2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Kamloops

2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed

Post by Kamloops »

i have a 2003 Vibe and my Buddy has a 2003 Matrix XR.His 5speed tranny died and I suggested he replace it with a 6 speed. The 6 speeds are easier to get used and they do not suffer the problems the 5speeds did.The swap went without a hitch, did not have to change a thing just bolted right in, only thing he needs is the 6speed shifter knob, but the 5 speed on is fine. He loves it! Big improvement he said. Car has way more pep.I am sure if it can be done in a Matrix it would be the same for a vibe, in fact the tranny he put in was from a Vibe
joatmon

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (Kamloops)

Post by joatmon »

for me the big functional difference between the 5 and 6 speeds is the gear ratios. 6th gear in a 6 speed is 0.73 overdrive, and 5th in a 5 speed is also 0.73 overdrive, but the final drive ratio in the 6 speed is 4.53 in the 5 speed it's 3.94. This means in top gear at highway speeds, the engine with the 6 speed has to turn 4.53/3.94=1.18 times faster than the engine with the 5 speed. His cruising MPGs will probably go down a little, but since 1st gear is also the same between the two, he'll probably feel a little more torque on take off.I have a later year corolla 5 speed in my 03 Vibe , seems to be holding up wellThat's good to know for sure that the 6 speed is a direct bolt up. Too bad you didn't have any pictures, our how to change a tranny thread ysed to have some, but the guy who posted the how to must have deleted the pictures from whatever external host they used to be on.
SRQ Sid

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (joatmon)

Post by SRQ Sid »

Hello all...I am a newby and looking for info prior to buying a Vibe. I am a little confused by this topic.Let's see: he has the same engine, a new transmission with the same ratios in 1st and top gear (.73 OD), and the same rear end ratio (3.94) that he started with.How could the performance or mileage be changed?Am I missing something?Great site, thanks to all.
star_deceiver

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (SRQ Sid)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon » the final drive ratio in the 6 speed is 4.53 in the 5 speed it's 3.94. This means in top gear at highway speeds, the engine with the 6 speed has to turn 4.53/3.94=1.18 times faster than the engine with the 5 speed. More wheel torque with the 6 speed as they don't have the same final drive. His cruising rpm will also be higher.Welcome to GenVibe, BTW!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
SRQ Sid

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (star_deceiver)

Post by SRQ Sid »

I realize now that I was thinking of the final drive as a separate unit that would remain in the vehicle as if it was RWD. It is now obvious that the tranny and final drive are together so the new transmission has the new ratio also. Wicked cool!I have been lurking here for about 2 days, one of which was needed for just the clutch issue thread! Ha ha.OTOH, I have learned much and I enjoy the group's insights (and pictures!)Thanks joatmon for clearing things up.
SRQ Sid

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (SRQ Sid)

Post by SRQ Sid »

Oops. Thanks to you also star_deceiver.
TONY TAT2

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (star_deceiver)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

How would tire diameter affect the final drive ?
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
Baltovibe

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (joatmon)

Post by Baltovibe »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »Too bad you didn't have any pictures, our how to change a tranny thread ysed to have some, but the guy who posted the how to must have deleted the pictures from whatever external host they used to be on.If that tranny thread is http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=21943, then the pictures are still there. Because the external image host does not allow direct linking from a foreign site, you can right-click on the dead image and select view image. The image will appear.Also, it has been reposted at http://wehavescissors.blogspot....html
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Kamloops - Do you know if the flywheel was the same from the 5 speed to the 6 speed?
2003 base model
VibeMaugh

Post by VibeMaugh »

First timer... great finding this discussion as my 03 VibeMo's 5 speed tranny is pooping out. My bro will help me switch out tranny's if I can research what all needs to be done to convert my base Vibe to a 6 spd. I don't want to do this again... 103K easy miles!I'm seeing the clutch may need to be changed to a 6-sp compatible (all the parts?), but what about the shift cables, lines, axles, cylinders, etc? Are they compatible or do I need to buy new (GT/XRS) ones? I find it hard to believe I may not get as high of mileage... I like my high 30's/low 40's (but like less changing transmissions).Much thanks in advance. I can't afford another car this soon.
mntn-biker

