It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring

Post by journeyforce »

So looking at the Scion website I see that in Spring of 2012, Scion is going to be offering as a nearly 2013 a 200hp RWD sports car with a boxer type engine. It is called Scion FR-S and has a 6 spd stick or 6 spd auto (finally Toyota starts offering entry level cars with a auto trans that is not just a 4spd)http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/index.htmlI think it is bold move on Toyota's part to offer a RWD car under the Scion nameIt seems to be a joint effort by Toyota and Subaru
jake75

Re: It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring (journeyforce)

Post by jake75 »

Noted on the websiteYour Scion No haggle. no hassle.Pure Price - a Definition"Pure Price means that the price you see posted – in an ad, on the dealer's website, or on a menu display board in the dealership – is the price you will pay. This includes vehicles, accessories, and even finance and insurance products. All our prices are clearly posted.Why use Pure Price?Our customers told us they want a shorter, simpler process with less pressure – and we listened. With the Scion Pure Price Solution, you don't have to negotiate price – or sit around the dealership waiting for someone to 'crunch the numbers.' "My take on this - "with pure price you don't have to negotiate the price, you can pay full msrp (or more)." In fairness - the spread between msrp and invoice is rather narrow so there probably isn't much negotiating room anyway. However, the last brand to try this (Saturn) isn't around anymore.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
DeClerq

Re: It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring (jake75)

Post by DeClerq »

Subaru gets a version also: the BRZ http://www.subaru.com/brz/2013/index.html
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
06pvibe

Re: It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring (journeyforce)

Post by 06pvibe »

A perfectly square engine too, 86mm x 86mm, 200hp @7k, 151 lb.ft. @6.6k? It should be a screamer. Interesting. I wonder how much torque is available on the bottom end? It runs on Premium fuel and is not boosted as near as I can tell. 'Wonder why?A lot of questions but they're not giving too much info at this stage of the game. Of course I didn't download all the Press Kit stuff either.It looks good!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I think I like the Subaru better - but they look almost identical.I wish all makers would switch to "Pure Price". The best buying experience I ever had was at a no-haggle Honda dealer where I paid $400 over invoice. Unless Subaru does a no-haggle thing as well I can't imagine a lot of people won't look at the Scion's clearly marked price and then run over to Subaru and have them undercut it by a few hundred.Anyway, love the idea of the RWD. All those old Nissan 240sx are about spent and that crowd needs new autocrossers.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

They did not give prices but I figure it is going to be cheap enough since Scion is the entry level brand for 20 somethings. Toyota is trying to bring in young customers in order to entice them to buy Toyota products every time they need a new car(start driving with Scion and end your driving days in a Lexus sort of thing)The new Scion IQ does not look special. It looks like they chopped down a Scion XA and called it a new name. The TC is a nice looking car but it looks all show and no go.This new sports car looks promising and it is RWD. How many cars are RWD and affordable and not a truck or SUV? I don't see any in Toyota(except in Lexus)
journeyforce

Re: It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD sports car this spring (jake75)

Post by journeyforce »

You right about the last brand having no haggle/different kind of car is not there anymore.But it is not the no haggle thing that killed Saturn. The first 5 year or so Saturn was overwhelmed with orders and could not keep up with the demand because Saturn cars looked like no other. The styling was boxy but aerodynamic at the same time. It was like it was a homage to the boxy cars of the 1980's and also looking toward the future of areo styled cars. There was picnics and bring your car back to the factory events.Then in 1996 the Saturn S-Series was redesigned and wound up looking generic and like every other car out there. The magic was lost. Even then the S-Series sold very well. But then came the choice to make a more expensive mediocre car called the L-Series and to drop the S-Series in favor of the Ion and that was the endGM did not bother promoting the Astra(which was a good European type car) and the AuraI must say that if I could get my hands on a nice condition 1990-1995 Saturn S-Series sedan, I would get it. I like the looks
DeClercq

Re: It looks like Scion is going to be offering a 200hp RWD

Post by DeClercq »

'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

This is the issue described in Toyota's TSB warning to dealers about lousy build quality on these cars, right? :lol:
Some 2013 Scion FR-S vehicles may exhibit a condition where body panel fitting may not meet customer expectations.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Actually I think the pole fixed the ill fitting body panels :lol:
BlueCrush