Grand Prix Smashed!!

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
MrMke

Grand Prix Smashed!!

Post by MrMke »

My wife got rear-ended on her way home from work today and messed her car up good.She was stopped at a light and some 20 year old kid, not paying attention, slammed into the back of her.Damn shame, the car has only 14,000 miles on it.The attached pictures show the damage.The speed limit is 25mph but the damage tells me he must have been going somewhat faster.

Attached files
2005 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE V6250hp, Tinted Windows, Factory HID's, Bose System
MrMke

Grand Prix Smashed!! (MrMke)

Post by MrMke »

Another picture...........

Attached files
MrMke

Grand Prix Smashed!! (MrMke)

Post by MrMke »

Another picture from behind

Attached files
Sputnik

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (MrMke)

Post by Sputnik »

Ouch
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
cohocarl

Post by cohocarl »

Hopefully she wasn't hurt. What kind of vehicle was the kid driving that hit her? Looks like his bumper was higher than the G.P.'s.
Sold 6/16/04 03 Vibe 5-speed, Hotchkis Sway Bars & Springs, Hooker Aerochamber, Panasonic Stereo, Hitch, Silverstars,04 Saturn Vue 2.2L Ecotec, 5-speed, 01 Stratus R/T Coupe 5-speed (wife's car) 85 Corvette 268 CompCam, 882 heads, FlatTops, 24lb injectors, Hooker Aerochamber true duals, 58mm TB, Holley AFPR, Siamesed intake base, Polished TPI.
ragingfish

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (cohocarl)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:What kind of vehicle was the kid driving that hit her? Looks like his bumper was higher than the G.P.'s. I was just thinking the same thing...that's an awfully high point of impact...I'd venture to guess SUV or truck...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
MrMke

Post by MrMke »

quote:Hopefully she wasn't hurt. What kind of vehicle was the kid driving that hit her? Looks like his bumper was higher than the G.P.'s. It was a 1994 Ford Ranger.My wife said the truck wasn't lifted or anything like that.But it does look like the impact was higher than normal.
MrMke

Post by MrMke »

Yes, she is OK, other than a sore neck.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Looks like you need a whole new back end...thought it was just a bumper, lights and trunk, but it looks like some of the side panels got screwed up too...Man, you oughta sue the pants off that kid!*Disclaimer: aforementioned remark regarding lawsuit was 100% sarcastic and humoristic -- I am in no way endorsing lawsuits as an answer to everything...*
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
MrMke

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (ragingfish)

Post by MrMke »

Well, I was kinda hoping that it was totaled so we could get her the new 2004 Grand Prix that she like so much, but unfortunately, I don't think that is the case.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Well, I was kinda hoping that it was totaled so we could get her the new 2004 Grand Prix that she like so much, but unfortunately, I don't think that is the case.If it drives, not a chance in hell.

2009 PONTIAC G8
joatmon

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (silverawd26)

Post by joatmon »

Most of the salvage Vibes I've seen on ebay have damage that doesn't look like enough to total it, but there they are with a salvage title. I think that it takes less to total a car than it used to.Your wife is ok. After that, anything about the car is a mere inconvenience.
savedbyzero

Post by savedbyzero »

That sucks! Gives you a reason to get the new Comp G, though!
THIS IS WHAT I DO...http://www.studiothisis.com
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Maybe.. The framing could be bent.. I've NEVER seen a car that got rear-ended be deemed a total loss...no matter how bad the damage...No mechanical components are damaged, no airbags deployed (often a big reason to total out a car), and the car still operating and driveable...

2009 PONTIAC G8
fuel4soul

Post by fuel4soul »

My friend's mom's new Honda was rear-ended and it was totalled, It could still drive but the damage was far more worse, but yet it WAS a Honda, POS cheapy vehicles, Aluminum foil rice burners never again will I own one! Sorry, had to vent. Looked like the GP did a good job holding up though!
ragingfish

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (fuel4soul)

Post by ragingfish »

Well then it's uncommon at best......BUT, I don't work in the insurance industry, so I'm NOT an expert, and I'm not claiming to be...just going off my own experiences and what I've witnessed...Perhaps micheles_bad_vibe can answer this question, as I recall her saying she did work for an insurance company?

