What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
LarryKingsShoes

Post by LarryKingsShoes »

I installed my Kenwood KIV-700 last night. It made such a tremendous difference in sound quality, even with the crumby factory speakers. It also looks really nice on the dash. Unfortunately, the Zune support isn't that great. It takes several minutes to read the device, I can't shuffle all of the tracks (biggest disappointment), and it doesn't seem to want to find all of my content. I'm still happy with the unit, though. I bought it mainly for the Zune support but it does have a load of other nice features. I'll just have to get the old iPod out and refresh the music on it and keep that in the glove box. I can always go back to just using the Zune HD into the aux device, I'll just lose the cool perks like track info being displayed on the LCD and being able to control it with the receiver.My Polk Audio speakers will be here on Tuesday so I'll probably set those up on Wednesday. I'm going to install my amp/sub tomorrow. :DToday one of my headlights went out so I replaced it with a Sylvania bulb. It was the cheapest bulb available at Walmart. It'll get the job done until I decide what route I want to go with the headlights. Those HIR light bulbs are quite appealing.
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
TONY TAT2

Re: (LarryKingsShoes)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Just put air in the l/f tire again,been losen about 6lbs a week for months now,just kant find the time to get it fixed. What ever it was it went in & then came out. I havent seen anything in the tire itself,like a screw or nail or chunk of glass.I checked the valve stem,core & the seat also.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Time for some soapy water and a spray bottle.*Hint* Pumping the tire up to 50-55 psi will make the leak easier to find.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
vibenvy

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by vibenvy »

Last night I took my Vibe to the car wash and hand washed it, then brought it home and dried it off and detailed the interior.This morning I did the same with my mom's. This is the first time either of them have been cleaned in quite some time .Tomorrow my mom's goes into the body shop to get the cat damage fixed and she will be driving mine until it's finished. Man am I going to miss my baby this week .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
LarryKingsShoes

My brother and I tried installing my subwoofer today. We were about to hook it all up to the battery when the fuse slipped out of my hands broke on the ground. Of course, given my horrible luck, Walmart does not carry that particular fuse (AGU60A). I ordered a pack of them on Amazon so they should be here on Tuesday. Until then, I'm going to look at Ace Hardware and Radioshack for one to use. I doubt that they'll have any, though.I did a Google search for the fuse type and most of the results were from car audio sites and often mentioned DB Link (the manufacturer of the wiring kit that I'm using). Perhaps it's one of those uncommon fuses that are hard to find in brick & mortar shops.We also started to cut off the dangling bolt on my license plate mount. The cutting wheel broke before we could get it off so I'm going to grab a new pack at Ace tomorrow morning so we can finish that up. I'm also going to ask about what size of bits would be needed to drill out the other stuck bolt. It will definitely be nice to finally get the plate mounted!It was a good day for the Vibe, I must say! Aside from the problems we ran into, we got quite a bit done. I'll finish up the license plate tomorrow and put my interior back together. After that, I'm helping him wire his subwoofer. That should take my mind off of having to wait until Tuesday for the fuse so I can complete my install.I've got a few things on my to-do list that I want to take care of while I'm on spring break. It's going to be a lot of fun!---I was just going through our storage room looking for my remote for the Kicker ZX750.1 that I'm using to power my subwoofer and I stumbled upon a nice little surprise. In addition to the remote and mount, I found some of my old sheets of Dynamat Extreme! There are two full sheets (18" x 32", I presume -- I haven't measured them but I think they're from my trunk kit) and one that's about half used. I thought my older brother took those so it was neat to find them just sitting there. I plan on putting them in my door panels when I install my new speakers (Polk Audio db651s for front and rear). I'm not sure how much it will take for the four doors but I'm going to save some for the sub in the back. Hopefully I can stretch out my resources and still get decent results.I've been looking at sound dampening a lot recently so this is very exciting! I plan on removing the interior and applying a few coats of Second Skin Spectrum Sludge to whatever surfaces I can access but that is going to have to wait until Summer rolls around. I'm just glad to be able to get some deadening without having to spend money right now.
Kenwood KIV-700 - Image Dynamics CTX65CS (Front) - Polk Audio db651s (Rear) - Alphasonik PMA640HCA - Kicker ZX750.1 - RE Audio SE Series 12" Subwoofer
BLargal

