Exterior front to rear door handle interchangeable?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
Scotman

Exterior front to rear door handle interchangeable?

Post by Scotman »

Hi all. I have searched the forums and cannot find an answer to my question. I have an 03 Vibe base model with manual locks. Is it possible to replace a rear handle with a front handle from a salvage yard, so that I would be able to enter the car from the rear door with a key?Thanks in advance! BTW This place is a great resource!Scott
paulclassa

Re: Exterior front to rear door handle interchangeable? (Scotman)

Post by paulclassa »

did you find out? 12/10/2011 first vibe $1800 04 base rough shape i need driver side back door handle mine was disfigured
Scotman

Re: Exterior front to rear door handle interchangeable? (paulclassa)

Post by Scotman »

I never found out...but I'd still like to know.
erife

Re: Exterior front to rear door handle interchangeable?

Post by erife »

HANDLE = yes The handle will interchange front to rear and visa versa. (If you ever pick up one from used or wrecked try to get the rear, its used less w/less wear, more difficult to get but...)

BUT NOT THE THUMB BUTTON. Thats where the lock (keyhole) is, it is screwed in from the rear at an angle on the front and the rear (without the keyhole) is straight on. Also there is no room for the lock mechanism due to the rear window guides among other things. The rear latch uses a fork type link and the front uses a rod & plate, totally different linkages. Great idea though...