Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
chadhgraves

Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy?

Post by chadhgraves »

I cleaned my MAF sensor recently and benefited from a great performance boost. So I started searching around here to see what else I could do to give my Vibe some TLC, since she has 116,000 miles on her, and read about changing my PCV Valve. I'm almost positive it's never been changed. I have a couple questions that I'm still a little cloudy on. I have a 2003 Vibe Base 2WD 1.8L EFI DOHC 4cl. The Autozone website gives me three choices for PCV valves. Two of them with 3/8" threads and one with a 16mm thread. http://www.autozone.com/autozo...28969 3/8" Threads PCV Valve 16mm Threads PCV Valve Which one do I get? I see where a lot of people had to buy both types and try them out. Can anyone tell me which one worked on their '03 Base Vibe? My other question is on how to remove the engine cover to get access to the PCV Valve. I haven't looked closely at it yet, but are there just the four bolts on top that I unscrew? It sounds like a lot of people broke off some plastic clips on the cover too. Any tricks to get off the cover without breaking them, and where should I pull to minimize damage to the clips? Thanks.
sideshowalan

Re: Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy? (chadhgraves)

Post by sideshowalan »

The engine cover is simple. There are 2 10mm bolts and 2 clips.First take out the 2 christmas tree clips which are closest to the firewall. They pull straight out with either needle nose pliers, or you can pry them out with a flat head screwdriver. These get lost or go flying easily and honestly aren't even necessary.Closer to the front of the car are the 2 bolts, the passenger side one is short and comes out easily. The drivers side one is longer and you'll want to do this last because you need to lightly pull up on the cover as you undo the bolt.No advice on the PCV, some take the finer threads and some take the standard. You'll be able to tell which is correct right away so don't torque down on them until you're sure it's right.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

When I did mine I got lucky and autozone got me the right one on the first try. They actually showed only one part number for my car in store. So if you go in and they show two, I would say get both then return the other when your done.
chadhgraves

Re: (silverbullet)

Post by chadhgraves »

Finally! I found the exact replacement for my 2003 Vibe Base 2WD 1.8L EFI DOHC 4cl PCV Valve. I tried the Fram's FV406, FV407, and both weren't going in right. I was very cautious as not to grind up the threads on my engine, so I kept looking. I looked up the part number in my manual, which I should of did from the get go, and ended up with an exact replica of the original. I typed in my part number in a GM Parts website and it gave me an updated part number. Put that one in Amazon and found my PCV Valve.Just put it in today with a little bit of anti-seize compound on the threads and it fit like a glove. Car is running smooth. http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ...tails

Attached files
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Thanks for the number link.Now I don't have to read the book.Actually, reading the book is not the problem, getting Mrs. Waterboyz's stuff back into the glove box is the problem.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
wallyuwl

Re: Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy? (chadhgraves)

Post by wallyuwl »

Thanks. I was looking to replace mine (again) at the next oil change, and this helps me not have to dig for the part number. It is also cheaper than getting it from the Toyota dealer. And I have Amazon Prime, so free shipping.
chadhgraves

Re: Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy? (wallyuwl)

Post by chadhgraves »

No prob, it was a relief to finally find the right one. This was the one time I didn't go to Amazon first and I wish I did. It has stuff on the threads already, but I just put a dab of anti-seize on it cause I just bought a new tube of it. Had to buy a 1" deep socket to get the old one out and the new one in too. I'm thinking of buying another one of these and keeping it in my glovebox, so I'll have a fresh one that I know fits whenever I change it again. My old one Anti-seize New one next to the original IT FITS PERFECTLY!
biodieselrabbit

Re: Removing Engine Cover and Which PCV Valve Do I Buy?

Post by biodieselrabbit »

Just replaced mine today. Bought a used 2003 Vibe a couple months ago with around 150,000 miles on it and figured the PCV valve had never been replaced ... or thought about for that matter. Below is a picture of the grimy old one for reference.
PCVvalve 001.jpg
PCVvalve 001.jpg (36.84 KiB) Viewed 4981 times
2003 Pontiac Vibe
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

Just to add to this since most part stores don't know if they're giving you the right one or not.

The valve shown in the other pictures in this thread seem to be this one, the PCV1112 made by AZ Filters/luber finer from Autozone even though it doesn't match the picture on the Autozone website for this item.
Here's a picture of it compared to the one in my 2003 AWD Vibe:

As you can see, it's not a match but does look the same as other other ones in this thread. In my case with the 2003 AWD Vibe, since it's slightly smaller, it actually fit just fine and had just a tiny jiggle to it before fully tightened. Regardless I knew something wasn't right. Looks like my AWD Vibe has the 3/8 thread instead of the 16mm threads.

So I went on a hunt and found this one, the PV1066 made by Purolator at Advance Auto Parts. It's the only one they actually carry at the store and I just installed it. Turns out it is the correct one. Here's a picture compared to my old one:

Also, the socket size is 19MM or 3/4 on my old and new one. On the other one that was incorrect, it was a 22mm socket size. You will need a deep socket and the Vibe manual says it's 22 ft lbs on the torque wrench.

Goodluck!
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Thanks for posting the Purolator. Price is good, too. I think this will be next for me, as I have nearly 75k and haven't done this yet. Is there really a noticeable performance difference?
Steelies to the rescue.
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

I've only driven ~2 miles so far, so still too soon to know for me. But I'd like to hear from others. Although my old one looked bad, it still had movement inside which means it still was working okay according to posts earlier in this thread.

I completely disconnected my battery as well to reset ECM, but for something not related to the PCV valve. So we'll see in the next gas tank if there's any performance or MPG improvement.

Definitely worth doing since it was so simple to do and cheap as well.
2003 Pontiac Vibe. AWD, Shadow, Monotone. Moons & Tunes. 16" Konig Zero-In wheels. (My Garage)
biodieselrabbit

It has been nearly a month now since I replaced my PCV valve. I have not observed any noticeable difference in idling quality or fuel economy but as others have said, my old one still moved back and forth when shook. Figure I will replace it again in another 150,000 miles, probably sooner since it was so easy.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
Vaggeto

Post by Vaggeto »

biodieselrabbit wrote:It has been nearly a month now since I replaced my PCV valve. I have not observed any noticeable difference in idling quality or fuel economy but as others have said, my old one still moved back and forth when shook. Figure I will replace it again in another 150,000 miles, probably sooner since it was so easy.
Ditto here.Why not change it every 50k or so with it being so cheap and easy to do.
biodieselrabbit

Some on the forum recommend as often as 30,000 miles for PCV replacement or cleaning. Since I did not see any marked difference in performance it seems like a little overkill to me. As Vaggeto says, it is cheap and straightforward which might warrant the increased maintenance rate. On further thought, I doubt I would go another 150,000 miles before replacing it again.
2003 Pontiac Vibe