Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
journeyforce

Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day

Post by journeyforce »

So I gave my Buick Lesabre to my brother who needed a bigger car to replace the old car he had and also sold the Saturn Aura and went car shopping. I got a new 2012 Scion XB at the beginning of this week to keep the Vibe companyHere it is in a parking lot close to work yesterday(I was not able to get a good shot of the vehicle before yesterday)I have another brother with a 2009 XB and I found his XB very roomy on the inside but a nice size(I had a hard time finding parking spaces for the Lesabre that had enough room to get it all in the space without the rear hanging out)I got a good deal on it and it came equipped with a lot for so little. It has the 2.4l like in the non base Vibes and the interior had a lot of reminders of the Vibe(such as seats and inside door handles)Starting in 2011 the XB got rid of the stupid single reverse light in the bumper and a better front endI have always liked the box look and it does compliment the Vibe and it being a auto means I can drive it everyday to work in trafficOn the dealership lot I saw a car that spells the possible end of the matrix. It is called the Prius C and it is very Matrix like. There was one parked to the lone Matrix on the dealer lot and they look about the same size. Plus it starts at a nice $19000 for a base model. A well equipped one was selling at that dealer for $22438 before taxes and all that other happy horse crap. The Matrix on the lot was selling for $23581 before all that stuff and it was only a 1.8l with steel rims and auto trans It seems this Prius C is going to steel whatever thunder the Matrix has left. But only time will tell. it is very roomy inside the cabin.I have always wondered why they don't put this hybrid tech in a Corolla as it is a well loved and well known nameplate As for me I would have considered the Prius C or the Matrix but I got the Scion XB fully loaded for $18934 out the door
chadhgraves

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day (journeyforce)

Post by chadhgraves »

So what are your thought on the XB? You like it? I always liked them cause they were so different from everything else on the road. Everyone else called me crazy and said they're the ugliest car they've seen. Take a few inside photos when you get a chance. Always wanted to see inside them.
jake75

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day (chadhgraves)

Post by jake75 »

The original xB was a little confining, but the newer ones would make my "A list" if I were in the market. The KIA Soul and Nissan Cube are similar. I sort of lost track of the Prius line - is the C different than their new hatchback that I thought was a lot more than $20,000?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
ColonelPanic

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day (jake75)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I thought they were saying the C was going to be in the $30k range? Seems smaller than I was expecting too. (Unless I was thinking about the "Lexus, because I'm too good to own a Toyota" Matrix knock-off thing.) Anyway, congrats on the little bread truck. How does it compare to the Vibe in terms of comfort, road/engine/wind noise, cargo space and fuel economy?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jake75

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day (ColonelPanic)

Post by jake75 »

"Bread Truck." That's a good one. Just happens I am fond of bread trucks. Very practical.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
trb

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day

Post by trb »

LOL! Now we need some butter and jam, so we can make some toast! My sister had a 1st gen XB and I always called it her Toaster Car!They are neat vehicles for what you get for the money. I've seen some pretty nice ones.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Toyota Prius C is the new entry line and it is smaller. the Toyota Prius V is the larger wagon.Scion has the smaller "Smart sized" IQ with a 1.3 liter engine and CVT which is ICE only that is supposed to get 36 city, 37 highway.Then there is the Lexus CT200h, hybrid.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
ColonelPanic

Re: (10vibe1.8auto)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by 10vibe1.8auto »Toyota Prius C is the new entry line and it is smaller. the Toyota Prius V is the larger wagon.Aha, that is it - thanks.

Image Image
jake75

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by jake75 »

The Columbus, OH auto show is next weekend - got a 1 free with 1 deal on tickets via Groupon. Maybe the Prius C will be there.
vibenvy

Re: (jake75)

Post by vibenvy »

