03-05 Upgraded Oil Dipstick for 1ZZ-FE Motor

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Charles (in GA)

03-05 Upgraded Oil Dipstick for 1ZZ-FE Motor

Post by Charles (in GA) »

In another thread, micbarric posted a link to Toyota TSB 0134-08 which announces an upgraded oil dipstick for the 1ZZ-FE motor. http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...8.pdf The purpose of this is to add 1/2 qt of additional oil capacity to the engine, raising the oil refill capacity (with new filter) from 3.9 qts. to 4.4 qts.Tuesday I ordered the new oil gauge/dipstick from the Toyota dealer, picked it up today (Wed), $20.18 retail.While it is the new part number, and IS marked differently, for a higher oil level than the original stick out of my '04, it DOES NOT have the "identification mark" depicted on page 2 of the bulletin.It looks like you can attach only one attachment per post on this board (I'm used to boards that allow seven to ten per post), and since I don't have a hosting service such as Photobucket, and its better if they stay on this board (cannot get deleted when accounts go stale on the hosting service) I'll open several posts to show all the pics I have.I have annotated the pics so it should be pretty self explanatory. Charles

Attached files
Charles (in GA)

Re: 03-05 Upgraded Oil Dipstick for 1ZZ-FE Motor (Charles (in GA))

Here is the handle end of the sticks. Note that there is NO marking of any sort either on top of the stick, or anywhere inside the finger ring, that might indicate that it is a new version stick. Shame Toyota doesn't put part numbers on the stick like other manufacturers.Charles

Attached files
Charles (in GA)

Here is the handle end of the sticks, with a steel scale, English markings, just to show that they are the same length and aligned.Charles

Attached files
Charles (in GA)

Here is the business end of the dipstick, with a steel scale, English measure, to show where the marks are for both new and old versions.Charles

Attached files
Charles (in GA)

For those of you who have trouble with the English system of measure, here is the business end of the stick with a steel scale, Metric measure, for comparison of old and new sticks.Charles

Attached files
micbarric

Post by micbarric »

Great pics and info! Thanks for posting.
2005 Frosty
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

Thanks!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
jkm311

Re: (Old Tele man)

Post by jkm311 »

Quality post. Makes me want to run outside with a ruler, and I think will...
Steelies to the rescue.
Charles (in GA)

Just to report back. Before installing the new dipstick I had run two tanks of gas thru, and had 31.6 and 31.7 mpg on them. After installing the new oil dipstick I have run another tank full thru, and got 30.88 mpg. This tank was ethanol free gas (should have been better mileage) and may have been winter blend vs possibly... summer blend on the other two tank fulls.I will run two or three more tank fulls and if the mileage stays near 31 or below, I will drain a half quart out and put the old stick back in and see what I get then............I'll report back my findings.Charles
Mark

Post by Mark »

I just called the local Toyota dealer, they've never stocked this part number, and have never sold or installed one. The shop where I have my service done has never heard of this TSB either, and they're usually pretty good about looking this stuff up.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Kinda reminds me when pontiac upgraded my old Fiero's oil capicity
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Charles (in GA)

Re: (Charles (in GA))

Second tank full on the new dip stick and I had 31.56 MPG and that was packing the tank more than I have in the past.What I'm discovering is that this car is difficult to fuel consistently to the same "level". You don't want to pack the tank, that causes problems for the carbon canister and vent system, but the tank's filler tube is so small that the nozzle shuts off real early, and its not really full.In order to eliminate this inconsistency I set up a simple spread sheet to enter gas purchases into. Haven't messed with spreadsheets in years and never with Excel. This will calculate MPG for each fillup and also calculate a total MPG to date by adding all the miles together and all the gallons together and dividing. This eliminates the fill problem. I intend to run the 4.4 qt level to the first filter change (I change oil and filter each 10K mi and filters in between at 5K, using synthetic Amsoil). At the filter change, I will reinstall the old dipstick and run the 3.9 qt quantity for another 5K, possibly 10K and then again switch back to the new dipstick. I will eventually acquire enough data to confirm whether there is any change in gas mileage due to the higher oil level, and the crank whipping the oil.Charles
yyamad1

Post by yyamad1 »

Interesting thread Charles. I guess when I changed the oil pan gasket I should have visually checked to see where the dip stick marks are relative to the crank bottom....
Charles (in GA)

Well, I reached 5,000 miles the other day (since I got the car and changed the oil the first time), so I changed the oil filter, and put the old dipstick back in, ran the engine, and added about 10 oz of oil to bring it to full. I'll run this at least 5000 mil to the oil change and see how the gas mileage is doing.I've got an Excel spreadsheet going to track all the info on gas fillups and milage, odometer reading, where the gas was bought, etc. We'll see how the mileage does, if it changes any at all. If it goes up, I can assume the crank whips the oil at the higher oil level, if there is no change, then I guess I'm good to run the new oil level.I changed the oil filter just after filling up with gas. At that point, I've averaged 31.336 mpg.Charles
clownshoes

Re: 03-05 Upgraded Oil Dipstick for 1ZZ-FE Motor

Post by clownshoes »

the link is broken...anyone have an updated link?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Apparently the forum software changeover didn't go so well from the link and attachment standpoint. I will try to get around to re uploading the attachments for this thread and hopefully I can find good links to post also.

Charles
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Cannot edit the old posts, will have to make new ones to post the pics.

YOU MUST CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO VIEW THE FULL IMAGE!!!!!!!! OTHERWISE YOU WILL ONLY SEE PART OF IT. SORTA LIKE HAVING HUGE THUMBNAIL IMAGES.

Charles
Attachments
old and new stick with TSB.jpg
old and new stick with TSB.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 25819 times
dipstick package and TSB.jpg
dipstick package and TSB.jpg (117.41 KiB) Viewed 25819 times
Last edited by CharlesinGA on Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Ends of dipstick, showing markings and English measurement. Also first one, showing stick markings with metric measure.

