Ford and Dodge get it

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
jkm311

Ford and Dodge get it

Post by jkm311 »

I have owned only GM my whole life, but now that the Vibe nameplate is a distant memory and there are zero plans for 5-door versions of the Cruze and Regal in the US (they MORE than exist in Europe), I am really paying attention to the Focus 5-door RT and Dart 5-door SRT (when that officially does get released). Heck, even this rumor is probably coming true: http://t.co/NTIy1SdM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The Fiesta is tiny, but Ford gets it. Dodge gets it. Fun, hot hatches are sellers. Why GM can't get their heads in the game on this is beyond me, and they will lose a sale in the next 12 months from me, most likely. :(
Steelies to the rescue.
thebarber

Re: Ford and Dodge get it

Post by thebarber »

Focus is the ST and the dart, which wont be released as a hatch (iirc), is the R/T

I was talking to a Chevy salesman last month and he said the cruze was going to get a hatch version

Sonic will soon be releasing an RS version which has the 1.4T and suspension upgrades
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Yep. I saw the Sonic RS announcement today, but it's still going to be a weak car. Only 134 hp? Ford is stepping up with possibly 177 hp in the Fiesta. The Dart will have both the R/T and SRT, and I've been seeing Cruze hatch mockups/Photo'chops for two years and no announcement. But apparently there will be a diesel announcement tomorrow afternoon: http://t.co/TgK84tG2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That's all and good, but they need to really push out a sportier version to stay competitive.
Steelies to the rescue.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Chevy Cruze hatch has long existed. No need for mockups or chops. Now it's all about if they want to bring it over. To be honest the Focus ST is very attractive to me. But don't dismiss the Sonic RS just because it has under 10hp more than the Vibe, it weighs less than 3000lbs. It'll have more gusto than the Vibe. The Matrix is still being made, so that's an option. GM interior intact.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

KITT222 wrote:Chevy Cruze hatch has long existed. No need for mockups or chops. Now it's all about if they want to bring it over. To be honest the Focus ST is very attractive to me. But don't dismiss the Sonic RS just because it has under 10hp more than the Vibe, it weighs less than 3000lbs. It'll have more gusto than the Vibe. The Matrix is still being made, so that's an option. GM interior intact.
i drove a cruze with the 1.4T, its a nice setup....itd be nicer in the lighter sonic too. from what i can see, the 1.4T easily gets to 200whp

as for being weaksauce, do you realize how LITTLE they sell of the souped up models vs the regular

i only know for the matrix xrs, but it was like 5% in 2003, 3.5% in 2004 and <3% for 2005 and 2006

i don't blame auto manufacturers for holding back on performance models these days....who wants 25mpg and to run 91 octane for $25k?
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Look at the new 2013 Buick Encore 5 door (coming in early 2013). I seen it at the NYC Autoshow. It is based on the Sonic, but it looks a little fatter. Made in USA. Vibe like features.

http://www.buick.com/encore-luxury-crossover-suv.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Cue both the happy and sad trombone with the new release today: http://blog.caranddriver.com/gm-upgradi ... evy-cruze/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Line I like: "GM announced that it is investing $220 million to retool and equip its production facilitiy in Lordstown, Ohio." Yeah, jobs.
Line I don't like: "Those based outside the U.S. also get the Cruze in five-door hatchback and wagon forms." However, they don't say we *won't* get them. And yes, I know all about the already-existing European equivalents, Buick models and general Opel craziness that is supposed to equate into further Cruze options for us, but to my first post's point... they are under-whelming in the performance department and are still not green-lit for the US in their yawn-inducing forms. I guess one GM bureaucracy step at a time.

