I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ParknVibe

I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore

Post by ParknVibe »

I decided to list the following concerning my car as well as others who own the 2009-2010 Vibe and Matrix....Poor visibilty to the left and right due to side mirrors being to high and large.Wish side mirrors would view down to the street curb and still view to right rear.Poor rear visibility Very sensitive gas pedal. (after the recall replacement)Stiff hard rideHigh wind and road noiseDoor edge too high to reach out of window with arm.Driver head rest does not stay locked to the down position.Is it me or is there to much night vision glare through the windshield.I'll get back to this list soon...Note: the subject title above does not show my correction after my first post edit. (I added the word 'it'... and does not show)
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

All of these are true for me too. You have to remember, you're driving a cheap car. Its a Pontiac, not a Lexus. The headrest comes up some because of the "active head restraints". When you move around in the seat it pushes it up some. When you're in a rear end collision your weight pushes in the seat which will push the head restraint up and forward.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Yep, agree. I find myself turning wider when making right turns than I did with my Dakota 4x4 with an 8 foot bed, worried about clipping the curb with my rear tire. I think this is due to the lack of visibility because of the high sloping door up to the very thick "A" pillar, along with the high slope of fender. Having low profile tires that even the littlest rise of a curb can do damage does not help. The side mirrors are in an awkward place that hampers things. Wish they also had a setting that would quickly turn them down to watch for curbs and parking lines, especially when backing into a parking spot, then to quickly go to normal position like some vehicles have. Because of the bad back visibility, I sometimes have to crack the door and take a look in tight spots with high curbs. Never felt the need for that before in a passenger car.After test driving a Honda Fit, I kind of wish I would of got one of those instead. Much better visibility all around and a more natural feel when carving corners and hugging curbs. Getting out on the highway, I think I would prefer the Vibe, especially on a longer haul, but I have not had much opportunity to do that yet.I still like the Vibe and it was probably the right car at the right time, place, and price and think it will be a very good car for years to come, but the grass is always greener....EDIT:Also pulling out into traffic (mostly when turning left) from a side street, I find the "A" pillar and the extreme slant of roof line and windshield does block the view, especially from oncoming traffic coming from the right. I tend to crane my neck around and roll slowly forward a little to get a better view and to change line of sight before pulling out. Lane changes tend to get my head swiveling a lot more than in other cars too with no trust in just the side mirrors and a quick glance over the shoulder, looking for cars coming up from behind fast or in a blind spot. Definitely need to use rear view mirror, side mirror and swivel head around a lot.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

I agree with everything negative that has been mentioned, as well as future insults, about the A-pillar.
http://
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Well, this seems like a really good argument for .....(1) non emotional auto purchasing and (2) the need for a good long TEST DRIVE(3) Spending $20,000 grand for something? Make sure it fits before you leave the store.But this is just my opinion...............Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I only agree with two of the OP's points.My Vibe has huge blind spots to both the left rear and right rear. This was corrected by applying sick on convex mirrors.I have decided that I just have to live with the harsh ride. It is a small car with low clearance and short travel suspension.It reads to me like the OP might be short in stature. The mirrors don't obstruct my vision to the side/front and I have no problem with resting my arm in the window opening. I think the size of the pillars are a good compromise because I feel safer with the air bags.I believe that the road and wind noise is very tolerable for an economy car. I test drove some other cars that were far noisier to the point that carrying on a conversation would be difficult, one of those was the Honda Fit.I drove various models of all the major brands for a total of about 12 - 15 test drives. I considered the Vibe to be the best choice for my use. I still feel that way except I wish I would have sprung for the AWD instead of the FWD.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
sk8r78

Post by sk8r78 »

Sounds like you are becoming better drivers, having to be more active in the driving process. If you have a blindspot your mirrors aren't positioned correctly your seat is not positioned correctly and you should always look over your shoulder after you look in the mirror when changing lanes. Also sounds like you are not familiar with the amount of space your vehicle takes up in a lane. You should be looking forward into your turn and not down to see if you are gonna clip the curb. Its your job to change, to fit the cars inadaquacies and not the cars, to fit yours. Atleast you have all the problems identified.
ligion

