If I ever jump ship it will be FOR THIS!!!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
creekhed1

If I ever jump ship it will be FOR THIS!!!

Post by creekhed1 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCan0NM9jE

3014 Ford Focus ST

Its everything I want My GT to be but isnt!

canadave

Re: If I ever jump ship it will be FOR THIS!!!

Post by canadave »

creekhed1 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHCan0NM9jE

3014 Ford Focus ST

Its everything I want My GT to be but isnt!

If cars still have wheels in 3014 and aren't sporting hovertelepathic technology, I'd demand a refund! ;)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

I test drove a new Focus ST just the other day. I'm nothing short of amazed at all aspects of it, from the gorgeous interior (Those Recaro seats are very comfortable and body-hugging), the LED footwell and cupholder accents, the digital display between the gauges that has a ton of information, plus a shift light to remind you you have a 6-speed manual now. The look and feel is great. It looks fast, and then you actually take it out driving and it's out of this world.

I'm used to my little base vibe's 1.8L engine. The 2.0 Turbo in the ST feels like it doesn't even break a sweat accelerating up to highway speeds. The power delivery was pretty smooth for a 4-cyl Turbo, but in a good way. It just feels like it can keep going and going, and you never feel short on power. It's a car that just keeps begging for more. The sound inside is pretty nice too, though I wouldn't have minded hearing more of the turbo and maybe a little flutter from the BPV/BOV, whatever kind of valve that car uses.

My only gripe about my test drive is that I didn't get to spend more time behind the wheel.

That being said, 35,000$ Canadian is a lot of money for a Focus, and a lot of people, enthusiasts aside, wouldn't know the difference between that and the regular model. Not to mention with that much power to the front wheels, winter driving might be a bit of a pain, and it's not the kind of car I would get for a dedicated summer vehicle. For the price, there are many better options, either for a sensible year-round vehicle, like a WRX or something, or even fun summer cars, like a Camaro, Mustang, or any of the other offerings from the different car companies. Heck, a FRS or BRZ could be had for less, be more of a head turner, and still be a whole lot of fun to drive.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
robtco99

Post by robtco99 »

I almost bought a focus st about a month ago. If you look around on the net their are some forums for them. It seems that some of the focus st's are having trans problems already(slave cylinder leaking internally onto the clutch and destroying it and cracking the flywheel)and some dealers will not warranty the work blaming owners beating on the car and making them pay out of pocket near 2k. Between that, focus reliability issues from magazines, and having a good friend having her 2012 focus lemon lawed I decided against it.... For the price of an focus st with the recaro seats you can just about buy a mustang gt.
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

My plan is to wait....
And see how reliable this car turns out to be / not be...
and if it turns out to be a reliable rocket I will jump on a used one with a bout 100K miles on it in about 3 years....for a fraction of the price they are commanding now.

Hmmmm.... in 3 yrs... a Focus ST for about $10K used... mmmmmm....sounds ....FAST! lol
trb

Post by trb »

I would like one too, if I had to buy another small 4 door car. Hopefully I can drive one for a little while as Ford is having an EcoBoost challenge drive event at the horse track by my house in September. They will have all of their EcoBoost cars there for test drives and some performance courses available. Look it up and maybe there is a location close by.

http://www.fordecoboostchallengedrive.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
creekhed1

Post by creekhed1 »

In the past I ALWAYS preferred GM to Ford... by a LANDSLIDE... but in the past 5 yrs or so it seems like Ford is really getting their act together while GM is... asleep at the wheel! Pun INTENDED!
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

I know what you mean, Ford has really upped their game lately. Their Fusion is stunning, the Taurus looks great especially in Police Interceptor form, and the new focus, while I wouldn't want a base model, looks good. The ST is the icing on the cake. The Mustang keeps getting better too, shame they didn't keep the Boss around for a longer run though...
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod