Radio lights going out

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Vibewagen

Re: Radio lights going out

Post by Vibewagen »

Great DIY guide! Just registered to thank you about it!
This forum is full of awesomeness.
:ugeek:
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

This just started happening in my '06 Vibe. Very nice instructions indeed. Still helping people out nearly 4 years later.
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
Paco

Post by Paco »

Thanks Joatmon for the awesome guide! This turned out to be a great project for my son and I. The display works perfect. :D

I ended up ordering the 2162 bulbs, I like the 10,000 hour rating. Our theory on why these display bulbs have burned out is this, those little white rubber things that were on the original bulbs caused them to run too hot leading to premature failure. Just my thoughts. We left them off the new bulbs.

Also, the 5 screws on the back of the metal panel were 1/8 " . This is a really small socket. We only had a metric, it is between a 3 mm and 3.5 mm. We ended up finding a micro driver set at Lowe's that had a 1/8 in it.

Thanks again.
Reymon

Post by Reymon »

I just recently replace my radio screen bulb and still does not work??? What else could it be?
Reymon

Post by Reymon »

I just replaced the 3 bulb radio screen and still doesnt work?? What else could it be?
Tswit

Post by Tswit »

Thanks for the great instructions! We used the "74"s to replace all three burnt out bulbs, working great now. The best thing is that I did this project with my 13year old son who is going to get this car when he turns 16. He now knows how to solder!
Reymon

Post by Reymon »

My radio light still dont work, i replaced all 3 bulbs. Any suggestion?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

no idea. I assume other lights in the radio are working ok (the ones that are controlled by the dimmer switch)

Sorry I can't offer any info

Maybe best to look for a factory radio someone is selling after replacing theirs with an aftermarket radio.
Tswit

Post by Tswit »

Reymon, I can think of two possibilities for your's not working. It is possible that you shorted the back lights when soldering or you may not have a good contact on one of the LCD tabs when you twisted the tabs back in place (those tabs hold the LCD in place and are the electrical connections for the LCD). When you have your radio on, can you see that the backlight are illuminated but none of the numbers or letters on the display? If no, my suggestion is to take the radio apart again an check the new lights with a 9v battery and wire leads. If you have a soldering short, the lights shouldn't light up. If no short, all three backlights should light up. If you can see the back lights when the radio is turned on, I recommend you ensure that all of the LCD tabs are making contact with their respective contacts on the circuit board. I wasn't sure of this when I retwisted the tabs so I put a little solder on each tab making sure I got a good connection. I hope one of these suggestions help you, good luck.
woodyg

Post by woodyg »

Tswit wrote:Reymon, I can think of two possibilities for your's not working. It is possible that you shorted the back lights when soldering or you may not have a good contact on one of the LCD tabs when you twisted the tabs back in place (those tabs hold the LCD in place and are the electrical connections for the LCD). When you have your radio on, can you see that the backlight are illuminated but none of the numbers or letters on the display? If no, my suggestion is to take the radio apart again an check the new lights with a 9v battery and wire leads. If you have a soldering short, the lights shouldn't light up. If no short, all three backlights should light up. If you can see the back lights when the radio is turned on, I recommend you ensure that all of the LCD tabs are making contact with their respective contacts on the circuit board. I wasn't sure of this when I retwisted the tabs so I put a little solder on each tab making sure I got a good connection. I hope one of these suggestions help you, good luck.
I did the repair also. I used the 74's............what a PITA........My radio is not working at all now......I did a horrible soldering job on the bulbs........kind of a big blob......the other lights on the radio are working but there is no music now and the LCD display is not working............I have done full brake jobs that were easier......
2006 vibe, White, 1zzfe, auto, AWD, PW, PL, CC, AC, 192,000 miles....(07/14/2014). been working on my cars for many years. I am an OK backyard tech.
rmlmt

Post by rmlmt »

Thanks for the help. I just replaced my one bad bulb along with the other two bulbs. This thread along with this youtube video helped me gain the confidence to try and tackle the job myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TkGnDE ... ure=g-hist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

The Bulbs I used were bought at Radio Shack. They are Krypton Gas 12v - 50ma Bi-Pin Lamps. Similar in size but slightly smaller than the originals. (The part # at Radio Shack is 272-1154) I re installed the little rubber light diffusers on the new bulbs and just rolled them back alittle since the new bulbs are shorter than the old ones. Seems to be working fine and the new bulbs, despite the size difference, seem to appear to have the same brightness as the old bulbs. My soldering skills were not the best, so hopefully the new bulbs will stay attached to the board for a long time. :D
Rmlmt2004 White Vibe base 82,000 MI
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

Thank you "joatmon" for these great instructions to change the screen light bulbs.

I first changed mine using the RadioShack mini lamp 272-1141 ($1.69 each). These are 12V 25mA (0.025Amp) (Sorry for the bad quality pictures).
01.jpg
01.jpg (30.53 KiB) Viewed 11159 times
I did not like the results. 0.025Amps were too little Amps to light up the screen with the right brightness. So I ordered some T1.75 Miniature Automotive Light Bulbs #2162 on eBay ($1.05 each + $0.99 + Free additional bulb shipment). These are the actual size to fit the white bulb rubbers with the right brightness. They are 14V 0.1Amp (100mA) but they light up just with the correct brightness (I compared my radio screen with my sister's Vibe's). I think that the fact that these are meant for 14V instead of 12V, it will give the light bulbs a longer life. :-)
10.jpg
10.jpg (26.64 KiB) Viewed 11117 times
Last edited by Reaccion on Tue May 21, 2013 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonvibe

Post by jasonvibe »

you misread the label 272-1141 is 25mA milliamps not .25 Amps(250 mA) that's a factor of times 10 difference. Thus it's dim
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

jasonvibe wrote:you misread the label 272-1141 is 25mA milliamps not .25 Amps(250 mA) that's a factor of times 10 difference. Thus it's dim
Yes, you are right. 25mA is equals to 0.025 amps. I already made the corrections. Thanks!
Reaccion wrote:Thank you "joatmon" for these great instructions to change the screen light bulbs.

I first changed mine using the RadioShack mini lamp 272-1141 ($1.69 each). These are 12V 25mA (0.025Amp) (Sorry for the bad quality pictures).
01.jpg
I did not like the results. 0.025Amps were too little Amps to light up the screen with the right brightness. So I ordered some T1.75 Miniature Automotive Light Bulbs #2162 on eBay ($1.05 each + $0.99 + Free additional bulb shipment). These are the actual size to fit the white bulb rubbers with the right brightness. They are 14V 0.1Amp (100mA) but they light up just with the correct brightness (I compared my radio screen with my sister's Vibe's). I think that the fact that these are meant for 14V instead of 12V, it will give the light bulbs a longer life. :-)
10.jpg
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Thanks for your post, I used the Sylvania Long Life 74ll bulbs from Auto Zone. $10.88 total cost for the repair, the wife is happy her radio display is working perfect now. Note of caution, look out for the sharp metal edges on the mounting brackets, ouch.
04shadowvibe

Post by 04shadowvibe »

Anyone know if there is a way to remove the red from the LCD display while it is off to change the bulbs behind it? I have such a hard time seeing red and black together, infact I hate all Pontiac and now new GMC gauges because of this color combo. was just curious if this was an option as I need to replace my back light bulbs on the 07.
2006 Vibe AWD, Platinum/Graphite, Sun and Sound Package - Sisters
2007 Vibe FWD, Neptune/Graphite, Base
PAST - 04 Shadow Base, Moons and Tunes, Monotone, Traded at 23K for the 06 AWD.
treesap32

Post by treesap32 »

Thanks again for this thread! I was able to replace my burnt out bulbs and the LCD is working great now!
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

It's time for another heartfelt THANK YOU!! to joatmon and the other contributors.

05 Vibe. I replaced the bulbs with Sylviana 74LL, without rubber thingies. It took about 1 1/2 hours and went without a hitch.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Thanks for help here. I just did my radio (Yeah! success!) and about to do my brother's.

I got the bulb's quick from one of the links in this thread (Bulbtown - #2162 miniature bulb wire terminal base). They were .70 each so I ordered 10 knowing I'd need at least 6. My mission is to replace all (I think 2 out of 3 are bad in both radios).

The hardest part for me was cleaning the solder hole. I need 2 people or a "helping hand" type device to do it with a solder sucker. Alternatively, I heated a 3 inch piece of 20 gauge (I think) wire and shoved it through. As you heat an push it through, it "gathers" solder along the way. Pulling it all the way through should leave you a hole. I hated to heat up the bulb wire too much (to make it go through on it's own) because it's a very small gauge and it's nice to be able to put both wires in at the same time before you solder them in place.

Again, thank you very much for the great article and the mechanism to post this type material.
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

Use desoldering braid instead of a solder sucker. It works great especially when you add a little liquid flux.
It'll clear the holes pretty easily.
trevg

Post by trevg »

Not meaning to bring back an old post but mine just went out so I know this must still be relevant for some. ;) You can get the bulbs from here, http://www.corvetteradios.com/corvetteradios_013.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which charges $27 for the three LCD backlights and four button backlights (the non-LED ones.) I cannot yet attest to the performance of these bulbs since mine haven't even arrived yet, but it's probably going to be the most-OEM-like option you will find. Will post updates with pictures. Hope it helps! :D

Update: did the install, wow that was some tedious soldering work. Very happy with the results though, the bulbs are perfect, would recommend.
skimask

Post by skimask »

Just did this fix using #2162 bulbs. Those little light bulb "condoms" are a PITA. Totally wrecked one, half-wrecked another one, and a chunk missing out of third one. Got 7 bulbs left. Thinking if somebody wants their radio fixed and isn't handy with a soldering iron, PM me, send it to me, I'll take care of it.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

skimask wrote:Just did this fix using #2162 bulbs. Those little light bulb "condoms" are a PITA. Totally wrecked one, half-wrecked another one, and a chunk missing out of third one. Got 7 bulbs left. Thinking if somebody wants their radio fixed and isn't handy with a soldering iron, PM me, send it to me, I'll take care of it.
I believe the "condoms" are nothing else but diffusers for the light. I did not bother reusing them, I mean who in his right mind would reuse a condom? My lamps are "au nature" and shining bright. However, one of the new ones is out already.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
joebiloba

Post by joebiloba »

Successfully pulled off this repair, using the 74 bulbs. Even got those little condoms rolled on.

Looks great!

The past week:

Isimple hard wired fm transmitter install, heater blower motor replacement, actuator refurb and reinstall, and this repair....good week for the vibe!
jim2004Matrix

Post by jim2004Matrix »

My Radio lights completely went out, and I wanted to try LEDs instead of bulbs.
Here is the end result using Radio Shack High Brightness White LEDs #276-0024
Radio LEDs evening crop.jpg
Radio LEDs evening crop.jpg (80.1 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
jim2004Matrix

Post by jim2004Matrix »

Another tip on disassembly - In removing display, after straightening metal tabs, pull display STRAIGHT out from circuit board. There are two plastic alignment posts on the display that you do not want to break! In my photo the post on the left is partially broken. When reassembling, make sure signal contact pads are clean, and apply pressure over the contact pads when bending the four metal tabs back.
Radio Display Words.jpg
Radio Display Words.jpg (82.24 KiB) Viewed 8569 times
jim2004Matrix

Post by jim2004Matrix »

The first step in using LEDs is figuring out the polarity. Facing the front of the circuit board, the positive voltage hole is on the right, for all three bulbs. Positive marked "+" in the photo.
Radio Lamp Polarity crop.jpg
Radio Lamp Polarity crop.jpg (34.42 KiB) Viewed 8568 times
jim2004Matrix

Post by jim2004Matrix »

Here is the Circuit board with Radio Shack High Brightness White LEDs, PN 276-0024.
Each LED has a 1/2 Watt, 220 ohm resistor (power computes to about 1/4 Watt) in series with the LED. The resistor can be on either LED lead. The current in each LED measured 39mA. I used epoxy under each LED to conduct heat to the circuit board. Though in operation the LEDs do not get warm, the resistors dissipate the most heat.
Radio LEDs Circuit crop.jpg
Radio LEDs Circuit crop.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 8567 times
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

Again, GENVIBE to the rescue (joatmon, especially)

All three of my lights finally went out on the stock radio (yes, I still have my 2004 Vibe as my daily driver!). So, after a couple of months of trying to remember settings, I went to Radio Shack and picked up a couple pairs of the 12V, 60mA bulbs (272-1092) and set to work.

I didn't have any issue removing the rubber diffusers (aka, "condoms") but they are larger than the new bulbs. So, after soldering in the replacements, I put the diffusers over the bulbs and added a tiny drop of contact cement between the circuit board and diffuser to hold them in place.

The display looks good as new. I replaced a couple of buttons that had worn out while I was at it, but there is still a bit of wear on a few others.
John6458

Post by John6458 »

Thanks for the great steps. I just did the fix using #2162 bulbs. Working great. I have extra #2162 bulbs if any one need $2.50 for three bulbs with shipping. E nail me at John6458@aol.com for info and pic of bulbs.
Last edited by John6458 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

In the interest of full disclosure, I need to report that I'm having an issue with the LCD in my radio, one of the segments in the hour position is gone, and I'm getting a large bloom in the center.
lcd.jpg
lcd.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 7329 times
I've had this unit in my car for about 330K miles, since June '03. looks like I put the #74 bulbs in in June '08, about 170K vibe miles ago.

