OEM Vibe GT 18" wheels vs. 18" Enkei Falcons

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
vibenvy

OEM Vibe GT 18" wheels vs. 18" Enkei Falcons

Post by vibenvy »

I absolutely love the OEM Vibe GT wheels, but, after 3 years, am growing kind of tired of them. Add to that that I have never really been a fan of polished wheels to begin with. I have always preferred silver wheels. With that being said, I am considering replacing our OEM GT wheels with some 18" hyper silver/polished lip Enkei Falcons. I am worried about rubbing issues though because the OEM GT wheels are 18"x7" with a +39 offset, whereas the Falcons are 18"x8" with a +40 offset. I would be using the factory 215/45/18 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS/C tires.

With the OEM wheels turned all the way in either direction, I get some slight rubbing now, especially when going in reverse, although I hardly ever have the wheels turned fully in either direction so it doesn't happen a whole lot and it's not enough to rub through the wheel well liner/s or anything major like that.

I am looking to get opinions on how you think the wheels will fit, etc. Thanks in advance.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
star_deceiver

Re: OEM Vibe GT 18" wheels vs. 18" Enkei Falcons

Post by star_deceiver »

Fitment: I don't know off the top of my head and it's too late for my brain to crunch numbers.

Looks: Very shiny... If you like 'em - buy 'em! (IMO - I don't like shiny)

Tires: Would you be taking the tires off your current rims and be putting them on the new ones?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

IF you do, you know who would consider buying the old ones ;)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
trb

Post by trb »

Carrie,

I have 17x8 Mustang Bullitt wheels that I've been planning to try on my Vibe just for grins. They also have a 40mm offset, and I have 245/45/17 tires on them. These tires have almost the exact same diameter as your 215/45/18s, at 25.6" vs 25.7". But of course they are 30mm wider. I will try them on the car this week or next weekend and see what happens.

According to Tires.com - Discount Tire - you can even put a 18x9 wheel on our Vibes, as long as the offset is 25mm. All the 18x8 wheels I see on there are from 20-45mm offset. Looks like there is a wide range that could conceivably fit.

And since you are putting the stock size tires on wider wheels, you won't be adding to the outer tread width much, if at all. The sidewall of the tires where they mount to the wheel will just be positioned out 1/2" further than on 7" wheels. So any rubbing would be about the exact same as you have now.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

star_deceiver wrote:Fitment: I don't know off the top of my head and it's too late for my brain to crunch numbers.

Looks: Very shiny... If you like 'em - buy 'em! (IMO - I don't like shiny)

Tires: Would you be taking the tires off your current rims and be putting them on the new ones?
I had hyper silver colored wheels on my Sunfires and the color isn't shiny, especially compared to the OEM wheels. The Falcons do have a machined/polished outer lip, but that doesn't bother me. It would go well with the chrome accents on the exterior of the Vibe.

Yes, I would be using the OEM tires.
ponta2147 wrote:IF you do, you know who would consider buying the old ones ;)
Of course I already thought of that Michelle! You will definitely be the first to know if I do indeed decide to get rid of the OEM wheels ;)!
trb wrote:Carrie,

I have 17x8 Mustang Bullitt wheels that I've been planning to try on my Vibe just for grins. They also have a 40mm offset, and I have 245/45/17 tires on them. These tires have almost the exact same diameter as your 215/45/18s, at 25.6" vs 25.7". But of course they are 30mm wider. I will try them on the car this week or next weekend and see what happens.

According to Tires.com - Discount Tire - you can even put a 18x9 wheel on our Vibes, as long as the offset is 25mm. All the 18x8 wheels I see on there are from 20-45mm offset. Looks like there is a wide range that could conceivably fit.

And since you are putting the stock size tires on wider wheels, you won't be adding to the outer tread width much, if at all. The sidewall of the tires where they mount to the wheel will just be positioned out 1/2" further than on 7" wheels. So any rubbing would be about the exact same as you have now.
Definitely let me know how the Mustang wheels fit. I am thinking in reality the Falcons would be fine, it's just my paranoid brain saying there would be rubbing issues, etc. :roll:.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Just by he math, you'll stick into an out of the fender another 1/2" in each direction. When looking for rims on tire rack, did you input the make/model/year of your car? Most quality sites know what will titans what won't.

What's the weight of the OEM 18's? Personally I wouldn't run those enkei's as at 25.2lbs they're too heavy for my taste...
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

So, inch wider rims with stock tires would give you the tuner stretched look. This would also leave the wider wheel farther from the outside wheel opening and would minimize rubbing issues (can't say about the fender liner though).

I went the opposite route - stock wheels with 10mm wider tires trying to avoid curbing the wheels. I am lowered about 2" with the 17" stock 2.4L wheels and I only get rubbing when backing up. It is strangely variable - most times it does and sometimes it doesn't.