Post by ligion »

ROAD NOISE, thats the only thing that bothers me about the car... but my exhaust tend to drown it out lol so it's not to bad.
ParknVibe

Re: (sk8r78)

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by sk8r78 »Sounds like you are becoming better drivers, having to be more active in the driving process. If you have a blindspot your mirrors aren't positioned correctly your seat is not positioned correctly and you should always look over your shoulder after you look in the mirror when changing lanes. Also sounds like you are not familiar with the amount of space your vehicle takes up in a lane. You should be looking forward into your turn and not down to see if you are gonna clip the curb. Its your job to change, to fit the cars inadaquacies and not the cars, to fit yours. Atleast you have all the problems identified. Well if you have a 2009 Vibe, the blind spot is the side mirror blocking the view when turning....I read a lot of Matrix and Vibe owners complain about how they almost hit an on coming pedestrian or of seeing a car at the last second. Short drivers are having a problem here. I am always making minor adjustments to my seat position. I see a lot of newer cars with these large mirrors. And I from my view of their car and the small female driver... I sometimes can't see her head behind the side mirror on her car.These mirrors simply just have to be bent downward a little below the window line. In any event, I have to be on my toes when driving the Vibe. Otherwise, I bought the right car at the time and was hoping Pontiac was going to improves upon these problems in newer model years.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Beemerphile:You nailed it on one of the main reasons I did not make a change to the Fit. The Fit is a little noisier, buzzier, and more jittery on the road, I just liked it's better visibility, drivers feel and cargo space. With everything, there is a compromise, I chose to stick with the slightly more sedate and even tracking Vibe.-----------My comparison with my old truck to illustrate a perception I sometimes get when turning was meant to be somewhat of an obvious exaggeration. Sorry for the lack of my word smith. I have only slightly grazed one entrance way curb (unbelievably twice in two weeks) in the two and a half years of ownership. Luckily no damage. The uncomfortable perception is still there though,...and maybe it is a good thing because it does make me swing out a little more so less curbs should be hit! Of course we adapt and adjust to the cars we drive, inadequacies or not. Seat position and mirror adjustments do not magically solve all problems. Because of airbags, flexibility of seat adjustment for some is more limited. It is possible to discuss likes and dislikes and little quirks one might have with a certain vehicle, after spending much time with it, without assuming that one must just be an unskilled and incompetent driver to notice or have a problem with these things. It is not personal, and nobody is saying anybody made a bad choice in buying their vehicle or that the vehicle is inherently bad and inferior to another vehicle. The Vibe is a very good car. Nothing is perfect. Relax people, it is an inanimate object that has no feelings if not defended.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
sideshowalan

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (ParknVibe)

Post by sideshowalan »

Do the 2009-2010's still have the seat height dial? Sounds like that would resolve a lot of the mirror and window problems.Agreed on the size of the A pillar though, I find myself leaning forward and back to make sure no pedestrians are hiding there.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
03VibeOttawa

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (ParknVibe)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

I wish there were an Ottawa member with a 2nd gen who would be willing to take me for a ride, just out of interest's sake. I've never actually rode in one.Unless a test drive wowed me, based on everything I've read about the 2nd gen, I would take a similar mileage/condition 1st gen over an '09-'10, without hesitation.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
ParknVibe

Re: I hate to say these, but I can't keep it in anymore (sideshowalan)

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by sideshowalan »Do the 2009-2010's still have the seat height dial? Sounds like that would resolve a lot of the mirror and window problems.Agreed on the size of the A pillar though, I find myself leaning forward and back to make sure no pedestrians are hiding there.Yes, I do have the seat height adjustment. It does help a bit.With the 2009 model, the windshield slope was lowered for a more wedgy form. But they must of raised the height of the dash a bit and sloped the hood. Then you can see why there is a curve in the top of the door body along the window line to the side mirror or A pillar.
cptnsolo77

Re: (ligion)

