Door ajar light always on

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
austinb82

Door ajar light always on

Post by austinb82 »

Hi. I recently picked up a 2005 vibe and love it. However, the other day the door ajar light started staying on all the time. I've checked all the doors and the hatch multiple times and they are definitely all closed. I tried unscrewing, unplugging and replugged in all the door sensors on all 4 of the main doors. One thing I have noticed is that the door ajar light becomes brighter when the door is actually open. Also the cabin overhead light was working just fine when this issue started but now it too has started staying on after i close the doors when it is on the door setting (it does go off when i switch it to off).I have searched various forums including this one for other posts discussing this problem and I found some where someone had the same issue with the door ajar light on all the time and getting brighter with the door open however, I could never find any conclusion to any of the posts and what the problem was.Some people mentioned it could be the Multi-function alarm module under the drivers side fuse box but when I look under there I don't know what I am looking for, is it the big green thing? How would I test the MFAM, just take it out and see if the light goes off? Also if it is of any help in diagnosis the keyless entry still works just fine. Thanks.
djkeev

Re: Door ajar light always on (austinb82)

Post by djkeev »

On my 07, I had a clogged sunroof drain and water dripped down into the drivers side. The door ajar light was always on, key in or out, key on or off. Once I cleared the debris from the drain and everything dried out, the light went off.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
austinb82

Post by austinb82 »

No sunroof on mine so its not that. I found the MFAM, it was that green thing labeled integration relay (toyota's term). Does anyone know how to troubleshoot it? should i just remove it and if the lights are still on its not the MFAM? Also how do I go about removing the MFAM if that is the issue...do I have to take the whole dash out?
lovemyraffe

Re: (austinb82)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Make sure your hatch glass is closed. If you accidentally opened it, it will say your door is ajar. I did this shortly after I got my Vibe and drove around like that for a few days before I figured it out.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
austinb82

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by austinb82 »

Nope I checked the hatch (both the window and the door itself) and all the doors multiple times, I've slammed it down pretty hard but the light is still on and has been for several days during which time all doors (and the hatch) have been opened and closed multiple times as well.
morbay

Re: Door ajar light always on (austinb82)

Post by morbay »

My 2009 occasionally has an issue in the rear hatch when the sealing material comes slightly loose and causes the hatch to not shut entirely causing the door ajar light to come on, took me some time to figure out what was going on. I just have to re-seat the sealant material in the grooves and it quits.
Rob Pettigrew2009 Ultra White 2.4 AWDPearl White Arrowhead overlaysPainted Calipers October 2010 MOTM
austinb82

Re: Door ajar light always on (morbay)

Post by austinb82 »

It feels like the hatch is closing all the way but maybe it is open just enough that the light stays on? Is there a way to test to see if it is the rear hatch not quite closing all the way like you can with the other doors by pressing the little door courtesy swtiches which are on every door? It seems like that switch on the hatch is a part of the latch, can I open the hatch and stick a screwdriver down that latch to see if the light goes off when fully engaged? Also about the door courtesy switches on all 4 of the regular doors. If I unscrewed the switches and unplugged the wire harness from each one, should the light have gone off if the problem was with one of the switches or would removing a switch just cause the light to stay on all the time?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Will check the manual when I get home. Do you have a Multimeter (Volt, Ohms...etc). When check the switches do you have access to the wires?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
austinb82

Re: (Salsa Guy)

Post by austinb82 »

I do have a nice digital multimeter at home but I don't know really know much about electric stuff like this so I wouldn't know what to test. I also have no clue how to read a wiring diagram so even if I had the manual it wouldn't be of much use. The door switches do have a connector with several wires coming out of it so I could probably test the wires. If you can interpret the diagram in your manual for me and tell me what I need to test it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Ok the door switches are normally closed. What that means when the door is open the switch is closed and completes the circuit. To test it remove one switchs from the door jamb. Disconnect the wire (should be only one) from the switch and see it it clears the door ajar alarm, with all other doors closed (remember the dome light may stay on for 30 seconds or so). If not reconnect and re-install the switch and move to the next one until you find the faulty switch. If all switchs test good it has something to do with the multifunction alarm module or some wiring short between the switches and module. Goodluck dude
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
austinb82

Post by austinb82 »

Ok so it is not the switches as when they are disconnected from the wire the door ajar light stays on...Is there a way to test the MFAM?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

What you need to now test is the wiring going back to the MFAM. That will tell you if the MFAM is bad or not. If you have a short on the wiring it's seeing a door open all the time. If no short then I would think the MFAM is bad.
austinb82

Post by austinb82 »

Weird, all of a sudden today the light started working properly again and turning off when I closed the door. I haven't opened any doors other than the drivers door since it was still an issue last night but I did drive it about 30 miles this morning so maybe it was just a lose wire that worked itself back into place.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

That's strange. You are dealing with a short somewhere. Maybe one of those wires (or switch) you messed with was grounding. Hopefully that will fix your problem....for awhile.
austinb82

Post by austinb82 »

Yeah i'm starting to think it is a short too. I drove the car tonight and the light isn't completely out but much dimmer than before.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Trying to find a intermittent short is hard when dealing with these control modules because they are designed to short (or get paths to ground for signals). I perfer when you have a short fuses will blow then at least you can find the right area to start in.
rcnut

Post by rcnut »

Not sure if you solved your problem, but I posted in another thread as I had the same problem. I could figure out how to copy the URL of my post so here it is again...Quote »So I had this same problem today, a day after I had pressure washed the wife's Vibe. For sure I wanted to blame her for this problem but later decided to seriously take a look at it and landed here on this forum.Thanks to whoever posted the wiring schematic for this area. I checked all the door switches and found them to be dry and hidden behind the rubber boots that were intact and not damaged in anyway leading me to believe they were fine. I decided then that it had to be one of the two switches in the rear lift gate. When I opend the gate, the bottom part of the interior trim panel on the gate was wet. I pulled the panel off to expose the wire harnesses, one leading to the gate switch. The connector was soaking wet. I separated the connector and blew it dry with compressed air, plugged it back in, and voila, problem solved. I thought if no has already solved this, I would share my findings.If you know where the connector is, all you need to do is pull the small rectangular access panel in the middle of the trim panel off and reach in and down to feel the connector. It's not easy to do if you have big hands, but at least feel if it is wet or not. Not sure why Pontiac decided to wrap the connector in foam, but they did and that was wet too.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Few months ago I had my light stuck on one day on my 03. Couldn't get it to go off checking all doors. then after restarting the car it came on about half as bright. Never found the problem, just went away after a day