05 GT, water dripping from dome light/moonroof switch (update w/pics)

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
the_sarge

05 GT, water dripping from dome light/moonroof switch (update w/pics)

Post by the_sarge »

Hey all! Whenever it rains heavily I've got water dripping from the dome light/moonroof switch housing. The two front moonroof drains look to be clear. Is there any way to adjust the moonroof or replace the gasket? Anyone had similar problems?
keithvibe

Re: 05 GT, water dripping from dome light/moonroof switch (the_sarge)

Post by keithvibe »

there are four drains connected to the moon/sun roof... one of them is most likely clogged.You will have to unclog the drain.There are photos here showing the drains... but I can't locate them ATM...Someone please chime in with the photos.Edithttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=4600
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
the_sarge

Re: 05 GT, water dripping from dome light/moonroof switch (keithvibe)

Post by the_sarge »

Thanks...I took a quick look at the front ones this morning. Looked clear. I'll be a-takin down the headliner this weekend
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

Your welcome...
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
bodhi_tree777

Re: 05 GT, water dripping from dome light/moonroof switch (keithvibe)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I would venture a guess that the light and switch you're referring to weren't designed to hold water or get wet either. You may want to take a close look at everything electrical up there when you have the liner down. I'm not sure how you'd go about testing things, but I'd keep an eye out for any obvious corrosion, wrapped wires coming unwrapped due to moisture, etc. Post up some photos if you get the chance, always nice to see the guts of our cars.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
the_sarge

Post by the_sarge »

Well today I took my headliner down--thanks vibeforwinter for the writeup. Only thing I ran into was the wiring for the dome lights was taped to the headliner. Pulled the tape off and the headliner came out no worries.The drains were clear. I blew them out with compressed air to make sure. I then had a helper turn the hose on the moonroof and saw freekin niagara falls at the driver's front and passenger's rear corners! Pics in separate posts.I'm thinking of replacing the gasket around the glass panel, and maybe the panel needs adjustment too. Has anyone done this?
the_sarge

Post by the_sarge »

Passenger rear (please rotate 90 degrees left, sorry... )

516404=15587-photo-4.JPG
the_sarge

Post by the_sarge »

Driver front (please rotate 90 degrees right this time)

516405=15588-photo-1.JPG
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

The rear passenger side drainage tube in my car behind the cladding in the cargo area was kinked, which was causing leaking ( http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=25645). I know you said you blasted air through the drainage holes (so did I), but did you look under the car to make sure the water was actually draining from the tubes? If they are all draining properly there will be four wet spots (on the road) where they empty, kinda near each corner of the car.Also, I believe you should be able to adjust the height of the moon roof glass itself, might be able to get a better seal that way.
the_sarge

Post by the_sarge »

Thanks Epic...I did that cup of water check, all 4 drains clear. I removed the rear side panels for another project--the tubes are straight.I called my friendly local GM dealer...their quote for a weatherstrip for the roof was $325 . Toyota's was $28.78. (removed)? Of course neither dealer knew if the weatherstrips are interchangeable, but I'm using the Toyota maintenance manual (raise a glass to Sublimewind!) and everything matches up exactly. The roof panel was out of alignment. I got it aligned per the manual--had to clean off the grease to see the alignment marks--and when I reinstalled the roof I still have the leaks. A LOT of water comes in.I went out to eat and knock back a few cold ones. When I came out there was a Vibe in the parking lot that had a sunroof. How nice. That car's roof panel gasket seemed much thicker than mine. I could tell it made a much better seal.So I ordered the Toyota weatherstrip...does anyone know if the Matrix/Vibe moonroof panels are the same? I figure if not I'm only out $30.