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed (VibeMaugh)

Post by mntn-biker »

Quote, originally posted by VibeMaugh »First timer... great finding this discussion as my 03 VibeMo's 5 speed tranny is pooping out. My bro will help me switch out tranny's if I can research what all needs to be done to convert my base Vibe to a 6 spd. I don't want to do this again... 103K easy miles!I'm seeing the clutch may need to be changed to a 6-sp compatible (all the parts?), but what about the shift cables, lines, axles, cylinders, etc? Are they compatible or do I need to buy new (GT/XRS) ones? I find it hard to believe I may not get as high of mileage... I like my high 30's/low 40's (but like less changing transmissions).Much thanks in advance. I can't afford another car this soon.The 6 speeds will swap in from I believe:03-08 Vibe03-08 Matrix04-08 CorollaCables, lines, etc. all swap out fine. Use your existing flywheel as long as it can be re-surfaced. I contacted gripforce.com about a F1 Stage 2 clutch kit (carbon kevlar disc instead of an organic one) and he said the clutch kit for the 5 speed and the 6 speed are 1 and the same. I went 1 step above oem on the clutch since a number of people have complained about pre-mature clutch failure with the 6 speeds. This may be due to driving style and/or the GT's have more hp and could tend to slip the clutch easier. My clutch on my 5 speed was original and had 93k miles on it and it never slipped and their was plenty of lining left on it when I took the 5 speed out. I am in the process of re-assembling my car right now. Just stabbed the 6 speed on the engine last night and am putting all the brackets and motor mounts on it now. Here is some good reading material for doing the swap: http://wehavescissors.blogspot....html Stabbing the tranny on the engine IS A 2 PERSON JOB even if you have a floor jack supporting the tranny for height. I built a cradle out of 2x4's and bolted it to my floor jack to support the tranny and keep it from rocking around which was very helpful during the stabbing process.Check this thread - this guy on the forum may still have a 6 speed (I found one local for a bit cheaper with less miles on it): http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=1 Good luck to you!
2003 base model
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

wait, so you do have to change the shift linkages? Everyone else made it sound like that was unnecessary D:
03 Abyss Base, not 5 .. 6spd!2012 Focus soon...
mntn-biker

Re: (Neouka)

Post by mntn-biker »

Quote, originally posted by Neouka »wait, so you do have to change the shift linkages? Everyone else made it sound like that was unnecessary D:No. Everything is the same.
2003 base model
Neouka

Re: (mntn-biker)

Post by Neouka »

how does it work then with the extra shift gate on the 6-speed? Or it just mysteriously does? If you had no problems, I'm probably going to go ahead with this swap as well within a couple weeks. Might go buy the used trans tomorrow, but I still want to get a new clutch and possibly flywheel.I just had a brake caliper replaced today since one was sticking and ruining my new pads and rotors.. this car is becoming a bit of a money pit right before I plan on selling it, lol..
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Neouka »how does it work then with the extra shift gate on the 6-speed? Or it just mysteriously does? no mystery, the shifter is just mounted on a gimbal, sort of like a universal joint. attatched to it are two cables, one moves when you move the shifter left or right, the other moves when you move the shifter forward or back. If you disconnect the shift cables from the levers on the tranny, you can move the shifter in circles, do figure 8's, whatever. When connected to the levers on the tranny, the cables can only move in ways the transmission allows, and that's what sets the shift pattern. So no shifter mods are required when replacing the 5 speed with a 6 speed.
mntn-biker

Re: (joatmon)

