Sick Of Low Profile Tires...Any Suggestions?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
dpmw888

Sick Of Low Profile Tires...Any Suggestions?

Post by dpmw888 »

Hello everyone...I'm new to the genvibe forum, but glad that it exists. I can't think of a better place to ask my question.

I have a 2004 Pontiac vibe, base model. Love this frigging car!! I haven't hardly had any problems with it. It has 170,000k on it and still runs top notch. I had radiator blow a hole, blew my radiator fan and then thermostat. Got the Haynes manual and bought all the parts and fixed it my self. That has been the only mechanical issue I have ever had with it. Otherwise, just fluids and tires.

Anyway, my country song goes like this; I'm laid off and on unemployment. Girlfriend can only get 20-25 hours of work. We are struggling pretty bad, like a lot of other American's these days. We need new tires and can't afford a new set of Low Profiles.

?? Question is ??: Is there an alternative to low profile tires for my vibe?......Low Profiles are so pricey......Can I put a smaller stock steely rims on it with regular tires? Would that work? If so, what size? I just can't afford the 400-500 some bucks for low pro's...I just want to put some other tires on it rather than low profiles.

I'm not concerned with looks...just affordability. I sure hope there is an alternative.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or ideas. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
David
Pops

Re: Sick Of Low Profile Tires...Any Suggestions?

Post by Pops »

Here is a tire/wheel calculator I found online: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. Input the original parameters and juggle the new parameters to match your new wheels. Hope this helps
'09' Pontiac Vibe GT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Assuming your initial info as stated is correct, you're already at the smallest tire that the Vibe should take. The base model came with 16" steel rims which do not take low profile tires. Other models take 17' & 18" rims and those tires will set you back some serious $$$. If there is a set of 15" out there that would fit, you'd have to acquire the rims AND put some rubber on them. I'd think just getting a new budget set of 16" for your current steel rims is the most economical way to go. Keep us posted and upload some pics of your Vibe. :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
DennisLee

Post by DennisLee »

Have you tried searching for places that sell Used tires? Sometimes you can get a reasonable price on a couple of pairs from either salvage yards or places that specialize in selling upgraded aftermarket rims (selling the trade-ins). You won't get as much mileage as you would out of a new set but if it can get you by for a year or two until your situation improves, it may work for you.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

You might be able to find some chinese-made tires for a good price (mine are Triangle and they're decent.) Otherwise, see if you can find a set of 15'' steelies w/ some tires, that's what I use for my winter setup and everything's good.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

The 205/55R16 used on the Vibe is not a particularly pricey tire. I just got 4 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring in that size installed today for $127 each mounted, stems and balanced, plus sales tax. There are cheaper tires and more expensive ones. With the price of oil up nowdays, tires are up in price also. The 195/70R14 on my Ranger, also in a Uniroyal TP AWP II is somewhere around a $110. These are tire store prices, small family tire store, I pay more and don't mind, they don't jack me around like the chain stores do.

I guess what I'm saying is that I understand your issue with forking out $400 to $500 you don't have for tires, but its darn difficult to buy anything, any size, for under a hundred dollars. Mounting and balancing is going up too as labor costs rise.

Doing a search on Discount Tire Direct

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc ... lse&cs=205

For stock size tires for the Vibe, returns lots of results for under a hundred each, starting at $71 each and several good tires, Hankook and Goodyear, among others, in the $80'ish range, all with free shipping. Do you know someone who could mount and balance them cheap or free?

Charles
Canker

Post by Canker »

I put an old set of 15" rims I had left over after I sold my old dodge caravan on mine. The vibe came with generic mud/snow tires on it's stock 16" rims and my 15" rims had a brand new set of pirellis on them and happened to be the right diameter to keep the speedo correct. Vibes use a pretty standard 5x100 rim size so it shouldn't be hard to find some cheap if you really want too. The 15s do ride a bit better but I don't know how much of that comes for having a taller sidewall and how much comes from better tires.
03 Pontiac Vibe95 Mazda Miata
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

If your low on cash I would suggest some used tires at a local tire shop. Just inspect them very carefully.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

If you have one nearby, check out Pep Boys. They're always advertising buy 3 tires get the 4th one free, etc. Granted they're not major namebrand tires, but as others have said, they would at least get you by until your situation improves.

Best of luck.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Scour Craigslist or other local classifieds....205-55-16 is a common OEM size. You should be able to find a decent set of used all seasons for $200o