Is my developing LCD issue a result of using a different bulb, perhaps brighter/hotter, or is it just the kind of thing that happens after a third of a million miles of on time? I don't know, and honestly at this point I don't particularly care, but I thought it responsible to mention it
Tswit

Post by Tswit »

2 of 3 of my replaced lights (replaced in Jul 12 at 149K miles with "74" lights) under the radio LCD were out, so today I replaced all 3 with "2162" lights (315K miles). Looks pretty good, except I broke three panel clips (Just glueing them back together, hope the hold good enough)
dougreed

Post by dougreed »

Got me another Vibe. An 06 & the radio lights were out. Found "joatman" on the forum, followed his EXCELLENT directions, now I have radio lights!!! Thank you so much!!! I did have a lot of trouble re-soldering the new bulbs, I have never been any good at soldering electronics :x . All 3 tested & lit up BEFORE I put the radio in the dash, now only the 2 outboard lights work, but it's plenty. I got 10 "CEC" on eBay for under $10 so I can do my kids 05 Vibe radio! Now on to replacing 3 power door locks!
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Ill prob be replacing my Matrix with something newer in the next year or so, and in turn will be reinstalling the OEM radio back into the dash. If I recall, some of the radio lights were out in the OEM radio prior to me replacing it with my Kenwood. With this write-up, it seems easy and cheap enough to just fix it for a little better "curb appeal".
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Thanks for remind me. I went ahead and ordered the bulbs.

I still want to get a better radio - one with USB aux and HD Radio ability - but this will at least make this one less annoying.

Unfortunately, the tuner knob is still a bit buggered up. Maybe while I have it out I'll clean it. (it'll tune one way, but the other way it jumps around)
dougreed

Post by dougreed »

I wish I thought of this BEFORE I replaced my bulbs - Don't unsolder the old bulbs! Just nip the wire legs next to the glass bulb body... Then you wont make a mess of the circuit board like I did! :oops: Just solder the new bulb legs to the old ones! So much neater, cleaner, and easier... Now to find a thread that can explain why my power locks activate when I have the setting at '2 blinks of the dome light' - which I thought had all those pesky auto features turned off! :roll:
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Wanted to give a shout-out to joatmon for his excellent tutorial how to change the LCD backlight bulbs. I chose the route of clipping the original bulbs off leaving some existing wire and soldering to those. Might not be the prettiest soldering job, but it worked. Got my Kenwood pulled out tonight and reinstalled the OEM radiio for the fist time in probably 6 years. For those wondering, I used 2132 bulbs. I ended up buggering one of the translucent bulb condoms, but a little spit lube got the other 2 on just fine. You can click the 1st image to see my full-res soldering job.

Updated: So after getting the radio installed, I went to put in a CD and it wont take. I dont think taking it apart had anything to do with it, just frustrating that I spent the time to repair the LCD backlights, and now the damn CD player doesn't even work. Oh well, at least I tried. :mrgreen:

and the finished product....

2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
y0himba

Post by y0himba »

Off topic: but does anyone know the Peak Output and RMS Power of the stereo on a 2008 Vibe (base) without the Monsoon system? I can't really do all the fine work because of arthritis, so I just want to replace the stereo. I'm trying to match it as close as possible in output.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe (late, but your first post)
y0himba wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am Off topic: but does anyone know the Peak Output and RMS Power of the stereo on a 2008 Vibe (base) without the Monsoon system? I can't really do all the fine work because of arthritis, so I just want to replace the stereo. I'm trying to match it as close as possible in output.
No idea. At one point genvibe had a member who might have had insight into the technical characteristics of the radio, but I can't remember who that was. Probably a safe bet would be to go to a site like crutchfield and put in your year/make/model and see what they say is compatible. Those who have put in aftermarket radios in 03-08 VIbes with the sunroof, and therefore the additional amplifier under the front passenger seat have had to put in some sort of level converter between the new radio and the amp to cut down on loud pops.

An alternative would be to look for some sort of electronics repair shop in your area and see if they could do the bulb replacement, or a longer shot, post up your city and maybe someone here who's nearby can help you out.

Edit 11/14
Found this in an 03 Matrix manual, gives max power ratings for factory speakers, I guess that gives a ballpark on the radio output level
03speaker.jpg
03speaker.jpg (60.21 KiB) Viewed 3684 times