Rear View Defogger

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SammyNitro

Rear View Defogger

Post by SammyNitro »

Hi - I have a 2009 Vibe that I bought earlier this year - the warranty is about to expire and I need to know if it's normal that the defogger stays on. Even if I shut the car off and turn it back on, it remains on Is this a problem , or is this normal for this car ??Thanks
09vGT

Re: Rear View Defogger (SammyNitro)

Post by 09vGT »

Yep, it won't go off until you press the button again!
SammyNitro

Rear view defogger

Post by SammyNitro »

My 2009 Vibe's rear view defogger does not turn off...even if i turn the car off and turn it bck on..it stll remains on. I bought it used..and it's been like this since i got it Is this normal on this model ?? Or do I have something wrong with it.
DoubleBaril

Re: Rear view defogger (SammyNitro)

Post by DoubleBaril »

Almost sounds like someone hard wired it, or maybe there's a short? Did they also have command start installed on the car before you bought it?
2003 Vibe AWD
09vGT

Re: Rear view defogger (SammyNitro)

Post by 09vGT »

It will stay ON until you push the button again to turn it OFF.. Even if the car is turned off and restarted. It does NOT have a timer, so will remain on constant until you push it to turn it off. Just like the AC and circulation button, you push them, and they remain on even after the car is turned off and restarted. Don't be afraid to push it to see what happens, it won't explode!
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

that's weird. on my '10, it does have a timer and will shut off after about 10 minutes, and will turn off if the engine is shut off.being on all the time once pressed is outside the norm for any vehicle i have ever owned or driven, which admittedly does not include much seat time in other japaneese cars.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
09vGT

Re: (Zimm)

Post by 09vGT »

Very weird.. Mine will stay on all day long!
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

Mine will turn off after 10-15 minutes and reset after turning the car off
06pvibe

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by 06pvibe »

Ours too... and my Mazda as well.Rear defoggers didn't used to have a reset or timer and so people would forget they were on and they'd simply burn up!! Hence the reason a timer and reset functions were made std.Nope. Sounds like something is amiss to me... perhaps a stuck or malfunctioning relay. That's my best guess.Find the relay, probably under the hood, and give it a few taps w/the back of a screwdriver handle.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
tpollauf

Re: Rear view defogger (09vGT)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »It will stay ON until you push the button again to turn it OFF.. Even if the car is turned off and restarted. It does NOT have a timer, so will remain on constant until you push it to turn it off.You are correct on this one Below is the quote from the owners manual:Rear Defogger): Press to turnthe rear window defogger on or off.An indicator light shows that it is on.Depending on the vehicle, the rearwindow defogger either stays on untilit is manually turned off or turns offautomatically after a set amount oftime. Clear any snow from the rearwindow.If the ignition is turned off, whilethe rear window defogger is on, thedefogger turns back on automaticallywhen the ignition is in the ON/RUNposition again.Also I've included the page from the owners manual. Enjoy

524343=15736-Rearwindowdefogger.pdf
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Mine turns off after a set amount of time automatically
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
dayday

Post by dayday »

'09 here, and mine stays on until pushed a second time. Maybe a feature that can be changed with a TechII
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Thats really weird.. "depending on the vehicle".. What would be the reason for some doing it.. and others not?
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

"According to the vehicle" That is really strange, I wonder why. Probably different option packages.Mine times off by itself and if you turn the ignition off and back on the defroster is off.What options do you have? Mine is the base with I think they called the comfort or preferred package. I'm not sure what they called it but it includes the door locks, power windows, etc. all lumped together.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
BLargal

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by BLargal »

My 09 vibe's defogger won't turn off either unless I push the button, I was so used to my old car having it turn off automaticly that when I looked down and saw it was still on after an hour of driving I just figured it didn't turn off by itself and was like "woops" lol.
ColonelPanic

Re: Rear view defogger

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's some craziness! Timers have been standard issue for a long time now, why go back to manual control? Seems like it would tax the electrical system a tad much if one forgot about it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
06pvibe

Re: Rear view defogger (ColonelPanic)

Post by 06pvibe »

Agreed! And why on only "some" models?So many times in this world I would like to turn back the clock to simpler times. But this is not one of them.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
tpollauf

Re: (beemerphile1)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Mine times off by itself and if you turn the ignition off and back on the defroster is off.Drove the Vibe to a hockey game last night and on the way back I had to use the rear window defogger. It was on steady for the 15 min trip home and when I got home, turned the car off, then restarted it and NO defroster came on! This is what I would have expected and is the case with my Vibe GT. You must manually turn it on each time you start the car and it automatically turns itself off
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Is it bad to leave on the defroster for a long period of time?
06pvibe

Re: (09vGT)

Post by 06pvibe »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »Is it bad to leave on the defroster for a long period of time? Besides drawing a lot of power, it can burn up/out. And if you want that tint of yours to stay nice for a long time, I wouldn't use it more than I had to. The direct heat of it affects the adhesive and will eventually cause bubbling and delamination.
Eloi

Re: (BLargal)

Post by Eloi »

Quote, originally posted by BLargal »My 09 vibe's defogger won't turn off either unless I push the button, I was so used to my old car having it turn off automaticly that when I looked down and saw it was still on after an hour of driving I just figured it didn't turn off by itself and was like "woops" lol.Same for me. It's really weird that it doesn't turn off by itself...I had that feature on my old 1996 Sunfire and not on my 2009 Vibe...
2009 Vibe (2.4L) - Manual - Red Hot Metallic
Glenpointe

Re: Rear View Defogger

Post by Glenpointe »

Rear defogger in My 2009 Vibe GT will not shut off until you manually turn it off. However, the defogger switch is on, but the rear window does not clear. Can the light (on the switch) stay on even though the defogger relay is bad?
jolt

Re: Rear View Defogger

Post by jolt »

Glenpointe wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:17 am Rear defogger in My 2009 Vibe GT will not shut off until you manually turn it off. However, the defogger switch is on, but the rear window does not clear. Can the light (on the switch) stay on even though the defogger relay is bad?
Yes