Legal Question

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PHXLavaVibe

Legal Question

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

I have spent a lot of time searching the internet for an answer but I am still not sure if this is legal.I have about 35-40 Unabridged Audio Books that I obtained free of charge through a LAN. I have listened to most of these books several times via my computer and MP3 player. Does anyone know if it is legal or not to sell copies of these Audio Book files (MP3's). I was thinking about trying to either sell some copies or trade them for things I need around the house.Any input would be greatly appreciated.
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
jake75

Re: Legal Question (PHXLavaVibe)

Post by jake75 »

I would expect those to be subject to copyright just like software, video and music files. Copying would then be illegal even if you gave the copies away.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

If you really want to know, you would need to identify the material originator and determine what copyrights are in place on the audio products, which may vary from one audio book to another. My guess is that your obtaining them "free of charge through a LAN" was one copyright violation (or 35-50 violations according to RIAA). Redistributing for free or for consideration (money or barter) would be additional violation(s).It would likely be ok if you were selling/trading the original physical media, but it's different since you have unauthroized/pirated electronic copies
tribalman

Re: (joatmon)

Post by tribalman »

joatmon, normally i trust your judgment, but you are waaaayyy off. the RIAA would call it 70-80 violations. 35-40 for each the computer and then for the mp3 player. then another for each sale/other copy. but yeah, unless they are released under the Creative Commons with a distribution clause or a part of the Public Domain it isn't legal.
None. Vibe is gone.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I agree with everyone else. You are/would be violating copyright laws.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
PHXLavaVibe

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by PHXLavaVibe »

Thanks for all the input. I think i will just hang on to them myself and not risk any further legal issues. It would make for a killer profit though especially since one of the compete audio book series I have currently costs $454.80 to download/purchase from the publisher.
2006 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER Overall...an amazing vehicle for my family and lifestyle!!! Thanks everyone for allowing me to stay on GENVIBE SPECIAL THANKS TO KAMIKAZE FOR THE NEW SIGNATURE
jake75

Re: (PHXLavaVibe)

Post by jake75 »

A friend (over 18) of my daughter got nailed downloading a lot of music - by the time it was over she was out over $10,000 in settlement costs and attorney fees. Fortunately her parents could cover it.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
millster

Re: Legal Question (PHXLavaVibe)

Post by millster »

I don't really know what to say. A member who has been here long enough to know better posts about what is basically fraud on the board? Go back and review the terms of service for this forum. No discussion of illegal activity. For anyone so inclined to post like this in the future, I should be banning the OP as we speak. Instead, this is a warning to the entire board. locked
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build