Has anyone used E-15?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
acvw74

Has anyone used E-15?

Post by acvw74 »

Normally I'm not interested in ethanol laced gas...but it is getting extremely difficult to purchace gas that isn't a cocktail. This afternoon stopped at a FS station along my commute..I didn't want to turn the fuel light on again :lol:. It has been years since I used FS gas but today I noticed that they had a plethora of different blend...their base fuel was 89 octane (10% etoh max) then on another pump E-15 (10% etoh min and 15% max) E-4?(don't remember) and E-85. The only reason I looked at E-15 was it was .29 per gallon cheaper....noticable since gas went up .25 today :evil: .

Thoughts - Comments?
jake75

Re: Has anyone used E-15?

Post by jake75 »

I have not seen any E-15 in the Columbus, OH area. I'd rather have E-0 but it is hard to find anything that isn't labeled "up to 10% ethanol".
This is not based on anything but prejudice and skepticism.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

this brings up a good set of questions and lean towards my Scion XB with the 2.4l because it be under warranty

I know the Feds are trying to go to E15 to ween us off overseas oil and to help the corn growers.

Toyota says that E15 might damage the engine and they would deny warranty repairs on it. If the feds mandate all gas sold in the USA have E15 in it (85% gas and 15% eth) then does Toyota have any rights to deny a warranty? It is Toyota's fault for not making the engine E15 compliant(especially since the Feds and states have been talking about this since the 1990's)

Now what about the Feds? Are they liable for damaged engines? If they mandate E15 for all gas then lots of engines are going to get damaged. I am not talking about engined in a 1964 Impala or some old car but engines in 2012 models. it is nice and dandy to save consumers 4 billion dollars in gas fees but not when it takes $16 billion in damaged engines to do it.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

My understanding is as follows:
Up to E-15 is now permitted as the US Govt in its wisdom has determined it will not harm modern engines. But if it does, you are SOL as far as getting Uncle Sam to pay for it.
The US Govt does not require ethanol in all gasoline - but does require that a given amount of ethanol overall be used in gasoline. As gasoline use declines, to reach that level of use more ethanol needed to be added to gasoline so virtually all US gasoline is now 10% ethanol. In most states labeling ethanol in gasoline is not required. They sell you something they call gasoline but it is really a 90/10 gasoline-ethanol blend. When ham producers add water they at least have to label what they added and in what amount. The new labels (where required) will probably only state the upper limit - e.g. Contains up to 15% ethanol. But I also heard that separate pumps will be required for ethanol higher than 10% as older engines cannot handle a fuel with more than 10% ethanol. In that case, 15% ethanol gasoline will rarely be offered as few gas stations are going to handle yet another variety of gasoline. Ethanol is more expensive than gasoline and with the elimination of the subsidies for ethanol production gas prices likely are 5-10 cents a gallon more than they would have been. The EPA mpg numbers are based on 100% gasoline - but we all are using a lower energy 90/10 blend so those government numbers are a lie. If we lie to the govt. we go to jail. If the govt. lies to us . . . well . . . .
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."