Best solvent for molding tape?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Crabbycrab

Best solvent for molding tape?

Post by Crabbycrab »

So I got my rear, faded-to-pink, arrowhead off today and it was very easy. Heated with a hair-dryer, ran fishing line through the adhesive, and cleaned the gunk off with WD-40 and a plastic card.Emboldened, I endeavored to remove the Vent Shades the previous owner added because they were starting to come loose on the ends. Got the drivers' window shade off without a hitch with the hair-dryer and fishing line, but I can't for the life of me get the tape that held it on off.Is there a solvent that will not only remove the sticky, but also sort of dissolve the foamy stuff the tape is made of?
New and improved (png) signature.
Cougar Vibe

Re: Best solvent for molding tape? (Crabbycrab)

Post by Cougar Vibe »

"Goo Gone" is a handy product and is easy to find (Home Depot, Lowe's, ChinaMart, etc.).BTW: I finally removed my faded Pontiac emblem last weekend...just parked in the sun & used some Oral B dental floss. Cougar Vibe
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

As said already, Goo-Gone or an equivilent adhesive remover. BUT, it will not cut through the sponge. For that only patience and time will do... and perhaps a sore finger(s.)Roll off as much of the left over sponge tape as you can, then use the adhesive remover to penetrate through the backing and adhesive.BTW: Adhesive remover is safer on the paint than is WD-40.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
vibenvy

Re: Best solvent for molding tape? (06pvibe)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »BTW: Adhesive remover is safer on the paint than is WD-40.Hmmm... I have used WD40 on every car I've owned to remove badges, side moldings, etc. and it has never done anything to the paint. As a matter of fact, it's worked better at removing the adhesive than anything else I've tried. Just my $.02 though.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »As said already, Goo-Gone or an equivilent adhesive remover. +1
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Crabbycrab

Post by Crabbycrab »

Thank you for the advice.It seems like WD-40 has worked better for me in other applications than Goo-Gone, but for getting the sticky from the molding tape off, Goo-Gone was indeed superior.As 06pvibe sort of indicated, I found a solution of 1% adhesive remover to 99% elbow grease is still required to get the spongy off.
RWatters

Post by RWatters »

I had a hell of a time getting that crap off of mine but Goo Gone finally prevailed. It's good stuff!
'04 Vibe GT (Salsa Red) - Stock outside of an '03 Vibe GT ECU
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

If you think that was bad, you should have seen how much elbow grease it took to get the adhesive off my headlights when I removed the first set of burned out RockBlockers... and the "experts" told me, "A little bug and tar remover and it'll come right off." Sure it did!!
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yeah, I removed the side moldings on mine and my mom's Sunfire Sedans . You wanna talk about sore thumbs and fingers ...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

+1 more for Goo Gone!!!And best of all it smells like oranges!
Crabbycrab

Post by Crabbycrab »

Just for the record, and for anyone who may wonder about this and be reading this in the future, I discovered that there is a professional tool for this.I present the 3M Stripe Off Wheel:It's about $30, attaches to a drill, allegedly wipes out pin-stripes, decals and double sided foamy tape, and is (again, allegedly) safe for your paint job. My understanding is that it's still good to have a solvent on hand for clean up, and that a buffing is likely required after use.I'm sticking* with the slow manual removal, but I thought you might like to know this was also available.*no pun intended
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

WD-40 is also handy at removing spray paint from your car's paint job. Just in case you upset your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife or a wild vandal. I'm just saying LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
06pvibe

Re: Best solvent for molding tape? (keithvibe)

Post by 06pvibe »

That's exactly why I say it is not completely safe for modern multi-staged paint systems.Pros used WD-40 for years to remove unwanted pinstripes, etc, but it is made from and contains hydrocarbons (hence its Water Displacement, or WD capabilities) which are not exactly easy on base coat/clear coat paint systems... especially when water-based or reduced solvent paint systems are used.Yes, I have used it for this purpose as well like when I did the molding delete on my Mazda, but neutralized it as soon as I was done.I don't know why I didn't think of this before, I have seen those wheels and they are essentially a gum rubber based eraser used for unwanted pencil marks. So if doing the job by hand, go to your local office supply store and buy one of them for a buck and you could use it instead!
Crabbycrab

Post by Crabbycrab »

That's an excellent idea 06pvibe. However, I can say from very recent experience that those gum erasers will not remove double side sticky foam... nor will Pink Pearls, nor Staedtler white drafting erasers.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Hmmm? Well then perhaps it's a combination of the rubber and the heat built up by the spinning action that does it? I don't know, just a guess. I'll have to try it on my next project... which I hope will be a long time from now.
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I've been using isopropyl alcohol 90% for 30+ years on just about everything.Since I worked on office machines it cleaned just about anything in the machine or on the cabinet. I didn't need to carry multiple products. One bottle did it all. Before that I used pure lemon extract because of the high alcohol content.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out