Wawa and its gasoline

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Bastranz

Wawa and its gasoline

Post by Bastranz »

I always hear these rumors that Wawa gas is BAD, full of water, etc. At first, I generally avoided Wawas with my Vibe and strictly went to Sunoco with few exceptions (occasionally I'd go to the local Liberty if I needed gas immediately and/or didn't want to pay higher prices). After all, Sunoco is "racing fuel" as my friend says.Once my office moved, and gas prices started skyrocketing, I started stopping at a newly converted Valero (it used to be a ridiculously overpriced Sunoco Station). It wasn't generally that busy, and it was cheaper than other station (never went over the $4 mark fortunately), but my Vibe did NOT like the gas at all. Thankfully, I had no major issues, but it didn't run as smoothly as it normally did.One time I forgot to fill up at a Sunoco closer to home and went on a drive. I embarked upon a Wawa because my gas tank was way too low, and filled up there as normal. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was getting more miles to the tank than ever...at least with my daily commute. Also the Vibe runs as smooth as silk again. I tried the local Wawa by my office complex, and continued to get the same results. For the sake of convenience, I went back to Sunoco, but couldn't duplicate the results with Wawa gas.Apparently my Vibe and I really were meant for each other; just as I love Wawa (especially the coffee), Streak loves its gasoline. So since then I've been using Wawa gasoline when feasible. I do wonder, though...Could the fact that Wawa gas stations always seem to be insanely busy have something to do with the quality? Also, apparently Wawa "guarantees" its gasoline: http://www.wawa.com/wawaweb/Gas.aspxAnyone else have any experience with Wawa gasoline? I'm pretty pleased, quite honestly, and am surprised that it has such a bad rumor. My only frustration is dealing with all of these cars to get to the pump, but I love getting coupons with the receipts (when I remember to use them! )
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
keithvibe

Re: Wawa and its gasoline (Bastranz)

Post by keithvibe »

I have never had a problem with wawa gas.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
DrummerBoy

Post by DrummerBoy »

When I lived in NJ, I always used WAWA gas. I think that WAWA was using BP gasoline back then.
joatmon

Re: Wawa and its gasoline (keithvibe)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »I have never had a problem with wawa gas. me either
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »I always hear these rumors that Wawa gas is BAD, full of water, etc. At first, I generally avoided Wawas with my Vibe and strictly went to Sunoco with few exceptions (occasionally I'd go to the local Liberty if I needed gas immediately and/or didn't want to pay higher prices). After all, Sunoco is "racing fuel" as my friend says.Once my office moved, and gas prices started skyrocketing, I started stopping at a newly converted Valero (it used to be a ridiculously overpriced Sunoco Station). It wasn't generally that busy, and it was cheaper than other station (never went over the $4 mark fortunately), but my Vibe did NOT like the gas at all. Thankfully, I had no major issues, but it didn't run as smoothly as it normally did.One time I forgot to fill up at a Sunoco closer to home and went on a drive. I embarked upon a Wawa because my gas tank was way too low, and filled up there as normal. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was getting more miles to the tank than ever...at least with my daily commute. Also the Vibe runs as smooth as silk again. I tried the local Wawa by my office complex, and continued to get the same results. For the sake of convenience, I went back to Sunoco, but couldn't duplicate the results with Wawa gas.Apparently my Vibe and I really were meant for each other; just as I love Wawa (especially the coffee), Streak loves its gasoline. So since then I've been using Wawa gasoline when feasible. I do wonder, though...Could the fact that Wawa gas stations always seem to be insanely busy have something to do with the quality? Also, apparently Wawa "guarantees" its gasoline: http://www.wawa.com/wawaweb/Gas.aspxAnyone else have any experience with Wawa gasoline? I'm pretty pleased, quite honestly, and am surprised that it has such a bad rumor. My only frustration is dealing with all of these cars to get to the pump, but I love getting coupons with the receipts (when I remember to use them! )So, how long have you owned that WAWA gas station? In Columbus, OH Sunoco seems to be the "off brand".
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Wawa and its gasoline (jake75)

Post by jake75 »

I try to use only Top Tier gas. top [www.toptiergas.com]TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:USA 76 Stations Aloha Petroleum Chevron Conoco Country Mark Entec Stations Exxon Holiday Stationstores, Inc. Kwik Trip / Kwik Star MFA Oil Co. Mileage Stations Mobil Phillips 66 Quik Trip Rebel Oil Road Ranger Severson Oil Shell Texaco The Somerset Refinery, Inc. Tri-Par Oil Co. U.S. OilI filled up at a Mobil station tonight at 3.269.I think the prior time I looked Turkey Hill was on the list but no longer. Kroger must have started buying from a lower cost supplier.Sunoco Canada is on the list but not Sunoco USA.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Bastranz