2009 PONTIAC G8
red

Post by red »

well the good thing is that your wife didnt suffer immediate injury, BUT watch out for that neck...she could be suffering whiplash or hidden neck injuries...as for the gp it may or may not have subframe damage depending on where on the frame it was hit or it could of just rode over the bumper frame...remeber that just because its low mileage doesnt mean that it WONT be totaled, cars are depreciating so fast now a days that with all the repair work that is needed PLUS medical attention to your wife PLUS rental car needed to drive when its being fixed might push it past the 75% rate used to total a vehicle...but remeber that if it is wiped out that you might not get as much as you think for the car and depending on how much it is owed it may be a wash (meaning that the amount that is given may equal what ,if any, is owed). insurance companies are a necessary evil. if it is fixed remeber to specify no aftermarket parts only OEM and make sure that the auto collision repairer knows it (sometimes the insurance co. will specify that aftermarket or used parts are to be used..dont let them do it!!!, big lawsuits are being fought right now against State Farm, Farmers, Allstate, Progressive and the like over this...used or aftermarket parts do not restore the car to original shape !!! ) ase or i-car repairers are the best.please tell your wife to get that neck/back looked at....it could develop into problems later on !! she was lucky that your gp was built as solid as it was..
philndz

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!!

Post by philndz »

well...definately a bummer...one thing i would say though is that 20 yrs old isnt really a kid....maybe i look at it differently b/c im 19 but i dont classify myself as a kid either...young-yes but kid....nope.and to fuel4soul's comments on hondas....ive never owned one but i sure would! My parents owned an Acura TL (made by honda) and that car was leaps and bounds over the vibe in terms of quality...more expensive yes, but super solid and ran like the wind....only replaced tires and brakes in 100,000 miles.....ultra-smooth car!My dream car within possible reach within my lifetime is an NSX and that again is an acura so no quibbles there. I just think they are one of the few manufacturers that have gotten everything figured out...seems most are still learning while honda sits back and laughs...kind of the old wise owl. <<just my opinions
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
fuel4soul

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (philndz)

Post by fuel4soul »

Oh don't get me wrong, Honda's are great *motors*. My parents have had 13 since I was born! BUT they are over-priced and over-rated. Their bodies are cheap and uncomfortable inside, I just hate their whole buildup...Small wheels, weird brakes, low ride, and BLAND! American cars aren't any less cheaper quality than Hondas. I've detailed millions of Honda's and they are no different than my Sunfire in quality. Their motors will last you a long time, Body might not though. Those new Ecotecs GM put out I would put up against Hondas anyday... Acura on the other hand, Is a different story. They may be made from eachother, but Acura is much better quality...Obviously.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I would never buy a Honda, just because EVERYONE and their mother owns a Honda...As to quality, despite all the little things I've dealt with, I've been happy with the quality of my past GM cars...my 89 Bonneville held out for 180,000 miles, and the only reason I got rid of it was because the tranny was acting up, my fault, cause I drove it too hard. My 92 Grand Am, the only car I truly hated, died at 140,000 when the steering rack went. My Sunfire, well, we all know that sad tale. And I expect to have my Vibe well past 150,000 miles!