Post by BLargal »

Well I went a bit crazy today, considering I had 2 hours of sleep then went to work, after work I took my car to the manual car wash and washed it, applied descratcher stuff which i'm not sure how well it worked, waxed it, dried it, washed it, dried it again, waxed again, washed again took me four hours to do...forgot my lighter so I went the whole time without a cig lol. Did it all by hand to and it was 33 deg outside :D. I'll have to take a look at it today when it gets light out and see how well it all turned out.
LarryKingsShoes

Dang! I hope it turned out well for you. After putting in that much effort, I'm sure that your car looks quite slick. That takes some serious devotion. It was pretty cold here today, too. I think it was about 25 degrees throughout most of the afternoon and evening. Luckily, the forecast predicts some warmer days ahead for us. Tomorrow should be about 45 degrees and it'll be close to 60 by Wednesday. That's when I plan on doing a thorough cleaning.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

replaced my cabin air filter today. i think might have still been on the original. old one was a wreck! if anyone plans on replacing theirs soon i got a 5% off coupon code for freshcabinair.com, not much but why not use it if you need the part anyway. code is fresh55off
Guitarheroal

Post by Guitarheroal »

got new tires then took a road trip to vegas over the weekend! got 33 mpg on one tank of gas. I am thoroughly impressed!
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

I went looking for Altezza tails for our Vibe today. RANT ON. RANT OFF.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »I went looking for Altezza tails for our Vibe today. RANT ON. RANT OFF. LOL
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

'Guess you saw the most recent ****-**** in the Altezza thread too, huh?Only someone who did should have gotten that post and the joke that goes with it.Will they PLEASE just let it die!!??
BLargal

Post by BLargal »

Actually no it didn't turn out to well i'm afraid. Looks worse then it did before actually! So yea....anyway I have a friend who i'm going to pay who will do a good job and knows what she is doing because she used to do detailing as a job so she is going to take care of it on Wed, minus the hood because the paint is still "curing" on there. To bad I waxed it once already forgetting it was a new paint job on the hood...yea...hope I didn't screw anything up *sighs*
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »'Guess you saw the most recent ****-**** in the Altezza thread too, huh?Only someone who did should have gotten that post and the joke that goes with it.Will they PLEASE just let it die!!?? Yep.. sure did!My Vibe already has them I guess.. the altezza lights are the clear lights right?.. Too bad too.. because I much prefer the rear lights on the older gen Vibes..
tpollauf

Re: (09vGT)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »My Vibe already has them I guess.. the altezza lights are the clear lights Yep, our 09-10's already have them That is about the only thing I don't like on the 3rd gen Vibes Quote » I much prefer the rear lights on the older gen Vibes..
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Crabbycrab

Post by Crabbycrab »

Oh yeah! I installed new fog light assemblies this evening. They've been dead since I bought CrabbyVibe in December.Turns out the old ones were not only cracked, but moisture had gotten in there and fouled the reflective coating and rusted everything it could. It was a mess.I also cut protectors from 0.2" Makrolon (polycarb), but the 3M Dual Lock Velcro I got didn't seem like it wanted to hold very well. Anyone know what kind of fasteners ToolGuy used to use?
New and improved (png) signature.
vibenvy

Re: (Crabbycrab)

Post by vibenvy »

Dropped my mom's Vibe off at the body shop this morning . I am anxiously awaiting it being done so I can have my Vibe back. I am having XM and sunroof withdrawals driving my dad's s10 .
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Put on about 1,000 miles over the past 3 days and another 1,000 to go over the next 2.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
09vGT

