PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
dopeman127

PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood

Post by dopeman127 »

So after hearing so much about plastidip I decided it would be a smart alternative to vinyl or paint for my hood! Top of my car is vinyl and hood is plastidip, what do you guys think!?

Attached files
blackrayne

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (dopeman127)

Post by blackrayne »

I like it, but then, I've been spending a lot of time hanging out with VW people lately with mismatching car parts. Seriously though, I think it looks good. Wonder how it'll hold up to the elements (especially flying stones).
November, 2011 VOTM!
KITT222

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (dopeman127)

Post by KITT222 »

It looks great! Nice Vibe! It should weather pretty nicely. I P-dipped my license plate valance some time ago along with my headlight eyelids, and they're holding up perfectly! Especially the eyelids. A stone smacked the hood right above them, chipping the paint (grr...) so some rocks are bound to have hit them at some point.
vibenvy

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (KITT222)

Post by vibenvy »

Looks good ! You need to post more pictures of your Vibe though! I'm curious to see what the back looks like!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Infinity-x

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by Infinity-x »

Yeah please post pictures of the tail lights, they looked smoked? I wonder if I can plasti-dip my tail lights.
Serj22

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (Infinity-x)

Post by Serj22 »

The hood looks ok right now, but let me know when a rock hits it and the whole thing starts to peel off, or you decide to wash it... I'm dealing with a poorly painted hood right now, and was wondering about this alternative, till I saw bad results due to elements. Vinyl may have been better, but steeper in price at about $90 to cover that area.
Pioneer HU2 x D3tAK tweeters in stock location (M&T)4 x Diamond Audio D162.5i1 x Pioneer TS-W309S4 SubPolk Audio Pa330 (To drive Sub)
mac99d

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (Serj22)

Post by mac99d »

That’s tight....love the flat black look.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT222

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (Serj22)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by Serj22 »The hood looks ok right now, but let me know when a rock hits it and the whole thing starts to peel off, or you decide to wash it... I'm dealing with a poorly painted hood right now, and was wondering about this alternative, till I saw bad results due to elements. Vinyl may have been better, but steeper in price at about $90 to cover that area.Elements shouldn't affect well-sprayed Plasti-dip. Like I said, the eyelids and plate valance on my car at Plasti-dipped, and are still perfect. The garage door got caught on the rear one, actually, and just left some slight marks. No peeling at all, just the scratches where the door caught almost a year ago.
BlueCrush

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood

Post by BlueCrush »

Looks pretty cool! I'm curious as to how it will hold up over time with the elements, mainly sunlight and extreme cold. Would you need to use some sort of conditioner to prevent fading, cracking?
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
northvibe

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (BlueCrush)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Looks pretty cool! I'm curious as to how it will hold up over time with the elements, mainly sunlight and extreme cold. Would you need to use some sort of conditioner to prevent fading, cracking?It will last no problem. It's done on wheels and stays if you do about 3-5 coats. It is almost like rubber. I did it on my car and drove to chicago and back without issue. You can use a high pressure washer to help get it off, and then when you have part of it started to remove, it can almost roll/peel off.
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

That looks awesome!My cladding is ALL done in Plasti-dip, and the only place where it is shredded is the kick plate on either side where shoes and pant-legs constantly rub. The cool thing about this is that after I wash it up, and peel the Klingons off and tap down the edges with a finger, I can just hose that area with a new coat and it settles out and you can't tell where the old was and new starts, no ridges. I did it before winter hit, and getting ready to wash her up and get it touched up for the BUGGY summer. I have gone through a whole winter of salt, sand, grit, and 60m a day commutes as well as the high power auto car wash, and still the only blemish is that high traffic/abuse area.. not even the NOSE is chipped. The reason I chose plasti-dip is because I will be replacing most of the beat up cladding before a real paint job anyway, so this was a simple, easy to keep up way to make it look NICE without spending a fortune on cladding that needs replaced anyway.
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
tpollauf

Re: PlastiDip on 09 Vibe GT hood (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY » I'm curious to see what the back looks like!x2 !!! Looks like your spoiler and "who knows" is also blacked out. Definitely post pics of the rear soon. Overall, seeing how your car is White, this "black top elevation" look is actually pretty sharp I'm not so sure it would look as good with some of the other colors out there.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I'm not a huge fan. I think it looks like the hood was replaced with one that was only primed and not repainted. Just some constructive criticism Though, you did a good job with it.
vit

Post by vit »

Hmmm... I like it. How about following the hood line down to the front around the grill to the bottom of bumper??