Spun rod bearing.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
DopeVibeGT

Spun rod bearing.

Post by DopeVibeGT »

As the subject says, it seems my engine has spun a rod bearing this time. Considering I just had the top half rebuilt after bending some valve rods, is it worth it to have the bottom rebuilt or just buy a used 2zz? Or, trash the car and buy a none Toyota vehicle? :lol:

Problem is, I'm in the process of getting a house and can't get a loan for a new vehicle until closing. Any advice would be helpful. :cry:
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
DopeVibeGT

Re: Spun rod bearing.

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Anyone know where I can buy a used 2zz, low mileage and good price in central PA area? :(
zythr

Post by zythr »

I think you answered your own questions, time for a new ride.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

If you do sell maybe part out some of your mods. Make a few extra bucks that you wont make by trading it or selling it whole.

Otherwise:
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search. ... ge=1&iKey=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

car-part.com
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Your are looking at $2K for a used engine including install.

Ask yourself these questions.

1) What's the car worth...not what KBB says but what they are selling for in your area?
2) What's the condition of your car...clutch, tranny, drivetrain, body, paint and etc?
3) How many miles/years do you expect to get out of it?
4) FACT: Cars are an expense and not an investment! Can you afford to make payments on something that will do nothing but lose money?

If it was me knowing that this is a fun to drive, very flexible little car and I'm trying to buy a home this is a no brainer.

FYI my wife and I make very good money and drive nothing newer than an 05 and all of our cars have over 110K on them. The only loans we get is onthings that will make us money.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

I love the car, though. It's like a family member. :( I've had it since new, 10-11 years. It has a new windshield, ATC clutch only has around 40k on it, new starter and I just put a magnaflow catback on it (sounded sweeet). The car itself body wise and such is really good shape. Paints really nice. I do have a lot into this car.

But a 2zz isnt cheap. Even used with good mileage on them they go for $2000-$2500, then to have it installed is $1200-$1500. Brand new one is $5000+ install. If I could find a 2zz for $1500, I would go this route. I just dont know. :(

P.S Thanks for the link Kitt. I'll check that out. :)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The engine install shouldn't run over $1000. I'm thinking $500-$800.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Found an engine out of an 03 matrix XRS with 112k on it for $1500, 30 day warranty. I was quoted $1200 to $1500 for install plus fluids and such.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Has anyone ever or know someone who has swapped an engine from a 03 matrix XRS to a 03 Vibe GT? Shop just called and said the Toyota dealer said they are different engine. As far as I know, they are the same exact engines. Simple bolt in and go. Please help!
zythr

Post by zythr »

DopeVibeGT wrote:Has anyone ever or know someone who has swapped an engine from a 03 matrix XRS to a 03 Vibe GT? Shop just called and said the Toyota dealer said they are different engine. As far as I know, they are the same exact engines. Simple bolt in and go. Please help!

They are the same engine.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I was able to replace the rod bearings on a 1ZZ by just dropping the pan, and the bearings were relatively cheap. Might be worth a try, to see if it solves the problem, before tossing an engine with all that top end work recently done to it.
triz

Post by triz »

Get a new shortblock. They run anywhere from 1400-1800. I'll check my favorites list for the 1400'ish price or try DD Performance Research or Monkeywrench Racing. DDPR offers great customer service. MWR you'll be able to find a new or used shortblock. Used will run you about 800-900. And put some Amsoil in there when you get it. :mrgreen:
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I can't offer any additional advice as what others here have already mentioned BUT first attempt to replace the rod bearings. You'll have very little $$$ invested and if/when successful then you're set for several more years :D In either case, keep the Vibe rolling down the road for several more years :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
shaeet

Post by shaeet »

I have 3 spare 2ZZ motors in nearly new shape. They are all removed with under 30k miles on them. Problem is, i've disassembled them entirely to determine why they were removed with such low mileage and I haven't had time to reassemble them. I'm kinda close to you in central, MD also. I was planning on rebuilding them all and reselling them but haven't had the time.

let me know if your interested at all
04 XRS 2ZZ-GE: Injen CAI, hotchkis sways, sportlines on gr2's, brz rims
(Soon For Sale) 05 Vibe 1ZZ auto, 02 WRX Stage 4, 09 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Thanks. I picked up an engine with 45k on it. The shop installing it dropped the sub frame to remove the engine. This just sounds weird. Now it need aligned. :roll:

As soon as I'm settled in my new house, I'm getting ride of this thing and buying something with an Ecotec in it. Possibly a Cruze SS when they come out. :)