FRANKENSTORM!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
joatmon

FRANKENSTORM!

Post by joatmon »

The east coast is bracing for a freak hurricane/nor'easter hybrid mega storm to rival "the perfect storm" the media has dubbed "frankenstorm"

I don't know if/how I'll be affected where I live in southern MD but further north up the coast is supposed to get biblically smited.

Those of you in the path, be safe, post up when its over if you can.
DeClercq

Re: FRANKENSTORM!

Post by DeClercq »

My parent's and sister live in Ellicott City, MD and my brother lives in Tall Timbers, MD. Definitely going to be checking in with them this weekend to see how they're preparing!
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

yep can't wait for flooding and power outages
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Wouldn't it be interesting if this storm caused power outages etc. that extended to Nov. 6th causing many voters in these "blue" NE states to stay home with the result that Romney wins the election. It would be equated to God parting the Red Sea so the Jews could make their escape from Egypt.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jake75 wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if this storm caused power outages etc. that extended to Nov. 6th causing many voters in these "blue" NE states to stay home with the result that Romney wins the election. It would be equated to God parting the Red Sea so the Jews could make their escape from Egypt.
Good one there Jerome :lol:

What will really s u c k is if they end up shutting down the refineries on the east coast, as the media is hyping it up to be, then we'll all start paying more at the pump again :evil: . Just when we were starting to enjoy the "so called" low prices we've been seeing lately :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

jake75 wrote:Wouldn't it be interesting if this storm caused power outages etc. that extended to Nov. 6th causing many voters in these "blue" NE states to stay home with the result that Romney wins the election. It would be equated to God parting the Red Sea so the Jews could make their escape from Egypt.
theoretically, if a statistical average of people in those locations were affected, a low turnout wouldn't affect the number of electoral votes for each candidate. However, lack of power and transportation might have a stronger effect on the voting in the rural areas, which tend to be more "red", causing borderline states to go blue, and it would be interpreted as Obama used secret government weather control projects to win the election at the cost of major devastation the US northeast.
DeClercq wrote:My parent's and sister live in Ellicott City, MD and my brother lives in Tall Timbers, MD. Definitely going to be checking in with them this weekend to see how they're preparing!
I remember when TS Agnes took out historic Ellicott City in '73, but your folks shouldn't have to worry about flooding unless they live right on the Patapsco. Tall TImbers, however, is pretty low and next to big water, but the current projected path should have winds blowing the river away from that shore.

My house is about 45 feet above high tide, so I am not worried about a storm surge, and I'm hoping that as the winds pick up it will strip the autumn leaves from the trees before the stronger ones come, which (hopefully) will result in fewer trees being toppled. Also looks like I'll be on the weak side of the thing this time, but this weekend will be a lot of getting ready to lose power when it hits. Stores tomorrow will be crazy.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I live about 50 miles inland from the Virginia coast. We've had much worse here in the past. I'm not too worried. I have gas for the generator. I'll get some extra food. I don't expect to have to go to work on Monday.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Joatmon, I like your spin on the idea. I never thought of it working the other way around and actually benefiting the Democrats. My tinfoil hat idea was that spinning up this storm was a plot to take out the blue states. I figured Romney was getting a little help from various Chinese companies he has ties to that may happen to have weather modification technology... :lol:

Stepping off my soapbox, I hope everyone on the east coast stays safe!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
FootScoot

Post by FootScoot »

I hope it takes a quick Easterly turn, and everyone stays safe. :)
Old slot racer. 2009 Vibe GT owner
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Ehhh.....dont panic about anything until you are in a hurricane warning. This happens ALL the time in Florida. The media hypes a storm comming, makes people panic & buy hurricane supplies & gas. Stores make mucho bucks, then nothing happens (removed). You end up with a bunch of flashlights & batteries you will never use. Normally you should have flashlights & batteries anyway. Prepare yourself but dont do anything in haste. Rememeber that tropical storm that was supposed to hit NYC? Im not saying to ignore the storm BUT dont start building a doomsday bunker in panic!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

http://hint.fm/wind/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a trippy animated wind map of the USA. Been interesting watching it change over the last few days

http://www.spaghettimodels.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has handy links to all kinds of weather tracking/status graphics
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Ehhh.....dont panic about anything until you are in a hurricane warning. !
for this one the national weather service decided to not issue any hurricane warnings because of the hybrid nature of the storm, too complex to go with a hurricane warning, just high wind warnings, flood warnings, coastal flood warnings. Parts of MD/WV are under a blizzard warning Trees are dropping down here, just heard a transformer blow, but I guess since we're not in a hurricane warning there's no need to panic ;)

been prepared for this for several days, now its just waiting, wondering where all the genvibers are
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Flooding in Virginia Beach and Norfolk. Not bad here, inland. I just had a couple dead branches come out of a tree. Still have power. So far, so good.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

40 minutes after my previous post, a large tree fell across the road and into my yard, taking out all the wires on the street. Somehow, in winds that intimidate me just being outside, the power company crews came out, worked on bucket trucks and got my power back on. Cables out, but glad to have electricity. For now anyway.

radioreference.com has streaming audio of local police/fire/ems scanners. A huge amount of respect to the first responders out there dealing with all the troubles. In addition to trees falling and live wires in the road, this evening my local crews have been responding to flooded roads, river rescues, multiple medical emergencies, car accidents, a major house fire with firefighter injuries, several storm crazed violent people, and even a road blocked by cows
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This storm if effecting us all the way over here in Chicagoland. We had gusty winds earlier today and they're supposed to increase tomorrow (40-50ish MPH gusts). There are all sorts of warnings out for high waves on Lake Michigan. They're expecting 18-20 foot waves and are warning people to stay away from the beaches, etc. I believe they're also calling for rain around here in the next day or two, but nothing major.

I hope all the GenVibers out east stay safe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

It was very windy in my region. Thankfully my house and neighborhood didn't lose power, but there were a number of traffic lights out and a few trees toppled over. Some areas in Bucks County are still without power....

However, we are in great shape, considering what happened in New Jersey and Manhattan...yikes!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD