Ya'll better sit down..

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
CAMOGIRL

Ya'll better sit down..

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Those few of you here who don't know.. are going to be surprised.

I sold my Vibe, it's still in the family, and I will have the chance to buy her back once its time to buy a car for my daughter. You all probably know about the oil issues I was having, and that was a big factor for me. The person who bought her has access to a shop and someone who can help him fix the car for their own time and cost. I miss her :?

But on the flip side, I purchased my very first brand new car yesterday. I think most of you will approve :P

She's a 2013 Chevy Sonic RS 6-speed Manual with the 1.4L 138hp Turbo engine. I'll post more pics as I get them. This is just an intro, and I had to get in here and break the news...

Saying goodbye:

And Hello!

Well-behaved women rarely make history.
Chiadog

Re: Ya'll better sit down..

Post by Chiadog »

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! The Sonic is nice too.
I hope you will still stick around. :D
chiadog
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The new Sonic looks great! And at least you know your Vibe will be well taken care of. It sucks to see it go, but now you have a new, reliable canvas to work on! You'll still be welcome at the Pontiac meet if you want to come.

I think that Sonic would look HOT with the chrome grille trim painted red.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Chiadog wrote:ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! The Sonic is nice too.
I hope you will still stick around. :D
chiadog
I'm not going anywhere :) This is my family!
KITT222 wrote:The new Sonic looks great! And at least you know your Vibe will be well taken care of. It sucks to see it go, but now you have a new, reliable canvas to work on! You'll still be welcome at the Pontiac meet if you want to come.

I think that Sonic would look HOT with the chrome grille trim painted red.
Nick, I am really hoping to go. Gonna find some Vibe badging to stick on so as to be incognito..LOL. And you might be surprised, I was thinking of getting red overlays for the bowties, because that gold just doesn't belong on my monotone car.. photoshop made it look like rudolph. We will see... It won't be stock for long, hehe.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I think the red grille surrounds would look neat! And, isn't this a black tie party?

CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

OO! Do the 'V' around the fogs too? and headlight rings... The bowties are going to be dark gray CF.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Looks like a fun little car! Here's hoping 10 years has given Chevy some time to catch up in the reliability department. :)
Image  Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

CAMOGIRL wrote:OO! Do the 'V' around the fogs too? and headlight rings... The bowties are going to be dark gray CF.
Not a problem! I also "smoked" the blinkers.

I think the SEMA Sonic had red headlight rings, too.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

CAMOGIRL wrote: She's a 2013 Chevy Sonic RS 6-speed Manual with the 1.4L 138hp Turbo engine.
Nice ride you got there girl :D Although made in Korea it should be more durable than previous autos that rolled out of that country. Exterior paint is now water based (one of the first being done this way) so hopefully it holds up better than some of our Vibe's finishes. At least for you it is VERY affordable, and that is important to you now! Also your 1.4l engine has a timing chain instead of the 1.8l timing belt. That's a good thing. Not bad for the second generation Chevy Aveo, now called "Sonic" Looking forward to what you do to it ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

tpollauf wrote:Although made in Korea it should be more durable than previous autos that rolled out of that country.
Not quite!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Assembly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hecho En Michigan. This is news to me.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

WOW. Just when I thought GM was sending all their production facilities over to those Asian countries ... this is GREAT news :D My information sources are obviously outdated. Thanks Nick!

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

A lot of their production has come BACK to America, actually. Some of my favorites (Volt, Lacrosse, ATS, Cruze) are made in Michigan. Heck, I think GM exports cars to Europe from America.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

KITT222 wrote:
tpollauf wrote:Although made in Korea it should be more durable than previous autos that rolled out of that country.
Not quite!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_Assembly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hecho En Michigan. This is news to me.
tpollauf wrote:
CAMOGIRL wrote: She's a 2013 Chevy Sonic RS 6-speed Manual with the 1.4L 138hp Turbo engine.
Nice ride you got there girl :D Although made in Korea it should be more durable than previous autos that rolled out of that country. Exterior paint is now water based (one of the first being done this way) so hopefully it holds up better than some of our Vibe's finishes. At least for you it is VERY affordable, and that is important to you now! Also your 1.4l engine has a timing chain instead of the 1.8l timing belt. That's a good thing. Not bad for the second generation Chevy Aveo, now called "Sonic" Looking forward to what you do to it ;)
Thanks Nick! Yes, the car is made in Michigan! It really was important to me to buy a "Made in USA" product. And although it IS technically a second generation Aveo... the Sonic is about as much Aveo as the Vibe is Aztec. Chevy did SO much right with this considering the disappointment that the Aveo was. (Although it is actually still called Aveo in some other countries...*sigh*) I've heard people say that the Sonic has an "anemic" engine. I don't find it so at all, but all I can compare it to are my Vibe and the trucks and SUVs that I have driven. As much as I loved my Vibe, driving this car now made the Vibe feel like a minivan, because of its comfort and squishiness, I suppose. I'm having a blast getting to know this fun little car!

