Grabby brakes?

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
lannvouivre

Grabby brakes?

Post by lannvouivre »

Before I start taking brakes apart, I'd like to know what exactly is causing this problem...

When I'm slowing to a stop, at a light pressure, it feels like the brakes are grabbing a little bit, then sliding, then grabbing, etc. over and over again for every revolution of the wheels. If I lighten up on the pressure or press harder, it doesn't happen. It's really annoying and feels unsafe, but I want to know what the cause is. I've heard that warped drums can cause this sort of problem, but I don't want to dissemble my drums and look because I'll have to ask my Dad's shop foreman for help and he makes me a-scared.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
bluneon

Re: Grabby brakes?

Post by bluneon »

check your front rotors for warpage.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

How smooth and flat should the rotors look? Mine have some really little grooves. I had this issue before I replaced my rotors a short while back, but the problem didn't go away. I didn't resurface the brake pads (which were still pretty thick) when I replaced the rotors, though.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Not certain, but your pads might have not worn as straight/flat as you think, and when you kept them on, your new rotors may have begun to wear unevenly from the start. I was very surprised how unevenly worn my old pads were, but I replaced everything up front all at once.
Steelies to the rescue.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

UPDATE: I sanded my brake pads flat and had my rotors resurfaced. The grabbiness and front-end hopping is GONE now!