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Dropped my mom's Vibe off at the body shop this morning . I am anxiously awaiting it being done so I can have my Vibe back. I am having XM and sunroof withdrawals driving my dad's s10 .I thought maybe I was the only one who had XM withdrawals when not driving my car.. LOL Glad to see someone else does too!
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Finally got my leds done. Took some experimenting with different set ups to get it right. Cig lighter ring and 115v switch are red now. Not to mention the dash is finally where it all belongs again! I'm sure it won't be long till I start trying to mess with the shifter piece now.
star_deceiver

Re: (silverbullet)

Post by star_deceiver »

Did the usual commute toand from work... but I may be getting the summer tires/rims tomorrow.... which means I may actually have to wash my car....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
LarryKingsShoes

Was swapping out the green LEDs a difficult task? It sounds like something I'd like to do at some point since the green accents kind of clash with the red interior scheme.Today I hooked up my antenna adapter, ran my auxiliary cable from the back of the deck to the glove box, and tried hooking up my Street Glow ANMI2 Music Interface. Everything went pretty smoothly except that there's something up with the LED controller. It only turns on once in a while. I didn't have any LED strips to test the music triggering but my brother has a small strip of white LEDs I'm going to hook up until I buy my own.Tomorrow is the day that I can finally finish my subwoofer installation. I'll also have my speakers to put into the doors. :D I plan on rewiring my LED controller, finishing up my subwoofer install, hooking up my new speakers, putting some of my Dynamat in my doors, and finally getting my interior put back together and cleaned up a bit.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Not too bad. If your interested I should have extra leds from the project. The cig ring was easy, replaced the bulb with red led, had to be soldered into the original pins. Then cut the posotive wire and installed resistor in line. The button was a little trickier. Could not get a bulb bright enough so I ended up opening up the case and taking an led with a narrow viewing angle, meaning the light is focused, and pointed it directly at the face of the button. Resistor for that went in with the bulb. Now that I've done it once it would be easy to do it again. If I end up at the hell meet I can bring the stuff to do it. I've been waiting for a date to be set.
LarryKingsShoes

Nice! If you ever get a chance to take pictures of it at night, that'd be cool to see. I'd definitely like to have it done to my car at some point. I bet it makes the whole dash look great.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

yea ill get pictures up at some point. probably within a few days. i did the auto driver switch a couple weeks ago too. so all the green is gone. but if you plan on making it to that meet we could do it. or let me know when/ if you want to tackle it on your own since i have the stuff, and i can go into a little more detail on how i did mine if needed.
LarryKingsShoes

That would be cool. I appreciate your willingness to help out!I don't know the details of the meet but if it ends up being nearby enough I'd certainly consider joining the fun. I'll check the regional subforum and look into it! Otherwise, I'll just get the stuff I need and do it at home.Is there a particular LED or resistor that's needed?
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

I should have extras of the leds and resistors I used. I would be willing to send them your way since I have no other use for them anyhow. You would need soldering iron, heat shrink, lighter, wire stripper, small flathead screw drivers, and plyers. I have no idea what dates are being considered but the talk seems of the meet being in hell michigan. O and a solder sucker to get the cig lighter bulb out
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

That took some guts imo, SB. I had two years of electronics way back in HS, so I know how to solder correctly, but some of those tiny spaces and the patience it must take would likely be my undoing at this time in my life. Congrats on the install. Looking forward to pics.Richard.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

i tried taking pics last night. but the lights are not visible at all. not sure if a better camera could help or not? but it actually was not as bad as you might think, the parts all came out of the center dash and i was able to disassemble them down to the bulbs. hardest part was the leds, this being my first using them i did not know how bright to expect them to be. started with some from radioshack, not even visible. realized they were 1.5 mcd, that's how the brightness is rated. looked on ebay and tried 8000, 15,000 and 30,000 to get it to work. but i will say that the radioshack ones worked fine for the auto window switch. and no resistor needed there since it replaced another led on the board.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