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Amen to that !!! The road noise with these cars is horrible. My stepdaughter has a 07 caliber & its much quieter than the vibe. Its an economy car so you can expect too much. I would still rather drive my Vibe though...I cant stand driving the Caliber. What a awkward car from every standpoint... LOL.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
trb

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by trb »

Since we own one of each, I can say you do get used to whichever car you have been driving the most. I can agree with some of the comments, I don't feel like I know what is happening in my blind spots as easily in the 2010 as in the 2006. I always have to check a couple of times just to make sure there is no one there to my right. And I have hit a couple of curbs on right turns. Luckily they hit the rubber and not just the rim. I don't mind the mirrors, and I seldom back up looking in the back window. I use my side mirrors in my driveway, otherwise I would hit the house or run up on the grass since the driveway is curved. And there does seem to be more road noise than in the 06. But I can say for sure I enjoy driving the 2010 more. Due to the larger motor and the GT suspension, it is easier to play with. It is more fun than my Mustang in some instances, except when the VSC kicks in to cut down on the cornering fun.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Poor visibilty to the left and right due to side mirrors being to high and large.- I never felt like it was the mirrors, but I agree - to me it felt that it was the size of the A pillar. When going around a lower speed, tighter corner, I tend to weave my head around to make sure I'm not missing something.Wish side mirrors would view down to the street curb and still view to right rear. - does any mirror do that?Poor rear visibility - I've never thought so, always felt like a quick head swivel adequately views the blind spots.Very sensitive gas pedal. (after the recall replacement)- wouldn't know, I refuse to have mine done!Stiff hard ride- never thought so, but now I have H-Tech springs on.High wind and road noise- never thought so but I've never driven anything particularly upscale to compare.Door edge too high to reach out of window with arm.- I agree.Driver head rest does not stay locked to the down position.- have not noticed this at all. It moves upward? Hm.Is it me or is there to much night vision glare through the windshield.- I've not had a problem with this.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Kincaid

Re: (djkeev)

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »(3) Spending $20,000 grand for something? Make sure it fits before you leave the store.But this is just my opinion...............DaveMine only cost me about $11,400. And for that I got StabiliTrak, traction control, and side air bags! Still an awesome deal on a very quality car IMO.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Kincaid

Re: (trb)

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by trb »It is more fun than my Mustang in some instances, except when the VSC kicks in to cut down on the cornering fun. Yikes! You like living on the edge! Hope you aren't doing that on the RS/A's. I've had the VSC come on only a few times when it was wet. Well, there was the one time right after I bought it when I wanted to compare it to my lowered Civic. Nothing dramatic on one of my favorite corners, but definitely a bit different!Oh yeah, when I get to drive the Civic it is much easier to see both out the front and back.
trb

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Yikes! You like living on the edge! Hope you aren't doing that on the RS/A's. I've had the VSC come on only a few times when it was wet. Well, there was the one time right after I bought it when I wanted to compare it to my lowered Civic. Nothing dramatic on one of my favorite corners, but definitely a bit different!I have a cloverleaf intersection right by my office that I like to take a bit fast if no one else is around. During the right hand sweeper, the VSC puts on the brakes and slows me down, plowing the front of the car down and to the right even if I am still accelerating. Now after driving my Mustang for 24+ years I know how a car feels near the limit, and the Vibe is not near the limit when the VSC kicks in. I also have a circle intersection on my way to and from work, and the Vibe keeps itself planted very well as I make an "S" through the circle. I can keep it at about 40 mph and there is almost no body roll through the curves. I've had the traction control light kick on a few times, usually after a hard right turn with accceleration. But I've never seen the VSC light come on when it is "working" to keep me "safe". So it probably does not let you know when it kicks in unless you feel it, you just end up staying on course. One of these days I'll remember to turn the VSC off when I leave work and see how it takes the curve then.And I have some Bridgestone Potenzas on the car now. Nice asymetrical performance tires that don't squeal.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

