Wiper arm freezes???

Ontario
metaxa44

Wiper arm freezes???

Post by metaxa44 »

This morning seems like my windshiel wiper motor frooz..The wiper arm was off the windshield over night , so it was not froozen to the glass,but still did not work..After half on hour I moved it by hand and sudenly started to work again..Motor or actuater could be froozen ???Any ideas what to do next time???Thanks..
star_deceiver

Re: Wiper arm freezes??? (metaxa44)

Post by star_deceiver »

Check the connections on the wiper motor, or perhaps some water froze the arms connected to the motor.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
metaxa44

Re: Wiper arm freezes??? (star_deceiver)

Post by metaxa44 »

It did it again...I lossened up the ice yesterday and with help got the wiper going again..This morning it is stuck again..I have a fealing the motor is going on me...I start to not like this car..Firsth the alternator now the wiper and the car is only 3 years old...
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

weird that itd be frozen...just make sure the base wasnt/isnt frozen upits cheap/easy to replace, though
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Question, is the wiper shaft literally FROZEN (ice) or is the electric motor frozen (mechanically seized)?Big difference of fix methods.I'd try to liberally soak the wiper pivot with a product such as WD40 to lubricate and disperse moisture out of it. It's cheap, it's easy and if it's moisture, it'll fix it.The motor? Probably a new one will be needed. Things are designed to be fixed much today.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Raven

Re: Wiper arm freezes??? (djkeev)

Post by Raven »

Mine did the same thing recently. The shaft that passes through the rear glass is corroded from salt and water and crud. Spray it liberally for a few days with WD40 until it loosens up. You could remove the wiper arm but they can be stubborn to get off because of corrossion. If you keep running it while it's binding you will literally burn out the motor as in "Help me I'm melting"!EDIT: My mistake, I was thinking rear wiper because of my problem with mine. I was working on it and the gears fell out of the motor case. I'm waiting for a photo from someone to figure out how to put them back together.
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

Is this question about the front wiper(s), or the rear wiper?I figured it was front by the initial description of "windshield" wiper - but wiper arm is listed as a singular - such as the rear.If the OP could clarify, maybe we could be of more help. Sorry to hear you're having doubts about the quality of the car. I believe most of us have been quite satisfied, and overall they're considered to be one of the more reliable entry level cars out there. I think a lot of pride went into the assembly of our cars going by postings of previous employees. I work at an assembly job myself - and the unfortunate thing is that regardless of how well you try to build something, inevitably you occasionally have components fail. Hopefully once you get this issue straightened out, you'll get to enjoy some low maintenance motoring for a while!John
metaxa44

Re: (j42.snyder)

Post by metaxa44 »

Hey Guys,Happy New Year to you all...It is by the way my front wipers, and it did it again this morning ..-12 in my area...
djkeev

Re: (metaxa44)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by metaxa44 »Hey Guys,Happy New Year to you all...It is by the way my front wipers, and it did it again this morning ..-12 in my area...So It's Ice??Take off the wiper arm from the pivot. Liberally soak the center shaft where the blade mounts with WD 40 (once the ice thaws). WD 40 is a product that displaces moisture and your problems should be done!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
metaxa44

Re: (djkeev)

Post by metaxa44 »

Well , I put the car in the garage for 1 hour ...Of course it warmed up and the wiper worked again...I sprayed it with DW-40 and left it for half an hour before put the car outside...Temp. will be -17 Celsius over night..I Hope this will work...
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by metaxa44 »Well , I put the car in the garage for 1 hour ...Of course it warmed up and the wiper worked again...I sprayed it with DW-40 and left it for half an hour before put the car outside...Temp. will be -17 Celsius over night..I Hope this will work...IF you got the oil down the pivot shaft, if will be fine. As I mentioned, it would be best to remove the wiper blade to expose the pivot point.Good Luck!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Well it did not work , but now in the mild weather everything OK...I do not need an other summer car...I got one all ready...LOL..

Attached files
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Did you disassemble?? Spraying stuff on the outside does nothing. You need to get down into the pivot points of the shaft, also helps to operate it while you a spraying into the pivot point.I suspect that IF it is water in the wiper shaft, you didn't get the WD 40 into the shaft for it would have worked.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Ok, that is it...This morning only minus 2 no wiper again..Pissed off very mush sooooooooooooooooooo..got home after work ,right into the garage off the wiper arms ( was very easy by the way )and soaked in wd40..Sprayed it about 6-7 time every half hour..Reinstalled everything and left car in garage over night...HOPE this will WORK...It is mild here now , but next time we have a cold night we will see..
dustie

Post by dustie »

Glad I live in the desert... I just have to worry about my wiper blade melting.. haha!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

No warranty on the car?
metaxa44

Re: (thebarber)

Post by metaxa44 »

Of course not ..And wd-40 did nothing..Temp down to -7 ,and of course wiper motor not working again...
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Well by removing the arms you gained access to the pivoting shaft. IF there was any water in the shaft and IF you were able to get the WD 40 down in there, that would fix your issue. IT obviously didn't which means that somehow you've got ice in your motor, I don't know how you'd ever do that, or the problem isn't ice at all but something to do with decreased clearances between rotating metal pieces in the cold. 2 choices, pull your fresh air grille and access all of the linkage and the motor or take it to a dealer and have them locate the problem.This is a really odd problem for front wipers!! The rear can often seize due to lack of use and corrosion but rarely the fronts!Good luck, sorry the easy cheap fix didn't work for you! It was worth a try though!!Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
metaxa44

Re: Wiper arm freezes??? (djkeev)

Post by metaxa44 »

Thanks Dave for trying to help...
metaxa44

Post by metaxa44 »

Wiper relay maybe stuck in the cold temp???And if there is one anybody know where???