2009 PONTIAC G8
philndz

Post by philndz »

the acuras are extremely nice cars and amazing quality and solidity....but they are pretty much all based from hondas...i believe the TL was just a luxo'd accord really...i could be wrong...but that would make the accord real damn nice too.
2003 Shadow Vibe Base 5spd - 53,000 MilesFlowmaster 60 series exhaust - Short Ram Intake SystemKonig Kaliber 17x7 Rims w/ 225-45-17 Kumho Ecsta 711's - Hotchkis Springs - Progress Rear anti-sway Bar My Vibe is FOR SALE: $8900
Triton

Post by Triton »

Man that really sucks! I'm glad to hear that she is ok though. It definitely looks like they were going faster that 25 mph.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
MrMke

Post by MrMke »

Well, we'll just see what the Insurance company has to say about the damage.In the mean time we have to get a rental.By the way, I'm not putting down young kids. I was a kid years ago and I've had my share of accidents, some of which I caused by not paying attention so I kinda know what that kid may be thinking or feeling.I'm just pissed about the car. I just hate the feeling that the car will never be the same after it gets fixed, even with OEM parts.Like I said, we'll see
esjones

Post by esjones »

quote:Man, you oughta sue the pants off that kid!Why??? So that all of our insurance rates continue to climb? So we continue to support the class of ambulance-chasing lawyers? We have friends that were involved in a multi-car pileup during a winter white-out on the Interstate north of town here. They were sued, even though their car did not strike anything or anyone, and in fact was itself hit several times. Did that matter to the lawsuit-happy plaintiffs? Not a whit. And this happened YEARS ago, and the lawsuits still go on. This stuff can SERIOUSLY mess up people's lives!Seriously, folks, we have a real cultural problem in this country in that many feel that any injury or accident needs to be answered with a lawsuit! If the other party pays for having the car fixed and reasonable medical expenses, there is no reason to see this as an opportunity to hit the jackpot with an injury lawsuit.I'm glad others here have related their own, "I was young and stupid and know how easy these things happen..." stories. We're all human, and insurance is to protect us from our momentary lapses. If there was any, ANY evidence that the other driver was drunk, otherwise impaired or malicious, then my opinion in this case might change. Ok... calming down now.....
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
drunkenmaxx

Post by drunkenmaxx »

*Dave Matthews song "Crash" playing*craaash into me...
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
red

Post by red »

i understand the feeling that you would have that the car wouldnt be the same after it is fixed.....it might be better!!! seriously, a good shop with qualified staff WILL restore your car to pre collision or BETTER standard....thats the whole point of repairing someones car, is to make it as good if not better than what it was before..thats what YOU are paying for...."bondo" is not a necessary bad thing if the job is done right!!! only use plastic to smooth out any very minor imperfections that occur AFTER the welds are made or panel seams or dents are taken out...the plastic should be no thicker than the paint used on the car...even the factory uses plastic on their welds or on the new stuff-glue is used to attach panels....glad to her that your wife is okay, thats the really important thing!!!!
ragingfish

Re: Grand Prix Smashed!! (esjones)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Man, you oughta sue the pants off that kid!Why??? So that all of our insurance rates continue to climb? So we continue to support the class of ambulance-chasing lawyers? We have friends that were involved in a multi-car pileup during a winter white-out on the Interstate north of town here. They were sued, even though their car did not strike anything or anyone, and in fact was itself hit several times. Did that matter to the lawsuit-happy plaintiffs? Not a whit. And this happened YEARS ago, and the lawsuits still go on. This stuff can SERIOUSLY mess up people's lives!Seriously, folks, we have a real cultural problem in this country in that many feel that any injury or accident needs to be answered with a lawsuit! If the other party pays for having the car fixed and reasonable medical expenses, there is no reason to see this as an opportunity to hit the jackpot with an injury lawsuit.I'm glad others here have related their own, "I was young and stupid and know how easy these things happen..." stories. We're all human, and insurance is to protect us from our momentary lapses. If there was any, ANY evidence that the other driver was drunk, otherwise impaired or malicious, then my opinion in this case might change. Ok... calming down now.....Apparantly it wasn't evident I was being sarcastic?I'm just as fed up with sue-happy people in this country as you are...if insurance covered it, there was no obvious foul play (ie alcohol) involved, and there are no injuries, I too would not be filing lawsuits.Perhaps I need to add some sarcastic flags to aforementioned post...

2009 PONTIAC G8