Re: Wawa and its gasoline (jake75)

Post by Bastranz »

Quote, originally posted by jake75 »So, how long have you owned that WAWA gas station? In Columbus, OH Sunoco seems to be the "off brand".LOL yeah that did sound like a commercial, didn't it? Guess I better let Wawa know where they can send the commission check. Interesting about Sunoco being the "off brand" in Columbus. Out here, Sunocos are EVERYWHERE (I guess because the refinery is located in the area or something like that). Sadly many of the stations on the Top Tier list aren't common around here... Thanks for the link!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

I've always used a top name gas,the wife always uses WaWa, she never had a problem with it. Honestly cant remember anyone I know haven a problem
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
mass04

Post by mass04 »

got to be honest with anything running 87 I dont think it makes a difference. I'll fill anywhere convenient and reasonably priced.But to answer your question, I used to live in NJ and filled up at Wawa many times without any problems.
___________________________________________________GenVibe's PhysicistMy Vehicles:1997 Dodge Intrepid, white, 3.3L, 290k miles2009 Pontiac Vibe, steel blue, 2.4L, 30k miles
vibenvy

Re: (mass04)

Post by vibenvy »

We have gotten gas from Citgo for as long as I can remember and have never had any problems with it.When I read Wawa gas... my first thought was Walmart gas . Never heard of Wawa before. Must be an east coast thing?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Bastranz

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by Bastranz »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »We have gotten gas from Citgo for as long as I can remember and have never had any problems with it.When I read Wawa gas... my first thought was Walmart gas . Never heard of Wawa before. Must be an east coast thing?Oh dear...the day Walmart starts selling gas, lol! Wawa is actually a Southeastern PA/Southern New Jersey chain of convenience stores. They are similar to 7-11 (only 20 times better with made to order food) and is quite comparable to Sheetz (especially since they both have gas stations).
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Never heard of Wawa before. Must be an east coast thing?I've never heard of them either. Of course from here, Illinois is "east coast". Or at least, east.I have now switched to getting gas from the local Fred Meyer (part of Kroger I understand). I get 15 cents off a gallon after I spend $100 bucks at the store, which happens almost every month.Yesterday I paid $3.52/gal.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ponta2147

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Of course from here, Illinois is "east coast".Lol, I think the noise you just heard was millions of New Yorkers shuddering in horror at the thought of being compared to us in "flyover country". Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »Oh dear...the day Walmart starts selling gas, lol!Some Walmarts do sell gas (not surprised, as Sam's Club sells gas...)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Kari

Post by Kari »

IMO if it was full of water, you would know it immediately and there would be no question. LOL
GenVibe Global Moderator
vibenvy

Re: (Kari)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »Oh dear...the day Walmart starts selling gas, lol! Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Some Walmarts do sell gas (not surprised, as Sam's Club sells gas...)Yep, the Walmart we go to has a gas station right nearby. I believe it's called Murphy USA or something to that affect. I know Walmart sells gas cards, etc. for it.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The Murphy Oil station at Walmart about 1 mile from me has the side effect of keeping the prices low at the other area gas stations. I think Murphy Oil gives you 3 cents a gallon discount if you use a Walmart credit card. Looking at the shoppers there I doubt if many qualify for a credit card - they likely don't even have a Green Card. My cc rebates me 3% on gas anywhere which at 3.50/gal is 10.5 cents/gal discount.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

It is good practice to get a receipt for gas wherever you purchase it. IF there is a problem with the fuel, you'll need prove of purchase to get any help from the retailer.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
jake75

Re: (djkeev)

Post by jake75 »

Often the self-service machines seem to be not working or out of receipt paper - I never take the time to go inside to get a receipt. but I guess you'd still have your credit card statement.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »When I read Wawa gas... my first thought was Walmart gas . Never heard of Wawa before. Must be an east coast thing?I thought the exact same thing I simply figured that WAWA was a cheezy slang term for Wal Mart gas BP & Sunoco are the big ones around my area.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »I simply figured that WAWA was a cheezy slang term for Wal Mart gasAround here, Wawa is a slang term for Walmart, hence why I thought the OP was referring to Walmart gas .