Static Buzz in Aftermarket Sound System?

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
vibedrive

Static Buzz in Aftermarket Sound System?

Post by vibedrive »

This problem is actually not specific to Vibes. but it is in my Vibe and I cannot get an answer out of the Parrot forum.
I had a "professionally certified" Parrot installation shop install my MKi9200 Bluetooth system in my 2005 Vibe with Moons & Tunes. When I went to pick it up, the shop said "Oh, we didn't know you had an OEM pre-amplifier standard in this vehicle". They jumpered the Parrot wires in so now this system is "double amplified" which I guess is the core issue. So, this system works... sort of. But there is a constant annoying "buzz" sound that sounds like the spark plugs firing that is affecting the audio. I can hear the change in RPMs. This is most noticed during audiobooks & podcasts (the system runs my ipod). It seems to have
Please don't advise me to take it back to the installer. I've already fought that battle and the only option left is reporting to the Better Business Bureau. I've spent over $500US to get this usable.

Maybe It's time to just pull it out and try a different system (Pioneer?)?.
Who is the highest rated national chain of car audio installion/sales?

Please, I have found plenty of extremely talented people on GenVibe, and now I need more advise.
T.I.A.
Kip in Tacoma.
djkeev

Re: Static Buzz in Aftermarket Sound System?

Post by djkeev »

Hearing the engine ignition is indeed annoying!

In the old days they installed resistors to filter out such noises. I haven't heard many problems with newer cars and sound systems.

First check for proper grounding of the unit/units.
Too small of a ground wire, too many devices on a single ground wire. The factory ground wire is often used for the factory device, Not the increased power replacement units. Add another ground wire or two.
Try moving any installed wires to a different route path.
You could also purchase aluminum shielding harnesses to prevent stay signal leaks.

Check that speaker polarity is correct + to + And - to - often there is a stripe or a rib on one of the speaker wires to help you verify proper wiring. Also different color wires are used as well.

Where is your power pulled from for the units?

Can you bypass part of your multiple amp system and make it work?
Install the old head, does It work ok?

I hate Hate HATE "professionals" that take your money and do a shade tree quality job!

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
vibedrive

Post by vibedrive »

djkeev wrote:Hearing the engine ignition is indeed annoying!

I hate Hate HATE "professionals" that take your money and do a shade tree quality job!

Dave
Thanks, I will try your solutions. Oh, and when I went back to Car Toys, the "professional" installers? They looked at it for 1/2 hour and said, "Sorry,can't figure this one out but we CAN sell you another great audio system today!"
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........

The problem started when I made my appointment with them they ASSURED me that they had the proper wiring harness specific for my car and this audio system in the shop. Then on the day I brought it in they told me that they did not have any harness for this, and that is was better to simply splice and solder it in anyway. I wish I could turn back the clock and start over.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

On the grounds, make sure the metal they touch has had any paint scraped away and the terminal is properly installed on the wire.
Make sure the grounding point is part of the chassis and not simply a flimsy reinforcement of pastic bits thus are not grounded well....if at all.
Ground wires should be short, 2 feet is the max!

Sometimes if all else fails a unit like this can help.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bottom line, your installer did a (removed) poor job and did not plan for the possibility of engine noise. Turn signals and wipers can make popping noises when turned on as well.

Good luck!

Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Wow! Automatic Editing! Wasn't even an objectionable word! :)
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)