What makes a GT a GT?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ligion

What makes a GT a GT?

Post by ligion »

What are the technical difference between a base first gen vibe and the GT engines?? Does the GT just have upgrade parts, and if so could you technicaly upgrade a base engine to the specifications of a GT?
Salsa Guy

Re: What makes a GT a GT?

Post by Salsa Guy »

About 50+ HPs. On the first Gen Vibes the GT has the 2zz motor, on the base and other it has the 1zz motor.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
ligion

Post by ligion »

Salsa Guy wrote:About 50+ HPs. On the first Gen Vibes the GT has the 2zz motor, on the base and other it has the 1zz motor.
I know those differences, what i mean is. Are the two engines a completely different engine blocks, or were there just better performing parts on the GT that gave it the +50 HP.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

ligion wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:About 50+ HPs. On the first Gen Vibes the GT has the 2zz motor, on the base and other it has the 1zz motor.
I know those differences, what i mean is. Are the two engines a completely different engine blocks, or were there just better performing parts on the GT that gave it the +50 HP.
Hmm... I'll have to watch this. I doubt they're too similar. But it will be worth checking in to.
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

ligion wrote:

I believe they're the same. The 2zz is a Yamaha developed and built engine. Yamaha probably did for the 1.8 what they did for the 1st Gen Taurus show 3 liter V-6. A supercharger can be added to the 1zz for HP similar to the 2zz., if that is any help :)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

http://www.toysport.com/technical%20inf ... _notes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE are of the same displacement, but their bore and stroke are different. The 1ZZFE “izzy” with the FE head is the quick response, high torque model- has a longer stroke ratio, to further improve the torque characteristic. The 2ZZGE “duzzy” with the sports type GE head is the high RPM, higher HP unit- with a square bore / stroke ratio. This allows it to rev and deliver power in the higher RPM range.

The driving characteristic of both engines are dramatically evident. In the 2000 Celica, where both engines are offered- the GT with the 1ZZFE is easier and smoother to drive- more responsive. The GTS with the 2ZZGE starts of lazier, and need lots of pedal- but ultimately more HP. Which is a good contrast- drivers now know the trade-off between drivability and horsepower. A lot of people who tested the cars opted for the more responsive GT model, although they were initially looking for power. The power band characteristic of the two engines offer a good choice- chooses which is more important.
Flip-Side

Post by Flip-Side »

The 1zfe and 2zge engines are worlds apart, though they started off the same. Yamaha took the 1z and did what toyota asked, they heavily modified it. The 2zge is effectively a de-stroked, and overbored block with molybdenum coated sleeves installed to take the beating from the added high rev limit that was gained. Very few parts are interchangeable between the 2, so saying they are the same platform is more realistic than calling them the same engine.

Basically, all you need to understand is Lift. If you do not know what it is, drive a 2zge equipped car. Fun as all heck. Also, all vehicles with the 2z got the toyota c60 6 speed manual, except for a few early toyota models that got a short lived auto. It was slow and did not hold up well.

The manual is the notchiest shifting trans i have ever owned, but shift feel is there and it is acceptable. I am still learning about it myself, but dont knock the 1z. It is a solid little (removed).
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
ligion

Post by ligion »

cool, thanks guys. I went searching early and found many of these differences and was going to post them myself. lol. But now i know something new =) thanks