Cosmo Racing SRI Install Trouble (03 GT)

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
LarryKingsShoes

Cosmo Racing SRI Install Trouble (03 GT)

Post by LarryKingsShoes »

Greetings,

My short ram intake arrived today so I thought I'd try to do the install. I followed the K&N instructions along with the Cosmo provided instructions and couldn't make heads or tails of some of what they describe.

The K&N mentions an EVAP OBD canister closed valve and some sort of mending hose. My intake didn't come with anything like that and the Cosmo instructions don't even hint at what to do with it. Right now I've got a couple of loose hoses that I'm not sure what to do with.

I thought I had it all taken care of and tried starting the car. The RPMs shot up to about 2k and slowly fell down. The car started shaking once it got below 1k so I shut it off to take a second look at everything.

I'm stumped. If anyone has advice, I'd love to hear it. Pictures of a completed install would be excellent, as well. I followed the instructions as best I could but I must have done something wrong along the way.

--

Just to make sure I did it right, what hose is supposed to be connected to the little hose mount/nipple on the new intake tube?

I just rechecked stuff for tightness and now the engine shoots up to 3000 RPM and slowly comes down (but I didn't see it fall below 2000 Maybe it would have if I had waited but I didn't feel comfortable with that). I turned it off after a couple of seconds because I didn't know if that was normal. I cleaned the MAF while I did this, if that makes any difference.
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
thebarber

Re: Cosmo Racing SRI Install Trouble (03 GT)

Post by thebarber »

Check your vacuum lines. They're wrong.

The tube on the Sri should come off the head.
LarryKingsShoes

I tried to get a few pictures of the different hoses and pieces that are unconnected. From what I could find, there are two hoses and two harness type things with exposed nipples.

Is this the hose that you're saying should go into the SRI?

This is one of the harnesses that has an expose hose mount.

Here is the other loose hose next to the hose pictured in the first image.

Finally, here is the brown harness that's, I believe, bundled with the MAFS.

Thanks for the help. I feel like this should be an easy fix but I'm having a hard time figuring out what hoses go where anymore.

I should add that I'm not getting any CELs yet.

---

I took another look at it and couldn't see any obvious errors. I started it up again and now the engine sounds like its gulping in air and the RPMs are fluctating between about 1500 and 2500. :(

I knew I should have left well enough alone and saved the install for next weekend. I've got to go out of town tomorrow morning and I don't think I'd even be able to get the stock intake in without screwing something else up at this point. Ugh.
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
LarryKingsShoes

Sorry for the double post. I just wanted to throw out a quick update.

I just took out the MAF sensor and cleaned it again. I also tightened all of the clamps and the screws that hold the MAFS in place (they weren't quite as tight as they could have been). Once I started it up again, it revved up pretty high and then settled down to about 1200 RPM (much closer to normal). The main concern I have is that it still kind of sounds like it's chugging. The noise seems to be coming from around the filter and it sounds like a rough idle/panting. After about a minute of idling it was at about 1100 but I shut it off in fear of something being wrong.

My car is now throwing a code but I don't have a code reader right now to read what it is. I'll dig around and see if I can find it. It should be here but it might be at my apartment. If it is here, I'll edit this post to include the code.

Should I plan on plugging the loose hose and exposed nipples posted above? Is the rough idle just part of the re-learning process or a symptom of a bigger problem?

I have to drive back to my apartment before class tomorrow afternoon so I'm worried about making that journey (about 90 miles).
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

This image from Cosmo should help. I can't provide much help, since I've got a 1zz, and I don't know the differences in how everything connects. The code obviously is related to the hoses. Get them all put back together, and you should be okay.

Also, this one from MatrixOwners is helpfully labelled.

LarryKingsShoes

Oh goodness, that labeled picture was helpful. I was immediately able to isolate the problem and fix it. As soon as I started the car, it was idling normally (for the temperature, anyway) and wasn't making any chugging sounds. I got all of the hoses hooked up as the diagram suggested and things seem to be in order!

I've still got a code but it may just be from before and it hasn't reset. If it doesn't go away by the time I get back to Cedar Falls, I'll swing by AutoZone and have them look it up. There are still two hose nozzles that aren't being used; I think they're from the brown harness that the Cosmo instructions say aren't used on the new intake. They didn't provide any caps for those so I'll just assume, for now at least, that they're safe to leave exposed and tucked away.

I'm going to retire to a beer and some intake videos on YouTube so I know what sounds are normal. Getting this taken care of is such a great relief!

Thanks a lot, KITT. If you were 21, I'd have to buy you a drink. :D I was digging through MO and GV all day and couldn't find anything like that. If I had seen that six hours ago I wouldn't have been so stressed.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

You're welcome! I'm just here to help.