Cat vs. Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vibenvy

Cat vs. Vibe

Post by vibenvy »

My mom was on her way to some meetings this morning. She was driving through the country and had some idiot riding her tail. All of a sudden she saw a huge tomcat running full speed out of the field on the side of the road. Before she had time to react, she hit it. She felt really bad and was really upset because she saw something go flying and she thought it was the cat's head, unfortunately for her Vibe, it turns out it wasn't the cat's head...

it was her fog light, including the SilverStar bulb :(. The damage seems limited to the missing fog light, fog light bulb and black insert. The plug for the fog light was partially broken, but the wires are intact. One of the retainers for the front driver's side wheel well liner is gone and the part of the bumper cover that attaches to the fender was popped out, but I popped it back in and it seems nice and tight now. Needless to say my mom is pretty bummed right now. I will be driving it to work tomorrow and then heading to the insurance company after work to see what they have to say. I could replace the fog light, etc., but we want to make sure that the frame, suspension, etc. is fine. Everything underneath looks okay, but you never know. Better safe than sorry. She said it was a huge cat, so I'm really surprised the damage wasn't way worse :|.
Last edited by vibenvy on Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
epcIII

Re: Cat vs. Vibe (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by epcIII »

While it's sad that the cat was killed, I'm glad to hear your mom didn't swerve off the road or anything and was OK. Fog lights can be replaced, not moms.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Sorry to hear, Carrie. I bet your mom was freaked out. Too bad for the cat and the light. Hope there's no hidden damage.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Damage could have been far worse for sure. Easy to tear a bumper cover or have the large cat or any other type of animal bump up the hood or windshield. It's tough to out think where a any animal is going to dart next. No one other than the unfortunate cat was hurt, so it turned out as good as it could. That fog lamp might be expensive.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibenvy

Re: Cat vs. Vibe (vibolista)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by epcIII »While it's sad that the cat was killed, I'm glad to hear your mom didn't swerve off the road or anything and was OK. Fog lights can be replaced, not moms.That's exactly what I told her. We're animal lovers so we get pretty upset if we hit and kill something.Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Sorry to hear, Carrie. I bet your mom was freaked out. Too bad for the cat and the light. Hope there's no hidden damage.Thanks Brian. She was pretty freaked out. She drove down the road a ways, then pulled over to calm down for a few minutes before continuing her trip.Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Damage could have been far worse for sure. Easy to tear a bumper cover or have the large cat or any other type of animal bump up the hood or windshield. It's tough to out think where a any animal is going to dart next. No one other than the unfortunate cat was hurt, so it turned out as good as it could. That fog lamp might be expensive.Yeah, I was really surprised the damage wasn't worse, or at least it appears to only be a flesh wound . That's exactly what I told her. It's sad that the cat got killed, but it could have been much worse had she swerved or something. She's fine, no other people were injured, the Vibe appears to only have flesh wounds, etc. According to GM Parts Direct, the MSRP for the fog light is $96.25 and the MSRP for the outer grille is $10.44. Fortunately it should be covered under comprehensive which would mean a $100.00 deductible, so that won't be too bad. I'll be sure to post tomorrow after I go to the insurance company and probably body shop.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

glad to see the car came out with only minor damage. back in high school, something very similar happened to me, except that the thing that went flying was indeed the head. that was back when i was driving a suzuki samauri, which had metal bumpers, so no damage at all. the worst part was that, about a week later, a guy i knew said that his cat that he let run loose had stopped coming home. i said nothing...
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
DressedInBlack

Post by DressedInBlack »

Carrie's mom +1, poisonous samurai assassin cat -1.
http://
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Avoid the insurance claim if at all possible. Some out-of-pocket now will save you 100's in premiums for years.
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »The damage seems limited to the missing fog light, fog light bulb and black insertI agree with the "no insurance claim" on this one. When we get together next month at Buse park for a Chicago mini-meet, I'll donate my drivers side "black insert" fake side scoop thing-a magig Both of mine are coming out to make room for an awesome future mod So I won't need them. There's even the slight chance that I could have this mod done before the meet As far as the fog light assembly goes, you're on your own for that item. Good luck
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Re: Cat vs. Vibe (tpollauf)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Zimm »glad to see the car came out with only minor damage. back in high school, something very similar happened to me, except that the thing that went flying was indeed the head. that was back when i was driving a suzuki samauri, which had metal bumpers, so no damage at all. the worst part was that, about a week later, a guy i knew said that his cat that he let run loose had stopped coming home. i said nothing...That's funny and yet... not funny .Quote, originally posted by DressedInBlack »Carrie's mom +1, poisonous samurai assassin cat -1.(removed) Geoff!Quote, originally posted by Water boy »Avoid the insurance claim if at all possible. Some out-of-pocket now will save you 100's in premiums for years.Unfortunately we pretty much have to claim it because it needs a new front bumper cover in addition to the fog light, etc. Our last claim was last April for my wheel and tire and our premiums haven't been effected.Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »I agree with the "no insurance claim" on this one. When we get together next month at Buse park for a Chicago mini-meet, I'll donate my drivers side "black insert" fake side scoop thing-a magig Both of mine are coming out to make room for an awesome future mod So I won't need them. There's even the slight chance that I could have this mod done before the meet As far as the fog light assembly goes, you're on your own for that item. Good luck Thanks for the offer of your "black insert fake side scoop thing-a-magig" but it will all be getting replaced by insurance.*UPDATE* I took it to the body shop today. Turns out there's a pretty nasty crack on the underside of the front bumper cover, so that will be replaced along with the fog light, fog light bulb, fog light harness and outer grille. The owner of the body shop took pictures and notes and is going to have a written estimate ready for me to pick up tomorrow after work. He said he's really surprised it didn't cause more damage than it did.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Brand new GM front bumper cover (#88975666) = $350.18Brand new GM front arrowhead badge (#19204396) = $25.63Brand new GM outer grille (#88975668) = $10.44Recycled (used) fog light housing = $75.00Paint/materials = $115.20Labor = 6.8 hours @ $54.00 per hour = $367.20Tax @ 6.250% = $7.20TOTAL ESTIMATE: $1007.57Customer responsibility = $0.00It's going in Monday and should be done by Wednesday or Thursday. The awesome part is, because they will be installing a brand new bumper cover, it shouldn't have holes for a front license plate. I told the owner of the body shop to not drill the holes for a license plate which he said was fine. I also had forgotten to tell him about the SilverStar fog light bulb yesterday, so he added that to the estimate and will get one at Auto Zone and install it.Now for the amusing part of my conversation with the owner today:I was telling him about the SilverStar fog light bulb. He said he would add it to the estimate. He said, "Why should you guys have to pay for it?" He then asked me what kind of bulb it was so he could go pick one up at Auto Zone. I proceeded to tell him it was a 9145 Sylvania SilverStar bulb. He then said, "You know... I've noticed something about you the past couple days... you know a lot about cars!" To which I replied, "Not so much cars in general, moreso just Vibes." He then said, "You definitely know more about cars then the average person!" Of course I credited GV for most of my (useless to most) Vibe knowledge. We then stood around talking for a while. He remembered my wheel and tire incident from last April and blah blah blah. I feel very confident in this shop that the Vibe will look as good as new. The best part is everything will have a lifetime warranty, so if anything does go wrong with the paintjob or anything, they will take care of it at no charge.I will get a couple more pictures of the damage this weekend and of course will post pictures when it's finished.The only sad part of this situation is that my mom will be driving my Vibe and I will be driving either our Sunbird or my dad's S10 next week . I will miss my Vibe, but we have an extra vehicle so there's no need to mess with getting a loaner, even though we have coverage for it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY » "You definitely know more about cars then the average person!" Of course I credited GV for most of my (useless to most) Vibe knowledge.You go girl Ahh the sounds of success when others recognize that you are not just another pretty face, but a PERSON with knowledge in the field of their business This is AWESOME for your self esteem, encourages you to learn even MORE about cars (Vibe specific) so you can further blow their mind in future visits, and you know they will do one hell of a job because you are a respected, educated customer. Pretty sick that a small critter could do this much damage to your mom's ride. Yet the photos seem like their is very little damage at all. Keep us posted on the repairs and enjoy your next few days driving WITHOUT your vibe

vibenvy

Re: Cat vs. Vibe (tpollauf)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »You go girl Ahh the sounds of success when others recognize that you are not just another pretty face, but a PERSON with knowledge in the field of their business This is AWESOME for your self esteem, encourages you to learn even MORE about cars (Vibe specific) so you can further blow their mind in future visits, and you know they will do one hell of a job because you are a respected, educated customer. Pretty sick that a small critter could do this much damage to your mom's ride. Yet the photos seem like their is very little damage at all. Keep us posted on the repairs and enjoy your next few days driving WITHOUT your vibe LOL! Thanks Tim . His positive comments definitely made my day, heck my week! According to my mom, the cat was definitely not very small, so I am actually surprised it didn't do more damage then it did. I need to get a couple more pictures this weekend of the crack in the underside of the bumper cover, the missing wheel well liner retainer, the fog light plug, etc. It's not bad at all though. I will definitely keep this thread going with updates and some more pictures.I will most certainly NOT enjoy driving without my Vibe next week . On a side note, my dad just got home and we were discussing who will be driving what next week... looks like I will be driving my dad's S10 . I hate driving his S10 and the Sunbird because I feel like a sardine compared to the Vibes . Oh well, it will be worth it when my mom's Vibe is as good as new.
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Glad she's OK and it wasn't worse (the dummy who was riding her tail) Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY » We then stood around talking for a while. He remembered my wheel and tire incident from last April and blah blah blah. I hope he asked you out after all that LOL Hope it gets fixed ASAP
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I just love the added bonus of getting rid of the front holes! Not that I would EVER want to be in an accident, but sometimes after looking at all the pockmarked "character marks" all over the front of my Vibe...
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