For whatever reason I think the second generation Vibe looks good in 16", 17" and 18" wheel sizes. I'd give some thought to moving down to a cheaper 17" wheel (and tire) that looks similar to the Falcon, which I do agree is an attractive choice.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:Just by he math, you'll stick into an out of the fender another 1/2" in each direction. When looking for rims on tire rack, did you input the make/model/year of your car? Most quality sites know what will titans what won't.

What's the weight of the OEM 18's? Personally I wouldn't run those enkei's as at 25.2lbs they're too heavy for my taste...
Yes, I did input all the proper info on Tire Rack and the 18" Falcons were listed, so I'm assuming that means they'll fit, but that of course doesn't necessarily mean they'll fit properly.

I have no idea what the OEM wheels weigh, but I'm betting it's probably pretty close to 25.2 lbs. I'm not worried about the weight of my wheels though.
Kincaid wrote:So, inch wider rims with stock tires would give you the tuner stretched look. This would also leave the wider wheel farther from the outside wheel opening and would minimize rubbing issues (can't say about the fender liner though).

I went the opposite route - stock wheels with 10mm wider tires trying to avoid curbing the wheels. I am lowered about 2" with the 17" stock 2.4L wheels and I only get rubbing when backing up. It is strangely variable - most times it does and sometimes it doesn't.

For whatever reason I think the second generation Vibe looks good in 16", 17" and 18" wheel sizes. I'd give some thought to moving down to a cheaper 17" wheel (and tire) that looks similar to the Falcon, which I do agree is an attractive choice.
I definitely want to stick with 18" wheels as I think they look best on the 2nd gen GT, but it's looking more and more like I will probably just be sticking with the OEM wheels.

Yes, the Falcons are the nicest looking wheel I've seen in a long time. IMO there's nothing nicer looking than a 5 spoke wheel.
trb

Post by trb »

OK, I played with the wheels I have. I can say they fit perfectly, and I saw and felt no rubbing on the one side I tried them on. I drove up and down my driveway and I usually have a small bit of rubbing backing out and turning the wheel, but I did not have any with these wheels. There was plenty of room all around the bare wheel, a good 1" from the closest part of the rear suspension. The wheel edge is right at or pushed out a bit past the fender depending on where you look since the fenders curve in towards the rear and front bumpers. Realize I have 245 tires, so they are about 30mm wider than the stock ones. I do like a bit of tire to cushion the rim edge, thus the reason I got 235/40/18s on the Vibe right now. The tire itself is almost a fingerwidth from the front of the fender liner on full left turn, and it is practically touching the fender liner on full right turn standing still. But like I said, I heard no rubbing while doing full lock circles on the street. The treadwidth looks tough, but I don't like these wheels on my car! I guess I'm used to the larger diameter wheels, and I really like the Vibe GT style. The Bullitt wheels do look great on my Mustang though. I might have to try the Vibe wheels on the Mustang once I get it running again!

Rear wheel:

Front wheel:

Whole car:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Thanks for all the pictures! I just can't decide if I like the look of the wheels and tires sticking out a tad bit from the wheel wells or not :|...

Opinions?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:I absolutely love the OEM Vibe GT wheels, but, after 3 years, am growing kind of tired of them.

I am looking to get opinions on how you think the wheels will fit, etc. Thanks in advance.
Carrie. I can't believe what I just read :o A few years ago you highlighted that the GT's 18" wheels were a big part of why you bought the car. Oh well our tastes DO change over time. The replacement rims do look sharp but I don't know about spending that kind of money just yet. If I were to ever get a different rim for my Vibe GT, they'd be the Eagle 192 series. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Prod ... me-Wheels/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; A classic 5-spoke design, available in 16" through 18", and MADE IN AMERICA :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I will more than likely be keeping the OEM wheels, just doing some research for the heck of it...
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

vibenvy wrote:Thanks for all the pictures! I just can't decide if I like the look of the wheels and tires sticking out a tad bit from the wheel wells or not :|...