Love the color on the xB !That Prius C is pretty nice looking. I saw a white Prius V in person the other day. It was really nice looking and reminded me alot of a Vibe, but the C seems to be even more similar to the Vibe/Matrix, especially price-wise.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Sorry for the delay in responding, It has been hit or miss with this forum and my computer over the last week or so(it kept crashing my browser)Anyway to answer all questions:First off, I will take more pics tomorrow or Sunday.It is very Vibe like(which is not surprising since Toyota made both the Vibe and matrix and the XB) Toyota also sells the XB as the Rukus for the Australian Market and the Toyota Corolla Rumion for the Japanese Market. Both the Rumion and Rukus are right hand drive(RHD)The door handles, texture of the carpet on the doors, rear wiper arm, HVAC controls, seats are the same as the VibeThe XB’s wheels are the same as the Vibe/Matrix 1.8l base. All three of the cars have 16x 6.5 5X114.3mm bolt patterns so that means the 2 spare rims for the Vibe that I keep in my basement will work on the XBIt comes with the same 2.4l 4 cyl as the Vibe GT and has 160hp. The XB is not a sports car by any means but it keeps up with traffic very well.The XB has excellent room in it. I am 6ft 1in and even with the seat height adjusted all the way up, I still have about a good foot and a half of room between my head and the roof.Things I don’t like about the XB:1.Ride is quite a bit harsher then my last car2.No temp gauge(the 2008-2010 models had one but some moron at Toyota decided a full time clock(the 08-10 had the clock situated in the same pod as the odometer and required choosing between seeing the odo or the clock) was more important then a temp gauge. Amazing a 2012 model car has a dummy light instead of a gauge)3.gas mileage is not steller (I only get 27-28 mpg)All in all I do like the car a lot
ColonelPanic

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by ColonelPanic »

I don't understand the lack of a temp gauge on some new vehicles.. Why don't we just go back to the 70's and 80's with just a speedometer, fuel gauge, odometer and a bunch of idiot lights. But honestly, the gauge is not much better than an idiot light since many are dumbed down to NOT move past normal until it gets really hot... ScanGaugeE or ScanGauge-II will fix the temp gauge issue, giving you a more accurate reading than you would get from a factory installed gauge anyway.

Image Image
jake75

Re: (ColonelPanic)

Post by jake75 »

Going to the Columbus Auto Show tonight if something else doesn't get in the way. NCAA games not on today so downtown parking ought to be easy. Paper said there was a "prototype" Prius C on display. They are always locked and usually on a roped off platform. I think that is for some silly legal reason here in Ohio. Part of a set of state laws that tries to insulate car dealers from competition - like that is working very well. The Dealers Association greases the palms of the legislators on a frequent basis. Ohio has the best legislative body money can buy and that happens day in and day out. One was even indicted this week for taking bribes. Still not as bad as Illinois.
jake75

Re: (journeyforce)

Post by jake75 »

In regard to "Amazing a 2012 model car has a dummy light instead of a gauge" - I read somewhere on here that many of the temp gauges we see are really just a dummy light. Maybe even the on on our Vibes.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

Here are some pics of the XBThese are quick and dirty pics with a crap blackberry camera. When the sun comes out and it is warmer, I will take better pics
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

A buddy of mine has an original xB, and I was floored by how much space was in that thing. The rear leg room is obscenely good (knees were in line with my thighs when seated, and I must have had 4 or 5 inches of clearance from the front seats. Such a strange feeling to freely move your legs and feet in a car that seems kind of tiny. The dash, like your 2nd gen, has so many useful storage spots, and I like the boxy Dodge-like dash. There's something about all of these (removed)-pit tight angles they are putting in everything now that bugs me. I like to have some space, and the xBs give you that. And with the rear seats down, you can enjoy the Vibe-like versatility for cargo. Again, I was surprised how much I like these. I would have to get some TRD rims and other trimmings to be a happy owner, but it would be worth it.
Steelies to the rescue.
chadhgraves

Re: Got a 2012 Scion XB the other day (jkm311)

Post by chadhgraves »

I love the interior. Thanks for taking some pics. I've never ridden in one, but the leg room looks spacious. That was a big selling point on the Vibe for me. The fact that it feels like your setting in a chair instead of a beanbag on the floor is why I'll never get a compact car. Every other car I ride in now is awful compared to the deep floor wells like the XB and Vibe. It makes a world of difference on a long road trip when you can move your legs around. I also like to sit up in my car most of the time and it's nice to have some head room. I'm 6' and still have plenty of room in my Vibe. I haven't been in the market for a new car since '04 so I don't know if the trend is following the more legroom/headroom formula, but I know that will be a deciding factor on my next car.I love the cup holders on the door and all the storage slots on the dash.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I see you have Shalamar on your I pod....
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Persephone

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by Persephone »

A Scion XD is actually the vehicle that led me to getting a Vibe. . . lolAlso ooooh my god, the interior looks incredible!!
My lovely Gambit.