Forum software displays pics in reverse order of uploading, last one first.

Metric measure

English measure

Handles aligned

Charles
Attachments
metric scale and marks on sticks.jpg
metric scale and marks on sticks.jpg (140.14 KiB) Viewed 25819 times
english scale and marks on sticks.jpg
english scale and marks on sticks.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 25819 times
english scale and handles on sticks aligned.jpg
english scale and handles on sticks aligned.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 25819 times
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

Here is a new link for the TSB 0134-08, on the dipstick replacement. It is an outside web site.

http://www.toyotapart.com/1ZZ-FE_ENGINE ... 134-08.pdf

Here is a link to the Toyota Technical Information Letter about the high oil consumption caused by piston skirt temps being too high, coking the rings, and causing them to stick. It is for the 1ZZ engines but oddly does not include the Matrix/Vibe motor, however, the new dipstick (which is the Toyota solution to the problem, let the crank throw more oil up on the pistons to keep them cool) TSB is applicable to the Matrix/Vibe motor.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47932072/gen7-oil-consumption

Charles
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

dipstick ordered from Toyota. 23.80 Plus Taxes if anyone is curious.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
biodieselrabbit

Post by biodieselrabbit »

Just wondering if anyone has had any more experiences with using the higher oil level. Has your oil consumption gone down? Has your gas mileage decreased similar to CharlesinGA?

I am hesitant to go ahead with this because I do not understand what VDS(s): KR30E, KR32E, KR38E, LR30E, LR32E,
LR38E means in the technical bulletin under Engine(s): 1ZZ. Can someone explain the acronym? Also, my oil consumption seems reasonable between oil changes so it would be more just a precautionary/preventative measure for me.

As a final clarification for CharlesinGA, is the new dipstick the same length as the old one? I am wondering because the "business end" of the dipsticks you show seems to indicate that I could just measure up 10mm from the existing mark for the new full if the dipsticks were the same length. Thanks.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

I haven't looked at this thread in quite a while. Apparently the mess with attachments being lost and not being carried over to the new forum were resolved, since the original attachments I posted (using my earlier, but now unusable screen name) did finally appear.

The dipsticks are identical except for the markings on them. They are both the same length, that is why I showed the handles of both sticks aligned on the steel measure scale, to prove they were identical. You could remark the existing stick, so long as you know and remember which are the high and low marks for the new oil level. My concern with marking the stick is that virtually any method I can think of (vibro etching, punch marking) cause cause stress risers in the thin metal that may lead to the stick breaking off in the engine. Probably more of a concern than a reality, but something to be aware of.

Charles
clownshoes

Post by clownshoes »

So far I have noticed no difference in fuel mileage or oil consumption. (My car consumed little to no oil anyways). This is more of a long term thing for me. I don't want my motor blowing up.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD
biodieselrabbit

Post by biodieselrabbit »

clownshoes wrote:So far I have noticed no difference in fuel mileage or oil consumption. (My car consumed little to no oil anyways). This is more of a long term thing for me. I don't want my motor blowing up.
I have come to the same conclusions.
2003 Pontiac Vibe
SWC2003Vibe

Post by SWC2003Vibe »

So a couple of years have passed... I'm very interested in the results. Has the upgraded oil dipstick for the 1ZZ-FE motor reduced oil consumption?
SWC, 2003 Vibe Base FWD, 1.8L 4 cyl 1ZZ-FE, Automatic, VIN 8
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I thought the shops always over-filled the oil. It is just because the marks on the original stick are lower.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Mark

Post by Mark »

After owning my 04 for 11 years and my 08 for almost 4, it finally occurred to me to compare the dipsticks. I was changing the oil on the 08 today and checked the manual to verify capacity, 4.4 qts. Then it clicked that the book on the 04 was different, so I looked and it's 3.9 qts.

So I pulled both dip sticks and laid them side by side, and it was only then that I remembered this thread and the new dipstick for the 04. So I marked the old dipstick with a scratch awl and then drilled a couple "dimples" with a 1/16" bit to line up with the marks on the new dipstick, then added the half quart to bring the 04 up to the new level.

I'm an idiot, no idea why I haven't done this before now.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
xcmtb83

Post by xcmtb83 »

Charles (in GA) wrote:In another thread, micbarric posted a link to Toyota TSB 0134-08 which announces an upgraded oil dipstick for the 1ZZ-FE motor. http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...8.pdf The purpose of this is to add 1/2 qt of additional oil capacity to the engine, raising the oil refill capacity (with new filter) from 3.9 qts. to 4.4 qts.Tuesday I ordered the new oil gauge/dipstick from the Toyota dealer, picked it up today (Wed), $20.18 retail.While it is the new part number, and IS marked differently, for a higher oil level than the original stick out of my '04, it DOES NOT have the "identification mark" depicted on page 2 of the bulletin.It looks like you can attach only one attachment per post on this board (I'm used to boards that allow seven to ten per post), and since I don't have a hosting service such as Photobucket, and its better if they stay on this board (cannot get deleted when accounts go stale on the hosting service) I'll open several posts to show all the pics I have.I have annotated the pics so it should be pretty self explanatory. Charles

Attached files
Great info here, Charles.

So did GM ever recognize this TSB or was this a Toyota only scenario? Do Vibe owners have to go buy a new dipstick from the Toyota dealership if they want to have the new style dipstick?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I recently upgraded the dipstick and noticed less valve tapping with startups on colder days. It would go away after engine reaches operating temp. Time will tell if it improved the oil consumption. Given that Im at 280K I dont see that happening but hey.....reduced noise on cold startups...I will take it :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on