Opinions?
If a tire protrudes from the top of the wheel arch I do not like it. I am a "lowered and tucked" kind of guy. I was also following an older BMW yesterday that had extra fat tires on it that were pushed out to the limit and I did not think it looked good either.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Kincaid wrote:If a tire protrudes from the top of the wheel arch I do not like it. I am a "lowered and tucked" kind of guy. I was also following an older BMW yesterday that had extra fat tires on it that were pushed out to the limit and I did not think it looked good either.
I agree. If the Falcons would fit exactly the same as the OEM wheels, I would definitely get them, but I am not a fan of wheels and/or tires sticking out of the wheel wells, so it looks like I'll be sticking with the OEM wheels.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Can anyone comment on whether an 18"x7.5" +45 offset wheel would fit better then an 18"x8" +40 offset wheel?
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote:Can anyone comment on whether an 18"x7.5" +45 offset wheel would fit better then an 18"x8" +40 offset wheel?
Certainly would. You are adding 1/2" to the total width, so that is basically 1/4" on each side of centerline. Then you are adding 5mm to the backspacing, which is just under 1/4",so it will pull the outer edge in about 1/4". You will end up with about 1/2" extra width on the inside edge of your wheels, about the same as the 8" wide wheels. But with nothing sticking out any further in the wheel well than the stock 18x7s. From what I saw in my test, that should still fit just fine and the outside edge will be just about exactly like the stock wheels.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

trb wrote:Certainly would. You are adding 1/2" to the total width, so that is basically 1/4" on each side of centerline. Then you are adding 5mm to the backspacing, which is just under 1/4",so it will pull the outer edge in about 1/4". You will end up with about 1/2" extra width on the inside edge of your wheels, about the same as the 8" wide wheels. But with nothing sticking out any further in the wheel well than the stock 18x7s. From what I saw in my test, that should still fit just fine and the outside edge will be just about exactly like the stock wheels.
Sweet! That's what I wanted to hear! The only thing that bugs me is the 18"x7.5" +45 wheel does not come up as an option for a 2009 Vibe GT on Tire Rack, even though it is listed in the size chart on Enkei's website :|. I guess if and when the time comes, I'll just have to call Tire Rack directly and ask them if they carry the 18"x7.5" +45...
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

i know on matrixowners.com you mentioned moving over the stock tires too..

i would leave the stock tires on the stock rims. if you get a new setup get new tires AND rims. then if you ever decide to go back to stock you just swap setups and sell the aftermarket on craigslist (or whatever is local to you). its extra initial outlay, but you'll likely end up with nicer/better tires for your new rims (and you don't have to pay another 40-80$ getting your oem tires mounted and balanced on your aftermarket wheels
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have actually been thinking that and have been thinking maybe I would be better to downsize to 17s too...
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

vibenvy wrote:I have actually been thinking that and have been thinking maybe I would be better to downsize to 17s too...
i may have mentioned before, but if theres any setup on discounttiredirect.com you like, i can usually beat their online pricing
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:i may have mentioned before, but if theres any setup on discounttiredirect.com you like, i can usually beat their online pricing
I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks ;)!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I ended up emailing Tire Rack the other day and explaining the situation with the two different 18" Falcons offered by Enkei. The Tire Rack representative (Gus) did confirm that although the 18"x7.5" +45 does not come up on Tire Rack for a 2009 Vibe GT, it will indeed fit and will be the closest size to the factory wheel. He told me to contact him directly if I want to place an order.
erick44

Post by erick44 »

hate to bring an old thread back, But! does anyone know the weight of the OEM rims on the GT trim? im trying to shave off a bit of weight in my car. Thanks any help would be great
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

erick44 wrote:hate to bring an old thread back, But! does anyone know the weight of the OEM rims on the GT trim? im trying to shave off a bit of weight in my car. Thanks any help would be great
LOL! This is hardly an old thread :P!

I would guess 25-30 lbs. I'm not sure though.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Okay, so I have decided I am indeed going to be ordering the 18"x7.5" +45 hyper silver/machined lip Enkei Performance Falcon wheels around income tax return time early next year and I am going to have the OEM Goodyear tires and OEM TPMSs swapped over to them. I am currently in the process of tracking down everything I will need to go with the new wheels i.e. McGard Spline Drive chrome tuner lug nuts and wheel locks, Grafx Werks center cap overlays, etc. The one thing I am uncertain of is the hub bore size of the 2009 Vibe GT (need to know this to get the proper hub centric rings). I know the hub bore size of the Enkei Falcon itself is 72.6. I have been told on Matrix Owners that the hub bore is 54.1, but I want to make sure it's not different between a 1.8L Base Model (which is what the guy has who told me it's 54.1) and a GT/XRS like the bolt patterns are. So, can anyone confirm that the hub bore size of the 2009-2010 Vibe/Matrix is indeed 54.1 for a 2009 Vibe GT? Thanks in advance.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:Okay, so I have decided I am indeed going to be ordering the 18"x7.5" +45 hyper silver/machined lip Enkei Performance Falcon wheels around income tax return time early next year and I am going to have the OEM Goodyear tires and OEM TPMSs swapped over to them.
Sounds good Carrie :D Post a link showing these rims! Also where are they manufactured? You have to be careful about some of the stuff coming from those other countries :o , especially considering you'd be riding on them. What will you do with the original GT rims? Oh finally, make sure you DEFINITELY set aside any extra $$$ for a 2013 future GenVibe meet 8-)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Sounds good Carrie :D Post a link showing these rims! Also where are they manufactured? You have to be careful about some of the stuff coming from those other countries :o , especially considering you'd be riding on them. What will you do with the original GT rims? Oh finally, make sure you DEFINITELY set aside any extra $$$ for a 2013 future GenVibe meet 8-)
Here's a picture of the wheels (18"x7.5" +45 hyper silver with a machined lip Enkei Performance Falcons):

I'm not sure where Enkei wheels are made, but they are a very popular reputable brand so I'm not worried about the quality of them.