Meeowch.The important thing is mom's ok, Carrie At least now, there's a spot for a cai...
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
vibenvy

Re: (ramenboy...)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Glad she's OK and it wasn't worse (the dummy who was riding her tail) I hope he asked you out after all that LOL Hope it gets fixed ASAPYeah, that's exactly what I told her. She also said it could have been a lot worse had the idiot went to pass and they hit the cat. The cat could have come flying up at the windshield or something .LOL! No, he didn't. He's married and is at least twice my age. I like older guys, but that's a little too much for me .It should be as good as new by this time next week !Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »I just love the added bonus of getting rid of the front holes! Not that I would EVER want to be in an accident, but sometimes after looking at all the pockmarked "character marks" all over the front of my Vibe...I know! I was so excited when I heard she was getting a brand new GM front bumper cover! I told her I was jealous . When her Vibe is all done and I go to pick it up, I am going to ask the owner for an approximate estimate for getting a brand new bumper cover for mine. Just out of curiousity of course ...Quote, originally posted by ramenboy... »Meeowch.The important thing is mom's ok, Carrie At least now, there's a spot for a cai...LOL! Yes, that is definitely the most important thing, although she is pretty bummed at the thought of being without her Vibe for a few days .I told her she didn't need two fog lights. I told her I would get some dryer vent tubing and just make a killer CAI setup !I added three more pictures of the damage to the original post. Tonight I am going to take it to the car wash and give it a hand wash and get it all cleaned up to go to the body shop Monday morning. I also need to get mine cleaned up because it's disgusting and I would feel bad letting my mom drive it when it's so dirty .
ponta2147

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »I know! I was so excited when I heard she was getting a brand new GM front bumper cover! I told her I was jealous . When her Vibe is all done and I go to pick it up, I am going to ask the owner for an approximate estimate for getting a brand new bumper cover for mine. Just out of curiousity of course ...Are you considering pricing out the 3M stick-on plastic covering to help protect that brand new paint? That's the one thing I regret not doing for mine because the whole bottom front is chipped to hell.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Are you considering pricing out the 3M stick-on plastic covering to help protect that brand new paint? That's the one thing I regret not doing for mine because the whole bottom front is chipped to hell.I had considered it, but then I thought if I was going to spend the money on a clear bra, I would want it on the hood, mirrors, etc. so it wouldn't really be worth it to just get it on the front bumper cover. I am hoping since it will now be a non-factory paintjob on the front bumper cover, hopefully it won't chip and all. Her front bumper cover actually has a very minimal amount of chips and other marks. Mine, however, is a different story . Hence why I am going to ask about just getting a whole new cover for mine.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Picked it up from the body shop a few hours ago and since it was all nice and clean, I figured I'd take a few pictures...It looks absolutely amazing :cool:! Best of all... NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLES!!! (my Vibe is so jealous :P).

Last edited by vibenvy on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Looking good Soon you'll get the 18's back on and it will REALLY look good Have mom watch out for those critters of nature. They can be destructive

808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

Yay!! Out of the hospital and looking amazing again All of us will be traumatized when we see them running in the road now. I saw one yesterday, it stopped in the middle of the road, an SUV was coming from the opposite end, it turned around, then changed it's mind-it was he77bent on crossing and was on my side again. I was like oh like he77 you don't you dumb (beep!) it went back again and it ran across after both of us cars crossed. Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »LOL! No, he didn't. He's married and is at least twice my age. I like older guys, but that's a little too much for me . Shucks. Older guys are yummy
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
vibenvy

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »Looking good Soon you'll get the 18's back on and it will REALLY look good Have mom watch out for those critters of nature. They can be destructive Thanks Tim! She was so happy when she saw it parked outside the body shop all nice and clean and shiny . I am dying to put the 18s back on, but am going to hold off until the first week of April.Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Yay!! Out of the hospital and looking amazing again Shucks. Older guys are yummy Thanks! Older guys are indeed yummy !