Transmission won't shift into od when cold

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
carnut

Transmission won't shift into od when cold

Post by carnut »

We have recently purchased a 2003 vibe awd with 119000 miles.We got it in September when the weather was warm. Now that the temp has dropped below 50 I have noticed the automatic transmission won't shift into od until it warms up. (drove around 10 miles) Has anyone ever experianced this problem before?
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

It will shift into OD, but it's more of a fail-safe for the internals. The most I've got it to RPM wise has been about 4250 and that was flooring it in 1st. From there is will only go to about 4K. It's normal and saves on the internals for idiots like me that don't care how cold it is and floor it right away lol. But yeah, nothing to worry about.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
carnut

Post by carnut »

Thanks for the quick response! This is the first car I've had to do this so my mind was telling me "somethings wrong"I was also thinking (can't stop the hamster from running on the wheel...LOL) right before this started I replaced the cheap metal battery clamps with heavy duty marine one's. Could this have reset the ECU?
keithvibe

Re: Transmission won't shift into od when cold (carnut)

Post by keithvibe »

normal, till the transmission is up to temp it keeps it in lower gears.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Wow! I never knew this occurred (I guess since by the time I drive at higher speeds, the engine is somewhat warmed up).How long does it take for the engine to warm up so that it shifts into OD?
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Yep, depending on temp out mine does the same. Alttle un-nerving when I get on the highway right after leaving work and the cars is running over 3K.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
carnut

Post by carnut »

Well I improve the warmup time by putting a new thermostat in. The old one a a piece of plastic wedged between the seat. Don't ask me how that got in there. Warms up enough in 2 min. to shift into OD.Thanks everyone for your help.