The OEM GT wheels will be sold along with the OEM chrome lug nuts, Toyota OEM alloy wheel-specific chrome wheel locks, OEM center caps and probably the OEM TPMSs (I think I am just going to disable them using the info j42.snyder posted and stick with regular rubber valve stems for both sets of wheels and tires [summer and winter]... life will be so much easier). I am thinking I will probably ask $400.00 for all of the above since everything, including the wheels, is in excellent shape i.e. no curb rash, gouges, scratches, etc. This will give me about half my money back from buying the new wheels which will be a pretty darn good deal (4 wheels plus shipping from Tire Rack will be approximately $750.00). Michelle has already said she'd buy them, so hopefully I won't have any problem getting rid of them. As usual, my Vibe will be the guinea pig with the new wheels and then assuming my mom likes the look of them, her Vibe will eventually get them too.
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

vibenvy wrote:The one thing I am uncertain of is the hub bore size of the 2009 Vibe GT (need to know this to get the proper hub centric rings). I know the hub bore size of the Enkei Falcon itself is 72.6. I have been told on Matrix Owners that the hub bore is 54.1, but I want to make sure it's not different between a 1.8L Base Model (which is what the guy has who told me it's 54.1) and a GT/XRS like the bolt patterns are. So, can anyone confirm that the hub bore size of the 2009-2010 Vibe/Matrix is indeed 54.1 for a 2009 Vibe GT? Thanks in advance.
I thought they were 60.1 but I can't remember for sure. When I bought wheels from tirerack, they installed the correct hub rings on the wheels so I didn't really need to worry about it.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

gimmegimme wrote:I thought they were 60.1 but I can't remember for sure. When I bought wheels from tirerack, they installed the correct hub rings on the wheels so I didn't really need to worry about it.
According to the Tire Rack site, they only include hub centric rings with wheel and tire packages (I'll just be ordering wheels), but I will probably just end up emailing them and asking them what the hub size is to be sure.
gimmegimme

Post by gimmegimme »

They may have brought in some cost-cutting measures since I ordered 4 years ago, but at the time, my order of just wheels came with 20 lugs, 4 centering rings and a socket.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

vibenvy wrote:Michelle has already said she'd buy them, so hopefully I won't have any problem getting rid of them.
Woohoo! Just let me know if/when you plan on going through with this so that I can make sure I have cash available. Especially since I'll have to buy... tires, and whatnot. Lol. Good thing I conveniently need new tires soon.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

gimmegimme wrote:They may have brought in some cost-cutting measures since I ordered 4 years ago, but at the time, my order of just wheels came with 20 lugs, 4 centering rings and a socket.
Hmmm... well I guess I'll find out when I order...
ponta2147 wrote:Woohoo! Just let me know if/when you plan on going through with this so that I can make sure I have cash available. Especially since I'll have to buy... tires, and whatnot. Lol. Good thing I conveniently need new tires soon.
I am still debating whether to sell the wheels with the tires or have the tires switched over to the new wheels. I guess I will decide once I see what exactly my income tax refund will be. You most definitely have first dibs ;)!
TireToast

Post by TireToast »

Greetings, I really like the spacing of trb's mustang wheels on the Gen 2 Vibe. I'm looking at getting a new set of rims for my 09 GT. How do I figure out what offset I would need if I wanted to run a different width wheel but have them stick out the exact same amount as the mustang rims?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

TireToast wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:06 pm Greetings, I really like the spacing of trb's mustang wheels on the Gen 2 Vibe. I'm looking at getting a new set of rims for my 09 GT. How do I figure out what offset I would need if I wanted to run a different width wheel but have them stick out the exact same amount as the mustang rims?
You'd have to determine the offset of the mustang rims that TRB has. From there, you would have to search for rims that have a simliar offset. There are various websites that provide rim specs. Even if the offset were a little different, you could get tires that fill in the gap a bit.

I have 17s on my vibe and run 225/45/17. Those tires fill out the wheel well nicely, without any rubbing. Don't ask what rim or offset as they were given to me. They are some Milli Miglia's or something along those lines.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe