CAI Vs. SRI? Experiences/preferences?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
mjowen

CAI Vs. SRI? Experiences/preferences?

Post by mjowen »

Just wondering if someone can give me their experiences with CAI vs. SRI on the vibe. Mpg, performance, installation, and anything else you want to add. I'm on the fence about which to buy. Thanks in advance.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Cosmo Racing short ram intake
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
KITT222

Re: CAI Vs. SRI? Experiences/preferences?

Post by KITT222 »

The SRI is definitely easier to install, since it's just in the engine bay. A CAI would need a few more things to get it down to behind the fog light. The CAI gives a sucking/vacuuming noise while a SRI give a throatier noise, and is louder. Both give a little extra oomph in the low/mid range. As for temperatures, the CAI kept incoming air temps down, closer to ambient air temp, as compared to sucking air in from the warm engine bay.
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

KITT222 wrote:The SRI is definitely easier to install, since it's just in the engine bay. A CAI would need a few more things to get it down to behind the fog light. The CAI gives a sucking/vacuuming noise while a SRI give a throatier noise, and is louder. Both give a little extra oomph in the low/mid range. As for temperatures, the CAI kept incoming air temps down, closer to ambient air temp, as compared to sucking air in from the warm engine bay.
Great thanks, from what I can find SRI's seem to be alot cheaper too, might just give it a go and maybe get the CAI when I have some more extra bucks laying around.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Also some people have reported hydrolock with CAIs if you drive through a deep puddle, although rare i believe
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

Doug14 wrote:Also some people have reported hydrolock with CAIs if you drive through a deep puddle, although rare i believe

Thanks for that. Is there a much of a difference between the cosmo sri and the k&n version, I can't help but feel like there is because of the prices.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Alot of it is paying for the name in my opinion. K&N MIGHT have slightly better build quality but the price difference is quite vast. K&N only makes them for the GT models, and the 03/04 with throttle body cable, and the 09/10 i believe, not sure about awd, probably the same as base models. They do not make them for the 05-08 with the electronic throttle bodies. I have a Cosmo SRI on my 06 base and I love it. I believe Cosmo makes both CAI and SRI for all models of vibe, except possibly the 09/10 not sure.
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

Thanks again! Looks like ill be picking up a cosmo sri tomorrow or early next week.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Righton, shipping probably wont be too bad for you either since your in Canada too.
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

Ordered it this morning, shipping was 17.00
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Yep that's all I payed. And you're a bit further away too!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I prefer SRIs for the peace of mind they provide. No worries about possible hydrolock. Although K&N considers the intakes we have on our 2009 Vibe GTs CAIs, they are technically SRIs since the filters are in the engine bay. The filter stays a lot cleaner being up in the engine bay as opposed to down behind the fog light too.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

The hydrolock prettymuch sold me on the SRI even if it is uncommon I don't want to take the chance.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Same here, I should also mention that the Cosmo filter does not come pre-oiled. You should get your hands on a K&N recharge kit if you haven't already
mjowen

Post by mjowen »

Canada Post is saying its going to arrive today, can I get the k&n kit at Canadian tire?

Nevermind that just checked it myself and they have it in stock across town, I'll pick it up later on, thanks for the heads up.
- 2005 Base Neptune
- Kenwood Double DIN HU
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

No problem!