PCV Valve... Battery Disconnect?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Wolfman213

PCV Valve... Battery Disconnect?

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'll be picking up a PCV Valve today. Honestly don't know what they do but they seem simple to replace and I've never replaced it so I figured why not. My question is, should I disconnect the battery when replacing it in order for the computer to relearn everything with a fresh PCV valve?
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
joatmon

Re: PCV Valve... Battery Disconnect?

Post by joatmon »

I wouldn't bother, I wouldn't expect the computer to notice either way.

PCV valves are simple mechanical valves with no external controls, it allows the intake to suck air out of the inside of the engine, but keeps anything from blowing back into the engine from the outside. This provides Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) to take any combustion gases that escape past the rings to be recycled back into the intake and reburned. Also puts a minor vacuum on the crankcase, keeps ring blowby from building pressure in the engine internals and blowing out some critical seal somewhere
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

It's always good practice to disconnect the battery for safety reason when working on a car. But for the ECU to re-learn a new PCV Valve...NO! It may hurt you more in the short term than help.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Thanks all!! Good explanation of what it does joatman. It was supposed to be in today, but now I won't get it till tomorrow. Simple replace and at least I know not to disconnect the battery now lol.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage