speaker sizes?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
atro2020

speaker sizes?

Post by atro2020 »

alright ..... now that Christmas has come and passed, now its time to get new speakers to replace the ones i blew with my overzealous 'Prodigy' blasting phase (Fasten Your Seatbelt)..... good times. anyways.... now i just need to figure out what size speakers we have, on my 2003 w/ moons&tunes.if anyone would be so kind as to tell me what size the front and rear speakers are... it would be greatly appreciated. SIDE NOTE and on the crazy side that seems to come out wayyy to much....i still want to put triangular subs in the 'D' Pillar. after i make some custom cladding for it.... it will look amazing.... fit amazingly... and look ...semi-odly stock... while not surrendering functionality of the hatch and storage.
AMC EAGLE SX-4______ DATSUN 280Z
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

The speakers in the front and rear are 6.5", if you reuse the factory speaker mounts I believe you get about 3" for depth.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
skitucs

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by skitucs »

Crutchfield outfitted my '05 Vibe with 6.5's front and back..
frankiemenz

Re: (skitucs)

Post by frankiemenz »

Hey skitucs did you use db651s from crutchfield? That's what route I was thinking of going on my 2010 base model. Sorry to bump in on your thread atro2020, this was just one of the same things I was considering also and your post caught my eye---Frank
LarryKingsShoes

Post by LarryKingsShoes »

I can't speak for skitucs but I just put Polk Audio db651s's (6 1/2") in my front and rear doors. They do sound a lot more clear than the stock speakers. They fit nicely and don't block the windows from rolling down.I'm pretty happy with them. The only trouble I had was with the brackets that Crutchfield includes for the installation. I don't know if I was doing it wrong but most of the holes didn't line up. I ended up having to drill new holes to mount the things. The speakers aren't to blame for this, though. The brackets are meant to be somewhat of a universal fit, I assume, so it's fair to expect some modification to be required. The whole install took about three hours, but I also applied some of my spare Dynamat Extreme to parts of the door and trim.I still haven't adjusted my receiver to optimize the EQ so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze out a little more quality from these things. I installed my subwoofer on the same day so there's quite a bit of adjusting left to do. At $150 for a complete set, with installation gear (those harness adapters are a life saver), I'm happy.---Update: I had a chance to mess around with the EQ and other sound processing features on my head unit (Kenwood KIV-700) and it really brought these speakers to life. I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. I finally got a nice balance between the speakers and my subwoofer. The Polk Audio speakers are very clear and vivid. I may do some very minor tweaking with the sub tomorrow (just to add a tad more thickness to the overall sound) but I think the speakers are just right.My receiver has a load of different settings to adjust so that helps a lot in getting good sound. There are so many parameters that can be tweaked that it makes it an almost intimidating process. I think I finally got a grip on it, though.There's no doubt that spending more money on speakers would yield even better results but dang, $150 for four of these is a steal! They sound very nice and they fit really well in the car. No problems to report on my end!
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I had to drill new holes even with the supplied brackets from Crutchfeild. Gr8 speakers and still have the factor HU.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
skitucs

Re: (LarryKingsShoes)

Post by skitucs »

I just installed a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695 with Bluetooth and Pioneer TS-A1673R 3 ways @ $49 a pair front and back. head unit went in smooth but I had trouble with the doors also, the adapters that Crutchfield sent didn't line up and are recessed about 2 inches from the door panels? the srereo sounds better now but I was thinking of gutting the old speaker out of their mounts and screwing the new speakers into them to get the speakers right up against the door panel grill. I think Im getting sound loss and an echoing effect from them being so recessed? wife thought the new stereo and speakers would've sounded a little better? My friends say adding an amp/sub will make all the difference.
skitucs

Re: (LarryKingsShoes)

Post by skitucs »

okay redid the speaker install yesterday, got rid of the flush mount Crutchfield brackets and modified the original stock speaker housings.trying to attach pictures: Crutchfields adapters Gutted stock speaker from original mount, drilled 1/2" hole in side for Crutchfield wire harness adapter and pop riveted back on to door frame. side view showing hole for wiring harness and how it's raised to meet the door panel grill for a snug fit. Just used 1-1/4" drywall screws to attach speakers, STURDY! Then put weatherstrip around the speakers metal frame for an added snug seal. Rear mount plastic frame had to be modified to fit due to the Pioneers middle speakers raise up approx. 1/2". I cut a half inch off the mount height using a sawsall and a vice (wasn't hard, plastic is soft)Hope this helps, I noticed a big difference in sound quality getting the speakers up against the door panels.

526674=15794-Vibe01.jpg
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Looks great! after I noticed how far the speaker was away from the door panel, I threw out the factory brackets. After your post about how the sound was restored I wish I would have kept them. Maybe its time to reinstall. Anyone still have the factory brackets ???
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on