>>>>Driver head rest does not stay locked to the down position.- have not noticed this at all. It moves upward? Hm.<<<<I would keep the headrest down... a few days later it would be up two inches. I then file a deeper notch in the top notch to make the flat pin stay in it. It help, but sometimes I still see it up again.I read other people complain about this ...but not here. One had the dealer fixed it in place perhap with a through pin or dowel.Do you drive (have) a 2009-10? I can't speak about the earlier models.
ParknVibe

Re: (09vGT)

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »All of these are true for me too. You have to remember, you're driving a cheap car. Its a Pontiac, not a Lexus. The headrest comes up some because of the "active head restraints". When you move around in the seat it pushes it up some. When you're in a rear end collision your weight pushes in the seat which will push the head restraint up and forward. >>>>Driver head rest does not stay locked to the down position.- have not noticed this at all. It moves upward? Hm.<<<<I would keep the headrest down... a few days later it would be up two inches. I then file a deeper notch in the top notch to make the flat pin stay in it. It help, but sometimes I still see it up again.I read other people complain about this ...but not here. One had the dealer fixed it in place perhap with a through pin or dowel.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Mine only cost me about $11,400. And for that I got StabiliTrak, traction control, and side air bags! Still an awesome deal on a very quality car IMO.You beat me by about $600. MSRP $19,480 down to a little under $12,000 after invoice pricing, , $2,000 GM dealer incentive, $1,500 rebates rebates and GM Card earnings that were upped to $3,000. Without most of that I would likely still be driving my 2003 Vibe and just now looking for something newer. But where in the world could I have got a car with the quality and features of the '09 Vibe for that amount of money. Probably will never see that kind of deal again in my lifetime.As a senior citizen I opt to change lanes very slowly to give an unseen driver in an adjacent lane time to give me the horn.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Hard to say about deals - I just refinanced my house to a 15-year fixed at 3.375%. Never thought I'd have a lower APR than my Dad's 4% Veteran's loan from 1966!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »Poor visibilty to the left and right due to side mirrors being to high and large.Wish side mirrors would view down to the street curb and still view to right rear.Poor rear visibility Very sensitive gas pedal. (after the recall replacement)Stiff hard rideHigh wind and road noiseDoor edge too high to reach out of window with arm.Driver head rest does not stay locked to the down position.Is it me or is there to much night vision glare through the windshield.- I have no problems with visibility to the right or left due to the side mirrors.- I installed 2" round blind spot mirrors on the outer lower corners of the side mirrors so I don't have any problems seeing down to the curb.- I do agree that the small rear windows are completely useless, but to offset this I simply installed some 2" round blindspot mirrors and now I have much better rear/side visibility.- My accelerator pedal can be a bit touchy here and there, but overall I have found it to be much better after having a brand new accelerator pedal installed per the recall.- Yes the ride can be a bit stiff, but I personally like it. I spent alot of money trying to get my former Pontiac Sunfires to ride and handle like the Vibe does from the factory. - I don't think the wind and road noise is bad at all.- I am 5'6", my seat is as far down as it will go and I have no problem reaching up, over and out the door at drive-thrus and such.- My headrest has never moved up or down by itself.- I don't have any problems with glare on the windshield at night.My only real complaint with my 2009 Vibe GT was the rear visibility when backing up. I corrected that by installing 2" round blindspot mirrors on the lower outer corners of the side mirrors. My seat is as far down as it will go, as far back as it will go and the back of the seat is adjusted so I am sitting not quite straight up, but I am not leaning way back either. I have no problems seeing any which way in this position. It sounds to me like some of you need to better position your seat and yourself when driving . Oh... and I have never once hit a curb in either one of our Vibes.Quote, originally posted by trb »But I can say for sure I enjoy driving the 2010 more. Due to the larger motor and the GT suspension, it is easier to play with. It is more fun than my Mustang in some instances, except when the VSC kicks in to cut down on the cornering fun.I'm not sure if you know this or not, but while sitting still in the Vibe (at a stop light for example), you can hold the Traction Control button down for a few seconds and it will disable the Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control. Both lights will appear on the gauges showing that they have both been disabled. They will remain disabled until you shut the vehicle off. Simply pushing the button will only disable the Traction Control until you reach 30 mph, then it will automatically turn back on .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
trask