As far as the paint goes.. I hope if I have issues that it will happen during the initial warranty period. If I see others with that problem, I may go buy the extended warranty. Not sure.

AND.. Just you wait. I have PLANS. :D Its nice to be able to start out of the gate with being able to add performance mods.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey Camogirl,
Please write a comparison Vibe vs Sonic Hatch once you get the Sonic broken-in and you learn its idiosyncrasies.
thanks,
chiadog
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

I'll be doing a walk around "regular person" video review when it gets nicer and once I learn everything with all the electronics. There are tons of video reviws, but none done from the perspective of the average car buyer. Pretty much it will all be in comparison to the Vibe lol.
09SnowyVibe

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

Yup, bye bye Aveo, I won't miss you one bit....
Love the Sonic! Sharp looking! Was reading the article about the orion plant, and I guess that's where my old Park Avenue was built!

The only thing I'm not crazy about, is the black headlights and taillights. Just feels like it would be better with a plastic shell over it for some reason... Know what I mean?
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Sorry to hear you were having oil problems with the Vibe. Congrats on your Sonic purchase & may you have many trouble free miles ! We will miss you !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Very nice!!! And some red trim would make it even better!

Have any plans for different rims?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

star_deceiver wrote:Very nice!!! And some red trim would make it even better!

Have any plans for different rims?
Actually I don't. I REALLY like the RS rims, they are specific to this trim level only and look even better in person. They're 17". I'm going to spend my money under the hood first. I won't be doing much personalization for a little while because it's so NEW. Although I do have little things bugging me in my head that will eventually come to fruition. I'm looking forward to sharing the new journey here!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Congrats on a very fetching new car!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Congrats on the Sonic!

I actually found one that already had the red done... Red mirror caps and spoiler too, not sure about all that... Let's see if this works. link

Anyway, I have been pretty critical about this car being familiar with its predecessor... Figured it was just a reheated Aveo. But I have to eat (Vegan :lol: ) crow and say when we went to the auto show yesterday, I was fairly impressed! Of the various cars we looked at, I believe this one came out on top. Haven't driven one yet I think it might be good enough to get me back into a GM product. Kudos to them for making them here too.

So far the winner is either a blue or red 1.4t/automatic LT sedan with the slick MyLink radio. There's more than enough doodads at that price point. The turbo is nice in that it has a timing chain instead of the belt, and the FE is much better. Called the insurance agent today -- a brand new turbocharged subcompact is going to run me $2 more a month than a 7 year old Hyundai Accent. Unreal.

I'm interested to see how your fuel economy is. And also a curious question -- does the lower glove box stay closed? :? It wouldn't on the LT and RS cars at the show, and doing some window shopping at a dealer we found one that also had it flopped open! Not a great first impression, but reading on a Sonic forum it seems to require some force to close. That's about all I noticed that wasn't quite right with these things.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

ColonelPanic wrote:Congrats on the Sonic!

I actually found one that already had the red done... Red mirror caps and spoiler too, not sure about all that... Let's see if this works. link

Anyway, I have been pretty critical about this car being familiar with its predecessor... Figured it was just a reheated Aveo. But I have to eat (Vegan :lol: ) crow and say when we went to the auto show yesterday, I was fairly impressed! Of the various cars we looked at, I believe this one came out on top. Haven't driven one yet I think it might be good enough to get me back into a GM product. Kudos to them for making them here too.

So far the winner is either a blue or red 1.4t/automatic LT sedan with the slick MyLink radio. There's more than enough doodads at that price point. The turbo is nice in that it has a timing chain instead of the belt, and the FE is much better. Called the insurance agent today -- a brand new turbocharged subcompact is going to run me $2 more a month than a 7 year old Hyundai Accent. Unreal.