And of course another story broke today that said there will be big operational shifts in their vehicle-developing red tape-covered processes. I just don't know if I can hang on to my GM streak any longer...
Steelies to the rescue.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ParknVibe wrote:Look at the new 2013 Buick Encore 5 door (coming in early 2013). I seen it at the NYC Autoshow. It is based on the Sonic, but it looks a little fatter. Made in USA. Vibe like features.
But, because it will be under the Buick nameplate, you will NOT be able to get this in a manual :x Other than that it could possibly be a candidate for a future car in my family
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I have seen the patent drawings of the Dart hatch floating around the interwebs but I haven't seen any offical word on whether Dodge has given it the green light to make production. I like the looks of the hatch, especially how it really doesn't look *that* much different than the sedan. And hopefully the hatch bodystyle would quiet my one major complaint about the Dart -- they've got a great interior that is massive, but the trunk is barely bigger than what my tin can subcompact Hyundai Accent has. :cry: Really kills it for me since I imagine the Dart is a pretty nice road trip car.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an SRT... Dodge couldn't even get the R/T straightened out for release this year, it's been delayed until next year apparently.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

jkm311 wrote:I have owned only GM my whole life
I have owned and driven Pontiac my whole life. Since GM killed off Pontiac, I am no longer a GM loyalist. I will have the Vibe for a long time to come so I won't really have to worry about who's making what for a while, but I will more than likely be sticking with Toyota or another foreign brand when I do eventually get a new vehicle. All my previous vehicles were either Coupes or Sedans. I have fallen madly in love with the space, versatility and comfort of the Vibe so I will definitely also be sticking with a Hatchback/Wagon.

If I were in the market for a new vehicle at this very moment, I would more than likely end up with a Lexus CT 200h. Very similar in size to the Vibe. Yes, it has significantly less horsepower, but it gets significantly better gas mileage. These days fuel efficiency trumps power and I'm okay with that. I've certainly never driven "powerful" vehicles so I wouldn't be missing much and with gas prices these days, I am definitely much more mindful of my gas mileage so a vehicle like this would be very well suited to needs and wants, plus it's sexy as He ll :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Now if they would just give this version 175-200 hp, an attractive exterior sports trim package and a stiffer suspension... BOOM.
J_TO_ENVY wrote: I have owned and driven Pontiac my whole life. Since GM killed off Pontiac, I am no longer a GM loyalist.
Carrie, just today I drove by the shuttered Dunlop Pontiac in Bay City, Michigan where I was handed the keys to my 2006 Vibe. You can still see the Pontiac badge painted on the side of the building, with paper covering all the windows. :cry: I'm still mad they dropped Pontiac and not GMC. GMC is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, but rebadged Chevys with tweaks. So useless and redundant. The only reason I can see them keeping GMC around is claiming the vehicles are "different" than Chevys so GM can claim more fuel efficient models to bump up their average fleet MPG.

Keep Pontiac as your sport division and give the other stock turbo platforms from Dodge, Ford, VW, Subaru and beyond some competition.
Steelies to the rescue.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

jkm311 wrote:Carrie, just today I drove by the shuttered Dunlop Pontiac in Bay City, Michigan where I was handed the keys to my 2006 Vibe. You can still see the Pontiac badge painted on the side of the building, with paper covering all the windows. :cry: I'm still mad they dropped Pontiac and not GMC. GMC is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, but rebadged Chevys with tweaks. So useless and redundant. The only reason I can see them keeping GMC around is claiming the vehicles are "different" than Chevys so GM can claim more fuel efficient models to bump up their average fleet MPG.

Keep Pontiac as your sport division and give the other stock turbo platforms from Dodge, Ford, VW, Subaru and beyond some competition.
The former Pontiac dealer here in Sandwich took their giant Pontiac arrowhead down off the building almost as soon as the demise of Pontiac was announced. It was a sad day for me to drive by and not see it anymore :cry:.

I totally agree about GMC. They're nice vehicles and all, but Pontiac should have been the keeper in my eyes. Pontiac has much more of a heritage and was always known for being the sporty GM brand.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

It'd be easy to do a cruze SS ...they have the same ecotec 2.0L turbo in just about every car Chevy makes...

As for keeping GMC and not Pontiac...the G3/wave, g5, g6, torrent, vibe, Montana were all just rebadged Chevy's (and a Toyota)
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

thebarber wrote:As for keeping GMC and not Pontiac...the G3/wave, g5, g6, torrent, vibe, Montana were all just rebadged Chevy's (and a Toyota)
Yep. Some of the worst bureaucratic BS that came from GM's past decade. Awful, except for the Vibe, of course. I think the only original in your list is the G6. No Chevy equivalent to that, but I didn't like that car anyhow. But the G8? That can be a Commodore all it wants, because the Pontiac version was amazing. Clone that thing all you want.