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by trask »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I'm not sure if you know this or not, but while sitting still in the Vibe (at a stop light for example), you can hold the Traction Control button down for a few seconds and it will disable the Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control. Both lights will appear on the gauges showing that they have both been disabled. They will remain disabled until you shut the vehicle off. Simply pushing the button will only disable the Traction Control until you reach 30 mph, then it will automatically turn back on .That how the TC and VSC works on my Vibe.My only complaints are the steering column rattle and the lousy radio knobs that fall apart, which I have since taken care of by replacing the radio.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I'm not sure if you know this or not, but while sitting still in the Vibe (at a stop light for example), you can hold the Traction Control button down for a few seconds and it will disable the Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control. Both lights will appear on the gauges showing that they have both been disabled. They will remain disabled until you shut the vehicle off. Simply pushing the button will only disable the Traction Control until you reach 30 mph, then it will automatically turn back on .Yep, that is what I did last night on my way home. And yes, I was still at work at 9:12 PM last night when I typed my last post. With the VSC off, the curve was a bit harder to handle as I'm sure the FWD vs RWD makes the difference. There is quite a bit of a stabillity change between throttle on vs throttle off. It does push out to the left bad (understeers) under throttle, but snaps way back when you let off the throttle. An the throttle is pretty touchy in a situation like that. Not a plesant ride w/o the VSC if you are not used to it. I guess holding down the throttle and letting the VSC do it's job in the Vibe is a better option, I just wish it was a bit less intrusive.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
blackrayne

Re: (ParknVibe)

Post by blackrayne »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »Well if you have a 2009 Vibe, the blind spot is the side mirror blocking the view when turning....I read a lot of Matrix and Vibe owners complain about how they almost hit an on coming pedestrian or of seeing a car at the last second. Definitely agree... I've had a few close calls with pedestrians and other cars, especially from the left. For the record, I'm short (5'3"), and I keep my seat fairly far back... if I drove like my mom did with her knees almost in the dash, the blind spots might not be as bad for me, but I haven't been able to drive like that since I was 16 and put both knees into the dash of a Rabbit.
November, 2011 VOTM!
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Hard to say about deals - I just refinanced my house to a 15-year fixed at 3.375%. Never thought I'd have a lower APR than my Dad's 4% Veteran's loan from 1966!In 1971 my 30 year rate was 7% with 20% down, and I didn't think that was too bad. Made extra payments so that by 1995 at age 53 when I lost my day job it was paid off. That made my decision to transition to self employment easier. In 1979 I got a bargain rate 10 year 2nd mortgage for a remodel that was 11.5% because I had an "in" at the bank. Today I have no need to borrow but do have a need to earn something on my lifetime retirement savings. Best I can do is about 1% unless I want to go longer term - longer term I think interest rates have to be going up but I have thought that for at least a couple years.In the 50's I think my dad's loan was 5% - those were the days when the loans were made by the local bank of Savings & Loan Assoc. Whether you got a loan was decided at a meeting of the board of directors - all local people that knew you, your family background, your good habits and bad habits.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
trb

Re: (jake75)

Post by trb »

Continuing off topic, but I remember my mother getting a letter from the bank back in the late 70's or early 80's telling her how great it would be to not have a monthly mortage payment to worry about. Basically they were asking her to pay off the home loan early, and "avoid all the interest she will have to pay for the next few years". It was a $17K 4% loan they got back in 1965, and they only owed a few thousand on it. She said " Like h#ll I'm going to pay it off!" She was earning more than that on their investments at the time!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
star_deceiver

Re: (blackrayne)

Post by star_deceiver »

Complaints... hmmmm...I bought, brand new, a loss leader. I didn't expect the soft ride of a Buick, the performance of a Corvette, or the class of a Caddy. Nor did I expect the handling of a Miata, or the economy of a Prius. I bought a decently reliable car that gets good gas milage, wasn't over-optioned to the nuts, could carry much stuff and hey, the price was right!There is no problem with the car. If there's something that's really bothering me, I can mod it or change myself!And hey, it's almost paid off!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jake75