I'm interested to see how your fuel economy is. And also a curious question -- does the lower glove box stay closed? :? It wouldn't on the LT and RS cars at the show, and doing some window shopping at a dealer we found one that also had it flopped open! Not a great first impression, but reading on a Sonic forum it seems to require some force to close. That's about all I noticed that wasn't quite right with these things.
You found one with the flash package! That's actually the inferno orange. You can order them with orange, black or white flash, depending on the color of car you pick! I'll have to talk about mileage later, because I am having too much fun not caring so much about my mileage at the moment lol. I DO plan to eventually drive her nicely to maximize miles, but right now I am just having fun.

As far as the lower box, it had some issues when I went to test drive, however I have not had any since they discovered it. IDK if its because we have been shutting it better, or if they did something after they discovered it, but honestly I've flopped it open several times and have not had to use any excessive force to shut it.

I think the LT would be a good choice, but DEFINITELY get the My Link. It's priceless. I chose the RS because of the styling, knowing that I would want to spend more money on the performance end than the looks. I know if you were reading on that Sonic forum, you HAD to have come across the tune that everyone touts. I'm going to do my best to resist until warranty runs out, but IDK if I can...lol. My Sonic runs me $20 more than the Vibe in insurance.

You really should try the 6-speed. It's FUN! Also on that note, I ordered my first MOD for her. Aluminum shifter bushings to replace the rubber ones and firm up the shifting. :ugeek:

Dirty from the trip to school and back today :D
Ryan will say it's not. 8-)

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I didn't know that was an option package, interesting! Is that only on the hatch I presume? Those pieces being orange explains why it didn't look quite like the red on those cars. :lol: I like the inferno orange but not enough to pay extra for it.

I've seen them talk about the "trifecta tune" something or other (been researching the Cruze too, heard it there was well.) Not sure what all it does but people seem to like it. I'd probably pass. LOL!

Image Image
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

yeah trifecta is the one. It supposedly really wakes the car up and even opens up better mileage. Of course, it can void your warranty if discovered. I didn't want the whole flash package. My cyber grey is gorgeous as-is, but I think a little red will help at some point.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Oh warranties... Holding back modders from making the car what it REALLY can be. I guess if you have the abilities and resources to retune on a dime it could be worth it.

I saw a grey Sonic with the orange spoiler on it the other day. It looked odd. Then again, I could only see the spoiler, and not anything else.

What type of tires and in what size are on those 17s?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

CAMOGIRL wrote:Ryan will say it's not. 8-)
Meh, it's just a little grime... :D
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Wow, I am definitely shocked that you got rid of the Vibe, but I can understand why. At least it's still in the family. Very nice looking little Sonic! I can't wait to watch the progress of it :D! I really hope you can make it to the meet in Pontiac! It would be great to meet you and check out the Sonic in person ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

vibenvy wrote:Wow, I am definitely shocked that you got rid of the Vibe, but I can understand why. At least it's still in the family. Very nice looking little Sonic! I can't wait to watch the progress of it :D! I really hope you can make it to the meet in Pontiac! It would be great to meet you and check out the Sonic in person ;)!
I'm really going to do my best to make it!

In the meantime, does anybody have some Vibe badging or an extra arrowhead they want to donate to me? :lol:
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

CAMOGIRL wrote:
In the meantime, does anybody have some Vibe badging or an extra arrowhead they want to donate to me? :lol:
Yeah, a GenVibe decal on the back hatch glass would look awesome on this new ride of yours 8-)

CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

tpollauf wrote:
CAMOGIRL wrote:
Yeah, a GenVibe decal on the back hatch glass would look awesome on this new ride of yours 8-)
I may do that, at least for the trip in june so I can be recognized. I don't plan to have much for stickers permanently on the car though...
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

CAMOGIRL wrote:I don't plan to have much for stickers permanently on the car though...
I'm not much for stickers on cars either, but I have to say the genvibe.com metallic or chrome ones look classy. Not your typical bumper sticker!
Image  Image
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Good thing I sat down!

But the Sonic is a really great car. Not too many know that yet... since a lot of people think it's just a redone Korean Aveo, instead of an actual from the ground up new hatch from Chevy - and built here in the US of A! They also really put some work in while developing, too. It's one solid car.

You're gonna have to tell us what kind of MPGs you get once it's broken in. The 1.4L is quite the efficient little power maker.

Yesterday afternoon, on the way home, in a nice snow storm, my wife and I pulled in to our local grocery store and there in the middle of the snow covered parking lot, all by itself, was a white RS. I pointed it out to my wife and she really liked it. I does look great. I like small hatches... especially when they're that roomy inside.

You'll enjoy it. Sad to see the Vibe go, but it was having oil troubles, so sometimes you just have to do what you have to do!! :cry:
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Congrats on the new ride.

I like the looks of the Sonic but when I sat in one at the dealer it felt too small for me. I am hoping for a hatchback cruze to come to the USA and then I would dump my Vibe. I am very impressed with the Cruze
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I thought of you twice today! First, my dad and I went cruising through the local Chevy dealer lot where we stopped to check out a Black (I know yours is Grey) 6-speed Sonic RS (very sharp looking little Hatch for sure :cool:!). Second, I stopped at a local used car dealer to check out a 2003-2004 two-tone Lava Vibe that was sitting on the lot. It had a hole through the outer door skin of the front driver's side door, the headlight housings were all yellowed and gross and the interior was pretty dirty though. It made me sad :cry:.
09SnowyVibe wrote:The only thing I'm not crazy about, is the black headlights and taillights. Just feels like it would be better with a plastic shell over it for some reason... Know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean and I couldn't agree more! After looking at some Sonics in person today at the local Chevy dealer, I realized the Sonic's headlights and taillights make me think of the 2009-2010 Vibe headlights and taillights. I definitely think the Sonic's lights would look much better with some clear lenses over them like the 2009-2010 Vibes.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I like the headlights...

Yup, we have one sitting in the driveway now. ;)

Image Image
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

ColonelPanic wrote:Yup, we have one sitting in the driveway now. ;)
Congrats! Love the color.
Image  Image
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

vibenvy wrote:I thought of you twice today! First, my dad and I went cruising through the local Chevy dealer lot where we stopped to check out a Black (I know yours is Grey) 6-speed Sonic RS (very sharp looking little Hatch for sure :cool:!). Second, I stopped at a local used car dealer to check out a 2003-2004 two-tone Lava Vibe that was sitting on the lot. It had a hole through the outer door skin of the front driver's side door, the headlight housings were all yellowed and gross and the interior was pretty dirty though. It made me sad :cry:.
09SnowyVibe wrote:The only thing I'm not crazy about, is the black headlights and taillights. Just feels like it would be better with a plastic shell over it for some reason... Know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean and I couldn't agree more! After looking at some Sonics in person today at the local Chevy dealer, I realized the Sonic's headlights and taillights make me think of the 2009-2010 Vibe headlights and taillights. I definitely think the Sonic's lights would look much better with some clear lenses over them like the 2009-2010 Vibes.
I wanted the Black, but decided the gray was the better option, as even as dark as the grey is, any amount of gunk/dirt/dust/etc is already driving me batty. I fall more and more in love with the color every day.. you should see it in the sun <3

I saw more Vibes on my road trip to Des Moines this weekend than I did Sonics! :o None that I could park near though , and I agree, it makes me wanna cry when I see an abused Vibe! :cry:
ColonelPanic wrote:I like the headlights...

Me too. Love the headlights.. until I start cussing them trying to scrub the bugs out, lol.

and GORGEOUS! YAY!! CONGRATS!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

CAMOGIRL wrote:I wanted the Black, but decided the gray was the better option, as even as dark as the grey is, any amount of gunk/dirt/dust/etc is already driving me batty. I fall more and more in love with the color every day.. you should see it in the sun <3

I saw more Vibes on my road trip to Des Moines this weekend than I did Sonics! :o None that I could park near though , and I agree, it makes me wanna cry when I see an abused Vibe! :cry:
ColonelPanic wrote:I like the headlights...

Me too. Love the headlights.. until I start cussing them trying to scrub the bugs out, lol.

and GORGEOUS! YAY!! CONGRATS!
I sometimes wish I would have gotten a Carbon Grey Metallic Vibe GT, but oh well. I agree that the Cyber Grey is a nice color and I definitely prefer it to Black.

Don't get me wrong, I like the headlights and taillights, they just look like they should have clear plastic lenses over them. The first thing I thought of when looking at them today was how much it would suck to have to clean bugs and junk off of the headlights :|.

Very nice looking Sonic CP ;)!
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks! I'll get a thread set up once I get it cleaned up, it ain't real pretty right now.

We like that little car quite a bit. :D

Image Image
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I was just thinking about your Sonic today, then pull into my driveway and my husband's rental car is an orange Sonic! Those are interesting headlights.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM