Please help. Car doesnt start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
ej1gsr

Please help. Car doesnt start

Post by ej1gsr »

Sorry my english not perfect. Thanks

I have a 03 pontiac vibe gt.

Car cranks but wont start. I had replace alternator belt and tensioner pulley, put it back together and nothing
I had a mechanic that check the car and read the computer. Crank position sensor wasnt working.
Got a new one and no power to coil packs. Got a new ecu(pcm , computer) and still nothing

Need help please

Thanks
triz

Re: Please help. Car doesnt start

Post by triz »

Was the motor taken apart? Is the car cranking and not starting or is not doing anything. Seeing as you replaced the alternator make sure its plugged in correctly.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

I took the chain cover off the motor. Everythings put backtogether. Already check all plugs;(

Car sounds like if it wants to start but nothing. Spark pkugs smell like gas

Thanks
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Did you disconnect the battery before working on the alternator? Sounds like you may have caused an electrical problem - blown fuse or fusible link?
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

No i didnt;(. And how will i fix that?

All fuses from engine are good.

Thanks
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ej1gsr wrote: Crank position sensor wasnt working.
Got a new one and no power to coil packs. Got a new ecu(pcm , computer) and still nothing
Sounds like you have a open circuit in the engine electrical circuit. I'm guessing there was nothing wrong with your crank sensor - it just was/is not getting power. You need to remove and TEST each associated fuse - they can look good and still not work. Next you need a good wiring diagram so you can trace the power. Maybe someone here has a wiring diagram, or you can check the Matrix owners forum. Did you check the fuses inside the car under the dash?
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

I have not check fuses inside the car. Are there any fuses that need to check in particular inside the car?

Open circuit;(. How will i fix this problem?

And thanks for all your help
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

ej1gsr wrote: Are there any fuses that need to check in particular inside the car?
I think there may be related fuses in the interior fuse panel, but I don't have a GT and I don't have a wiring diagram so I am not sure.
An "open' circuit is spot in a wire that the electricity can no longer get past. Such as a blown or "open" fuse or fusible link or burned wires.
A fusible link is a safety device in electrical wiring designed to burn out BEFORE the rest of the wiring overheats and burns. You will need a wiring diagram to find fusible link locations in the wiring harness. Check all your fuses first.
triz

Post by triz »

Hold on. :shock: Why did you take the chain cover off? Did you do the timing chain or something. Your timing is probably off if you did not set the timing correctly it wont start.
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

I didnt mess with chain. Tensioner pulley bolt. So i had to remove the cover;(
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Check the AM2 and the EFI fuses. One's under the hood and the other under the dash (not sure which is where). Anytime the ignition is on you should have power to the coils. Are you getting any check engine lights or codes? If you don't have a code reader I suggest buying one $50 at most auto parts store. I'll look at my diagrams for the 2zz engine.

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the diagrams. Basically if you are getting fuel the Coils should have power.
Good Luck!
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

Thanks.

Both am2 and efi fuses are good.

Check engine light stays on but no code;(

Had a friend with code reader and it wasnt reading the signal from ecm to coilpaks;(
shaeet

Post by shaeet »

Not sure how to fix it, but if it isn't getting spark, that's the problem. Did you test the coil packs resistance? A theory I have is if you replaced the alternator & somehow reversed the wiring, you might have fried them. Had this happen on a Ford Truck my buddy worked on once. I think he was jump starting it & reversed the polarity & fried his coil packs & some other stuff...car still cranked but never started.
04 XRS 2ZZ-GE: Injen CAI, hotchkis sways, sportlines on gr2's, brz rims
(Soon For Sale) 05 Vibe 1ZZ auto, 02 WRX Stage 4, 09 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

I will try to get at least a new coil to see if they bad

Thanks
ej1gsr

Post by ej1gsr »

Coils are good.

Please help
triz

Post by triz »

Did you mess with the timing chain at all? Its possible that it might have skipped a tooth if in replacing the TC tensioner you accidentally moved it.

But first things first. Is your fuel pump coming on?
-you want to make sure your getting fuel.

If you have fuel. Check for spark. Pretty simple to do in that you can just remove the plugs one by one and ground them to a metal part of the car. If you get a nice blue spark out of each of the plugs you have spark.

Then the only other thing for me would be timing. (which brings me to thinking make sure your crank position sensor is plugged into the harness) the Crank sensor iirc goes into the TC cover.

One more question? What noise does it make when it cranks? Fast, slow? Hows is the battery on it? A weak battery may hide the symptoms of the car being out of time.