2012 Atlantic Hurricane season

Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, North & South Carolina
joatmon

2012 Atlantic Hurricane season

Post by joatmon »

Already had Atlantic tropical storm Alberto, and it looks like potential for another tropical storm to the impact SE beaches (SC/NC) later this weekend. Hurricane season doesn't officially start until 6/1

Global warming? 2012 Mayan apocalypse? Terrorists? Invaders from space? Sharktopus? I don't know about that, but I do know that I'm not ready to start worrying about the big blows yet, it's too early.

My (ex)favorite hurricane tracker site, stormpulse.com, has gone commercial and now they are teh suck. What are some still good storm sites?
crazytrain

Re: 2012 Atlantic Hurricane season

Post by crazytrain »

I always use the National Hurricane Center website: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2006 Stealth Vibe <-- Current
2010 Subaru Forester <-- Wife's Current
I miss my 1992 Saturn SC2 - drove it for 12 years
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I hate hurricane season. Sitting in your house for hours, usually without power, wondering if that next wind gust is going to the one that takes the roof off the house, or uproots a big tree in the yard. It's very stressful. It's the worst thing about summer. S.E. Virginia / Outer Banks NC. gets hit with something every year. At least we've never been hit by a Katrina.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

KNINE wrote:I hate hurricane season. Sitting in your house for hours, usually without power, wondering if that next wind gust is going to the one that takes the roof off the house, or uproots a big tree in the yard. It's very stressful. It's the worst thing about summer. S.E. Virginia / Outer Banks NC. gets hit with something every year. At least we've never been hit by a Katrina.
Boy, do I know the feeling. Thankfully the last time my area was hit was in Oct. 2005. It was bad, but not as bad as katrina. Lost power for 10 days, but many in my area were out for longer than that. Big tree in my yard was uprooted and my wife thought the roof was coming off from the sound when it toppled over.

One thing I can say - afterwards everything was very peaceful and we could actually see the stars at night without all the light pollution (there were no lights). But, after a couple of days with no power or hot water it really sucked. We were able to boil water on the BBQ grill and make coffee though. Such a simple pleasure was freaking great.

I remember my brother up north saying to me "it's not that bad." I replied "OK, turn the main breaker off in your house and don't turn it on until I tell you. I'll call in a few days, let you have power for 30 seconds, then turn it back off. I'll call randomly over the next 7-10 days and tease the crap out of you by giving electricity for a few minutes at a time. No TV or Internet either. You can use portable TV, radio and flashlights as long as the batteries you have on hand last. When the power does come back on, still no Internet for 2 more weeks and TV is via antenna only. And don't think of going to a gas station to fill up your car because none of them have generators and the pumps don't work. I'll let you get some canned food, powered milk, ice, water & propane for your grill before we start." That's when I heard a word from him I'll never forget. He just said "Oh" :lol:
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

We lost power for eleven day from Isabelle. I had a portable generator. It wouldn't power the entire house, but I had a fan, satellite TV, a lamp, the fridge, and showers! Lisening to that generator gets old, but not as old as no power.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I should probably get a generator. I've lost power for five days multiple times, recently for Isabelle, Ernesto, some TS last year, (maybe Ivan?) I don't really mind not having TV/cable/internet, don't have a big freezer full or perishables, but being on a well, I seriously miss plumbed water.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I have well water, too. It's worth it just to have water for showers and to flush toilets. I see used ones on craigslist all the time, if you don't want to invest in a new one.
crazytrain

Post by crazytrain »

KNINE wrote:We lost power for eleven day from Isabelle. I had a portable generator. It wouldn't power the entire house, but I had a fan, satellite TV, a lamp, the fridge, and showers! Lisening to that generator gets old, but not as old as no power.
Yep. After 2005 many of my neighbors bought generators. Thankfully they've never been used. I keep thinking I'm going to buy one, but never have. Maybe this season I'll get something that can allow us to heat water, power a small fridge, a small TV, a lamp and have the ability to power our cell phones. That's basically all we would need.