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Star Deceiver - I am the type that gets a car wash every few months whether it needs it or not - yet that photo always causes even me to cringe a little bit!.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

It sounds like some need to work on their driving skills. If you can't judge your position in relation to the curb in a little economy car, what would you do if towing a trailer or driving a large vehicle?A minor obstruction such as the side mirrors or post shouldn't be an issue if you are practicing safe driving habits. If you are constantly scanning in all directions, a person/vehicle cannot hide behind an obstruction for more than a second. You should have seen them before they were blocked from sight and know they are there even if not seen.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
03VibeOttawa

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »It sounds like some need to work on their driving skills. If you can't judge your position in relation to the curb in a little economy car, what would you do if towing a trailer or driving a large vehicle?Blind spots are there, and it has nothing to do with driving skills. Sure, an attentive driver makes a huge difference, but no amount of "safe driving habits" can make you see through a pillar in a car. It is entirely possible for a pedestrian to be completely hidden from sight and appear at the last split second (i.e.in a parking lot, or a busy urban crosswalk).
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

The problem with being a smug, "expert" driver is that reality tends to come back and bite one in the backside. Hopefully it will only be a little scuff on the rubber of the right rear tire and not something more serious like a motorcyclist's life.
meinmi

Post by meinmi »

I've got to say I don't have any of the problems listed in the original post. I am about 5'10" and visibility is fine. I like the ride; makes me feel very connected to the road. But then I have always liked a somewhat stiff, sporty ride. As for road noise - that's what the radio is for! But really, even with no radio and using the handsfree bluetooth in the radio I don't find it noisy. I don't think of it as a "cheap" or low quality car at all. I enjoy driving it (to the tune of almost 3,000 miles a month) and getting 30 to 35 mpg.
ParknVibe

Re: (meinmi)

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by meinmi »I've got to say I don't have any of the problems listed in the original post. I am about 5'10" and visibility is fine. I like the ride; makes me feel very connected to the road. But then I have always liked a somewhat stiff, sporty ride. As for road noise - that's what the radio is for! But really, even with no radio and using the handsfree bluetooth in the radio I don't find it noisy. I don't think of it as a "cheap" or low quality car at all. I enjoy driving it (to the tune of almost 3,000 miles a month) and getting 30 to 35 mpg.Taller drivers may not have a problem with mirror's blocking blind view and pillar.. However, I even have a blind view when looking to my far left shoulder for the on coming cars and even the view to the far right out the rear side window is sometimes a blind area. With the seatbelts and shoulder strap plus the tight fitting seats..plus the headrests obstructions in the rear. I have a problem just moving around in my seat to get the views I need to see....not to mention the small rear window view ... I can't see down at the hood of the car behind me when parking.Yea... I have issues.... don't I. Wish I had a rear camera system.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »Yea... I have issues.... don't I. Wish I had a rear camera system.Yeah me too!
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »Yea... I have issues.... don't I. Wish I had a rear camera system.You can. I don't have any experience with it, and it would block the Onstar buttons, but if you don't use Onstar, who cares?http://www.google.com/products...MCMAI#Edit: I updated the link, found it on Amazon for $75!Oh, and I read that NHTSA is trying to pass regulations requiring backup cameras in all new vehicles, but it got delayed.http://www.autoblog.com/2010/1...-2014/
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ParknVibe

Re: (trb)

Post by ParknVibe »

