Waxing NOT

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
ParknVibe

Waxing NOT

Post by ParknVibe »

Has anyone with a new 2009-2010 Vibe NOT yet waxed his or her car? I have not except just to wash it once in a while. My car seems to stay pretty clean.
vibe2.1

Re: Waxing NOT (ParknVibe)

Post by vibe2.1 »

never waxed, occasionally washed, recalls not done yet
tpollauf

Re: Waxing NOT (vibe2.1)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by vibe2.1 »never waxed, occasionally washed, recalls not done yetDittto . Mainly due to it being garaged, the very low mileage (just over 11k) and NO TIME. It WILL get a full detail & wax this spring/summer before the Erie Pa. meet Juniors Vibe will really need it done as it is outdoors all the time and has several scratches mainly from the previous owner
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Re: Waxing NOT (vibe2.1)

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by vibe2.1 »never waxed, occasionally washed, recalls not done yetDitto too, but I did get the recalls done. I've actually only washed it once, right around Christmas, about 3 weeks after I got it. I wanted to wet sand the scratches in the clear coat to see if I could get them out. The prior owner left several scratches, but they are just in the clear coat, not down to the paint. I worked on the drivers side and got several of them out, and the remaining ones are not as noticable. I need to buy a good buffer, my 30+ yr old sander/ buffer only has two speeds, fast and faster, and I'm afraid I will burn through the paint!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The only waxing mine has ever seen is at the automatic car wash.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
ParknVibe

Re: Waxing NOT (star_deceiver)

Post by ParknVibe »

What kind of wax or icing is on your cake? Looks show room clean.
ponta2147

Re: Waxing NOT

Post by ponta2147 »

All this talk of not waxing and not washing is making me twitch I am such a clean freak when it comes to my car that it grosses me out when it gets covered in too much muck.I do a full exterior detail (wash, claybar, wax, polish) twice a year: mid-fall to protect it from the winter salt, and early spring to remove all the winter salt (lol damn salt). I also try to wash it at least every 1-2 weeks (I have unlimited washes per month at the local Delta Sonic right up the street, where I also get gas).
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ParknVibe

Re: Waxing NOT (ponta2147)

Post by ParknVibe »

I would be the same ...washing and waxing my former cars. Then get mad when it rains the next day and there's spots all over the body.With my new Vibe, I wanted to see how it will hold up without waxing.I did buy a spray on wax but never had the time after I washed the car. I have theory that if you wax the car, The rough Wax film will easily collect and hold the dirt onto the surface. As a result, the car gets dirty-er faster. Without the wax coating the rain washes off the dirt.
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »I would be the same ...washing and waxing my former cars. Then get mad when it rains the next day and there's spots all over the body.With my new Vibe, I wanted to see how it will hold up without waxing.I did buy a spray on wax but never had the time after I washed the car. I have theory that if you wax the car, The rough Wax film will easily collect and hold the dirt onto the surface. As a result, the car gets dirty-er faster. Without the wax coating the rain washes off the dirt.I used to wash my Mustang every 1-2 weeks, and wax it at least 3 times a year. It is not a clear coat finish, so it oxidizes pretty fast even with wax. One thing is for sure, before the wax job, my towels would stay put on the hood just fine, even when the car is dry. After a thorough compound/ polish/ wax process, the towels would always slip right off the hood with no effort. Now I'm lucky if I wash my cars 3 or 4 times a year, and I've only waxed our 06 Vibe and 07 Explorer once since we bought them 3-1/2 years ago. I just don't have the time now, and I refuse to pay money for someone else to do it. They do have a rough surface, but with the clear coats, they don't show the wear like older finished did. And the rains do clean them off pretty well, as long as I don't drive in the rain.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Re: Waxing NOT (trb)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »All this talk of not waxing and not washing is making me twitch I am such a clean freak when it comes to my car that it grosses me out when it gets covered in too much muck.I do a full exterior detail (wash, claybar, wax, polish) twice a year: mid-fall to protect it from the winter salt, and early spring to remove all the winter salt (lol damn salt). I also try to wash it at least every 1-2 weeks (I have unlimited washes per month at the local Delta Sonic right up the street, where I also get gas).Same here. I do the clay bar and Mother's 3 Step Ultimate Wax System twice a year and I usually end up using the 2nd and 3rd steps of the Mother's UWS about once a month or so. I also use Mother's Car Wash that has caranuba in it.The previous two winters the Vibes haven't gotten washed very much, but this winter has been unseasonably warm and dry so they have actually gotten handwashed in the driveway twice so far ! I can't wait for spring though !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jake75

Re: Waxing NOT (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by jake75 »

I am ashamed to admit that I have not waxed any of my cars for more than 10 years. Today's paints seem to be very good. When I traded in my 2001 PT Cruiser in 2004 the dealer described it's exterior and interior condition as exceptional. Of course it was garaged.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I've still yet to wax. Even though I've been planning on it the last 3 years of ownership
Houston

Re: (09vGT)

Post by Houston »

I haven't waxed my '09 yet. Maybe I'll get around to it. Maybe not. The finish applied to today's cars is much better than what it used to be.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by ParknVibe »I would be the same ...washing and waxing my former cars. Then get mad when it rains the next day and there's spots all over the body.With my new Vibe, I wanted to see how it will hold up without waxing.I did buy a spray on wax but never had the time after I washed the car. I have theory that if you wax the car, The rough Wax film will easily collect and hold the dirt onto the surface. As a result, the car gets dirty-er faster. Without the wax coating the rain washes off the dirt. I forgot to say that my Vibe stays outside 24/7 in the sun, rain, snow, radiation, fire, ice, rock salt, and a lot of UV.To protect my dash board, and keep my seat cooler. I have been facing the car east. (I back it into the driveway.) I never did that with my old car. For the most part the car just sits in the driveway.
heartfire9

Post by heartfire9 »

I used good clay bar and found the paint is not in great shape. It's a 2004 so maybe it's my own fault since I have been kinda lax about keeping it cleaned and waxed. My dodge truck was a MESS for a long time. Clay bar and waxing got it smooth and shiny and silky as a babies (removed). It was a 1998! Is it the paint on the Vibe that is crap or what??
Pretty red 2004 with AR rims, michelin pilots, nothing else fancy, ready to see whats available to spiff her up
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I plead guilty to that. Like flossing - you know you should, but you're lazy. I had a 2001 PT Cruiser that I traded in at 39 months. It was never waxed but looked showroom perfect after a wash. Ditto the 2003 Vibe I sold after 72 months.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."