Sub Enclosure

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dinopiratedavid

Sub Enclosure

Post by dinopiratedavid »

Acquired a pair of 10" Eclipse woofers in a huge enclosure in a trade along with a mid-high amp, pair of 9x6s and pair of door speakers and when the enclosure is in my trunk it is like 2 inches too long. I'm completely new to the realm of subs and amps and such and was just wondering if it would be better to dissassemble the box, re cut it to the size I need, re assemble it then re carpet it or if i should just sell the box and buy another one. I'm not going for competition sound here just want some nice bass so if it won't hurt the sound terribly I'd prefer to cut it..
Also what's the best way to run the power and RCA wires? I read that you are not supposed to cross them or run them together so I was planning on having the power run down the driver's side of the car and the RCA down the passengers unless there's a better way. Thank you
Wolfman213

Re: Sub Enclosure

Post by Wolfman213 »

If i were you, I would simply put the enclosure on craigslist or go to a local shop and look for a trade. Unless you have the time and patience to deal with refabing the box, it would most likely be more hassle than it's worth.
As far as the wires are concerned, I ran power on drivers side and RCA's on passenger side. Can't speak for others, but it's the most logical in a simple setup since the battery is on the driver's side.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
GSlink86

Post by GSlink86 »

The way your talking about running wires is the same way mine are ran. To be honest you would probably be better off getting a new enclosure. Can be a pain to re-seal enclosures after alterations, which will mess with sound quality and performance if not right. Also depending on type of enclosure and dimensions of enclosure altering size could also effect the speakers negatively.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Those 10's must be pretty damn beefy if they need an enclosure that large.
You saw MY box and it houses two 15" subs.
I say trade down to a smaller box that fits. That one probably came out of a SUV
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

I second everything that was said here, I'd just look for a smaller box, see if you can trade. As for the wires, I did the same as everyone and ran power through the driver's side and RCA through the passenger's side. Good luck with the install!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

I would say build or buy a different box, Eclipse subs like smaller enclosures unless you have the titanium subs that will come to life with lots of power and a bigger box. Their basic 12" subs like 1-1.25 ft3 per sub and the aluminum like .5-.75 ft3 per sub sealed. Not sure what subs you have but those numbers should get you on your way to some good bass.

There is however nothing wrong with having the sub in a bigger enclosure if your smart with the volume control, as it will play a little lower, but it will also severely diminish the power handling characteristics and control ending with a bad woofer.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style