I have seen some of these rear camera systems. The one with a viewer in the mirror were very expensive...when I last seen one. The one you are shown here ......Is that viewer/mirror applied over the original mirror? It looks like it has the onStar buttoms on it though.I'll look into that.....good price.I was thinking of getting a display radio with the optional camera.>>>Oh, and I read that NHTSA is trying to pass regulations requiring backup cameras in all new vehicles, but it got delayed.I know....And I got I a lot of the complaints I listed from NHTSA as well.
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »I have seen some of these rear camera systems. The one with a viewer in the mirror were very expensive...when I last seen one. The one you are shown here ......Is that viewer/mirror applied over the original mirror? It looks like it has the onStar buttoms on it though.I'll look into that.....good price. I looked at the PDF instruction manual on the Peak website, and it attaches to the existing mirror with clips and velcro strips. The buttons control the camera.http://www.peakauto.com/pdf/manual-PKC0RG.pdfThe only bad thing about it is the power plug. I would probably hard wire it into a key on power supply to keep from having the wires draping across the dash down to the power port. I would not like for someone to think it was a radar detector they could steal or something.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

For people with blind spot issues, following these recommendations (in addition to adding some stick on blind spot mirrors) has made me extremely comfortable with visibility in my car- the only time I have had close calls is when I wasn't paying as much attention, which can happen in any car. http://www.caranddriver.com/fe...spotsThe car does have a loud (aka cheap) ride noise, and the pedal is much more touchy than any other car I have driven (Ford Taurus, Dodge Neon, Pontiac GT, Chevy Aveo, etc) but those things don't bother me much. It was the best for its price at the time of power, storage, and fuel economy. I keep my seat as high as I can comfortably do (I am 5'4" and I love the higher ride.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
VibeBear

Post by VibeBear »

the only thing on the OP's list that I agree with are Road noise (to be expected with an economy car) and the touchy gas pedal since the recall. Isn't there supposed to be a replacement pedal available to dissatisfied customers?My main complaint with the car was the traction control issue. Didn't like how it would turn itself back on after 50km/h but now I know to press & hold
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305/5-speed, Bright Dark Teal
2009 Pontiac Vibe Base 1.8L/5-speed, Carbon Grey
vibenvy

Re: (VibeBear)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by VibeBear »Isn't there supposed to be a replacement pedal available to dissatisfied customers?Yes. If you had the accelerator pedal modification done and aren't happy with it, you can request a brand new accelerator pedal assembly. I did this for both our Vibes and they feel and look (not all hacked up) much better. Below is a direct quote from the GM recall (#10038) letter...Quote, originally posted by GM »In the event that you are not satisfied with the modification of your accelerator pedal after it is completed, a replacement accelerator pedal will be offered to you at no charge.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Yes. If you had the accelerator pedal modification done and aren't happy with it, you can request a brand new accelerator pedal assembly. I did this for both our Vibes and they feel and look (not all hacked up) much better. Below is a direct quote from the GM recall (#10038) letter...Yes, I did get the new pedal (without having to get the modification). It does feel a little better, but after a while, I still have to keep a very lite foot on the pedal. Wish it was more of a firm or to give it greater foot pressure like my older drive by cable cars used to be.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

So far I have followed the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" route. I keep getting notices. Looking at the distance between the floor mat and the gas pedal I can;t image how that could be an issue. I also refrained from having a minor rattle in the right front door area "fixed" under warranty for fear they would screw up something else.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Would still have my Vibe if my computer didn't keep going out... Should of kept the 2008...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
zaxellord

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Would still have my Vibe if my computer didn't keep going out... Should of kept the 2008... What's the matter with your computer?
ou.grizzly

Re: (zaxellord)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by zaxellord »What's the matter with your computer?Do not know nor do not care, traded the car in last summer...
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
zaxellord

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by zaxellord »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »Do not know nor do not care, traded the car in last summer... Aww, you let someone else deal with it
ParknVibe

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »For people with blind spot issues, following these recommendations (in addition to adding some stick on blind spot mirrors) has made me extremely comfortable with visibility in my car- the only time I have had close calls is when I wasn't paying as much attention, which can happen in any car. I did try the stick on blind spot mirrors. But they got me more confused as I try to look left or right. I just want a clear plain view. So I ended up removing them.As you did, I adjusted my seat height I'm only 5'-7"+I'm okay about things as they be. Just have to live with it for the next ten years. I started this thread to see if we are all bothered by the things I listed as I am.