The Hot Wheels are back on!!!! Woohoo!!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tpollauf

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »The Hot Wheels are back on!!!! Woohoo!!!I don't know It may be a bit early as we still get some "end of winter" snow storms I'm tempted to put my 18's back on this weekend where we're going to be in the 60's & warm ... BUT I know we're not quite done with winter yet Two more weeks and I'll consider it

BlueCrush

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by BlueCrush »

I'm done with winter.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
KITT222

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by KITT222 »

Yay, melting snow! And I can see over the snowbanks so I won't end up smashing into someone while turning! It's so nice up here now! My sun roof doesn't tilt open enough for it! Minnesota springs are so nice...Meanwhile, I got lost with Vib on my way from my school to Valleyfair, where I have a job interview tomorrow. I ended up on the other side of Shakopee, and I got on the 13 on the east side of 35-W. If you aren't from Minnesota, I traveled so far down this freeway, it was no longer a freeway anymore. At one point, I was just looking for exits. I ended up doing a U-turn at a light. Then I took ANOTHER wrong turn, and ended up on the other side of the Mi______ river by Bloomington. Me=not happy. Although it was good time to bond with Vib. I enjoyed the drive, overall.Then Tuesday my dad and I took her with us to the Auto Show. She's gotten some good highway time these two days! Edit: And... my 222 post! My post count matches my username!!
jkm311

Re: (KITT222)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I'm done with winter. Amen, Brian. You and I swapped off the steelies on the very same day. New sig reflects the new shoes.
Steelies to the rescue.
KITT222

Re: (jkm311)

Post by KITT222 »

It was warm, I was bored after my job interview, so I remembered I had some decals I was going to put on when the weather warmed up! So now, i have my genvibe.com decals on, my Skywarn decal, my rear arrowhead overlay (the whole badge will make its way to the b-pillar eventually) and the Vibe third brake light overlay. Happy day! I also 'stored' my snow brush in the small compartment, held down with a bungee cord so it doesn't move about. I'm with BlueCrush, I'm done. It's been hard enough on us up here as it was. Now if snow comes, the pure angst of Minnesotans will melt it before it accumulates!
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Well after a few green beers I fanally noticed the great weather and washed and clay barred the vibe. Ran out of daylight tho so the last half was in limited light, hopefully I did good. And ill spray it off tomorrow if necessary before I do a real wax job on it. I was so close to putting the wheels back on too but I'm sure well get a couple more fluke storms. Hopefully within a couple weeks. Ps if anyone has not tried clay yet please do. Its crazy that after I cleaned it I was still pulling dirt off that I never would have known was there. took off some of the bigger brake dust rust stuff on the body and helped with some hard water sprinkler stains on one side.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Picked up my mom's Vibe from the body shop today and then filled it up with gas. Her Vibe looks great and gas went down eight cents! It's been a good St. Patrick's day!Quote, originally posted by silverbullet »Well after a few green beers I fanally noticed the great weather and washed and clay barred the vibe. Ran out of daylight tho so the last half was in limited light, hopefully I did good. And ill spray it off tomorrow if necessary before I do a real wax job on it. I was so close to putting the wheels back on too but I'm sure well get a couple more fluke storms. Hopefully within a couple weeks. Ps if anyone has not tried clay yet please do. Its crazy that after I cleaned it I was still pulling dirt off that I never would have known was there. took off some of the bigger brake dust rust stuff on the body and helped with some hard water sprinkler stains on one side.I am hoping to put our 18s back on by the first or second week of April. I want to hold off just in case . x2 on the clay . I will be claying both Vibes within the next few weeks to get all the winter crap off of them and get them looking good for spring.
tpollauf

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by tpollauf »