Interesting note: I was headed South on 75 here in SE Michigan today, and I came upon 3 Dart R/Ts in the right hand lane, following each other single-file. They were dirty as heck and had M manufacturer plates on them. One black, one white, and one... highlighter green. Seriously. You could see that thing in a windowless garage with the door closed. They were being babied with RPMs, but it was encouraging to see the R/Ts being tested. Not even five minutes later I came upon a couple highly camo'd Fiats. They look to be a Mini Countryman-killer. Very tall ride height, flat roof with curves on the corners. You can see one on the left in all pics. Pretty ugly, in my opinion, but might be right for someone else:
Attachments
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%201.jpeg
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%201.jpeg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%20111.jpeg
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%20111.jpeg (64.7 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%2011.jpeg
fiat%20500l%20mini%20countryman%2011.jpeg (70.72 KiB) Viewed 4276 times
Last edited by jkm311 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steelies to the rescue.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

jkm311 wrote: Intersteing note: I was headed South on 75 here in SE Michigan today, and I came upon 3 Dart R/Ts in the right hand land, following each other single-file. They were dirty as heck and had M manufacturer plates on them. One black, one white, and one... highlighter green. Seriously. You could see that thing in a windowless garage with the door closed.
That would be Citrus Peel! That awesomeness even carries into the interior on a few bits of trim. Too much for me, Header Orange would probably be my "look at me" color choice. Though the Darts in Blue Streak are fricken gorgeous.
Attachments
citruspeel.jpg
citruspeel.jpg (42.06 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
citruspeel-interior.jpg
citruspeel-interior.jpg (98.09 KiB) Viewed 4273 times
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

That would be the 500L (for "large", I guess). Coming soon to a Fiat dealer near you.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/10/pics ... -divulged/
After first revealing its new baby at the Geneva Motor Show in March, Fiat has finally served up more information and images on its upcoming 500L. Spanning 13.6 feet from tip to tail, the Italian automaker says there's room for five full-grown adults inside along with room for their luggage, thanks in part to a rear bench that can slide fore and aft as need be. All told, there's a bit more than 14.1 cubic feet of cargo area out back, which bests the Mini Countryman by nearly two cubic feet. With the second row seats stowed and the front passenger seat folded forward, the 500L can also transport material just shy of eight-feet long.

In Europe, buyers will be able to chose between two gasoline engine options: a turbocharged 0.9-liter two-cylinder good for 105 horsepower or a 95-horsepower 1.4-liter four-cylinder. An 85-horsepower 1.3-liter turbodiesel will also be available. Later, Fiat plans to introduce a version of the two-cylinder designed to run on methane.

The Fiat 500L will be produced in Serbia and will be available with options including UConnect with a five-inch screen, a glass roof that covers five square feet and 11 different body colors. No word yet on a U.S. on-sale date, but we do expect the plus-sized Cinquecento to make it to our market, awkward looks and all.
For you coffee junkies, it will be available with an optional coffee maker:
When launched, the 500L will be the first production car in the world to offer a "true espresso coffee machine." Yup, right there between the front seats plugged into its very own power source will be an actual, water-boiling, caffeine-dispensing, java-juicer.

As for the G6, it was basically a rebodied Saturn Aura. I kind of like the G6's, particularly the 2010 GXP (the sedan, not the coupe with the hideous whale-tail). Maybe I can pick up a convertible one for the wife one day...
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

ColonelPanic wrote:Too much for me, Header Orange would probably be my "look at me" color choice. Though the Darts in Blue Streak are fricken gorgeous.
Agreed on all. Interested to see how they'll "Dart up" the hatch version with the original Alfa Romeo it's based off of. Spy shot from earlier this year:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.14.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-26 at 9.14.56 PM.png (137.87 KiB) Viewed 4264 times
Steelies to the rescue.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

g6 is/was also mechanically similar to the malibu...
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

After having sat in a Focus, Cruze, and Sonic yesterday, I have to say that the clear winner out of the trio is the Focus.