OK .... This warm weather (70 here in T-town today ) has me catching a serious mod bug Ordered me a pair of headlight assemblies for the Vibe Looked at both GMPartsDirect.com and GMPartsCenter.net The HUGE difference between the two was shipping costs. PartsCenter was FREE whereas PartsDirect was $75.62 The cost of the parts was the opposite though Overall, saved only $15 going the route I did with the free shipping. As if I didn't have enough to do in my life, now I've got another mod planned up my sleeve. This is what we live for

BlueCrush

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by BlueCrush »

Having the rear differential fluid changed this morning. First time EVER and I'm at 69,000 miles. Never had an issue with my AWD. It has always worked flawlessly. :knocks on wood: Thankfully. But is is overdue to be changed...lol.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
LarryKingsShoes

I finally got around to cleaning my MAF sensor. I'm certainly glad that I did. My fuel economy seems to have gone up a little bit and my RPM at idle dropped a fair amount. It was definitely worth the $7 investment and 10 minutes it took to do it.I bought a California Duster at Walmart today since I can't seem to keep the car clean. I also saw a Thule roof cargo bag on sale at Target today. It was marked down to $18. I was quite tempted but ended up skipping it. I figured that I don't really have a use for it right now and that it would be worth doing some more research before jumping into buying one. Some of the Amazon reviews for the Thule bags were quite negative. It seems that quite a few people complain about it falling apart. It was still difficult to pass up. It seemed like it'd be nice to have for those times that I could end up using it. There's something about having roof racks that makes me feel like I need to find a use for them.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

'nuff said

Attached files
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Changed the oil on the Vibe and fixed a giant coolant leak on my wife's Camry.edit: Tried to fix a giant coolant leak on my wife's Camry.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
LarryKingsShoes

It's raining here so I pulled the Vibe into the garage and replaced my old wipers with my new Rain X Latitudes. They work much better than the set that was on previously, which were starting to fall apart. I do need to use some of my Invisible Glass window cleaner on the inside, though. I didn't realize until today just how dirty it had gotten.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Now that you mention it, I looked at mine and it's pretty darn gross!How does that happen????
RWatters

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by RWatters »

I gave the Vibe a new rear wiper today and Rain-X'd both the front and rear windows. Visibility is muuuuuuch better now when driving in the rain.
'04 Vibe GT (Salsa Red) - Stock outside of an '03 Vibe GT ECU
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Let me know how those blades work out for you. I only got a year, and not a full year before they started acting up, out of mine.I am replacing the Lattitudes on my Mazda and I wasn't too happy with them. I'm going back to the Trico NeoForms like I had before. Those suckers worked very well, looked good, were the quietest blade I had ever used and lasted 2-1/2yrs before needing to be replaced... which I did w/the Rain-X blades... and for a few dollars more too.From day-one, I didn't like the way the Rain-X blades looked when mounted. Their mount is much higher and uglier than it needs to be, imo. I like the new sig, Brandon... better than the old one, I think?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Gave the Vibe a quickie wash & megs natural shine on the interior. I guess you can say im "prepping" for the Refinish Restorer that should be arriving this week. Really exited on having "like new" cladding !!! Yay !!! Faded cladding is such a eyesore when the rest of the car is sparkling....LOL
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Cleaned inside and out
knightrace

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today? (bodhi_tree777)

Post by knightrace »

Finally installed the Hella Supertone horns. Love the new sound.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
LarryKingsShoes

I really like the Rain X Latitudes so far, but I've only been using them lightly for a day. We'll see how well they hold up over the months. Hopefully I can get at least a year out of them. I'm pretty excited to drive through heavier rain so I can see how well they perform. The rain today was pretty light so it's tough to gauge how well they function. They did a great job wiping away the washer fluid, though!I'll try the Trico NeoForms after these start going out. I don't mind the looks of the Rain X blades but if the Trico set lasts that much longer, it'd certainly be worth giving them a shot.