Post by mntn-biker »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »no mystery, the shifter is just mounted on a gimbal, sort of like a universal joint. attatched to it are two cables, one moves when you move the shifter left or right, the other moves when you move the shifter forward or back. If you disconnect the shift cables from the levers on the tranny, you can move the shifter in circles, do figure 8's, whatever. When connected to the levers on the tranny, the cables can only move in ways the transmission allows, and that's what sets the shift pattern. So no shifter mods are required when replacing the 5 speed with a 6 speed.Yeah. What Joatman said. After hooking all the linkage up today, I jumped in and shifted thru the gears (without the engine running) just to see how it worked out. It works.I will probably have this up and running by the weekend. I decided to replace my front struts, mounts, and boots (the boots were original and were shredded with 93k miles on them) while everything is torn apart. I would have had it together by tomorrow night except that one of the strut to body mount bolts snapped while I was torqing it down to spec. so I had to order a replacement with next day air so it won't get here til Friday
2003 base model
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

Is there any sort of lockout for reverse on the GTs? I got the transmission today for 700 bucks, and I see how the linkage makes no difference, there's only two levers to control everything. I guess I had that oldschool idea where there was a linkage for each set of gears lol..Now I just have to get a clutch, maybe a flywheel... then someone or a shop to install it all. I hope the transmission is good, kinda hard to tell when it's just a part on the floor. Looks okay, apparently has 55,000 km/35k mi on it.
Herb

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Neouka »Is there any sort of lockout for reverse on the GTs? Not as such. When you push left towards 1st, there's a soft stop that you have to push slightly harder to get to the next gate for reverse.In the case of the GTs, they start beeping as soon as you're in reverse to remind you that you're in reverse instead of 1st.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

So how did it go. Is the swap complete?
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
mntn-biker

Re: (sideshowalan)

Post by mntn-biker »

Quote, originally posted by sideshowalan »So how did it go. Is the swap complete?It is done with the exception of putting the lower splash shield on and getting a 6 speed shift knob.Stabbing the tranny on the engine IS a 2 person job and was the trickiest part of the job.Not sure about the clutch I put on it. It is a F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch. Not very forgiving from a dead stop but it is drivable. It isn't very smooth from a dead stop - it kinda sounds like and feels like something is warped as you ease the clutch out but maybe it just needs to break in or this is the nature of it since it is very "grabby". I'm just wondering if the tips of the clutch's pressure plate are not equal. The instructions from F1 did not say anything about keeping them inline, just parallel with the flywheel. I torqued the clutch cover down to spec which pulls the tips in towards the disc. At that point, the tips were pretty much parallel but I didn't know what else I could do at this point. Didn't know if it would be a problem but like I said, I had it torqued down and I couldn't really tighten it anymore to pull the tips in more so this is what I had. I may call gripforce.com today and see what they have to say. This was my first clutch job/major transmission job so other than this issue, everything else went fine. Would I do it again? I hope I don't have to but I probably would to save $600 worth of labor cost on a clutch replacement job.
2003 base model
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by mntn-biker »Not sure about the clutch I put on it. It is a F1 Racing Stage 2 clutch. Not very forgiving from a dead stop but it is drivable. It isn't very smooth from a dead stop - it kinda sounds like and feels like something is warped as you ease the clutch out but maybe it just needs to break in or this is the nature of it since it is very "grabby". Rip it up and shift shift shift! Break 'er in good!
richz03

Post by richz03 »

Looks like I will be doing this swap too! Good news since used 5speeds are much more $$$ than the used 6 speeds.
Rich
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

Swap is done!I had the transmission sitting in my garage for a couple months, but I finally got unlazy and took it to the shop to do the swap.Trans is a LOT quieter now, I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. Shifts smoother, still not buttery smooth like my brother's Mazda3 but I think that's just how these transmissions are. Clutch feels lighter and grabs better. Overall the car feels a touch quicker, but you do have to shift a lot more, and it does rev higher on the highway.Now I just need to get a 6 sp knob to complete it!Still plan on getting something new in the spring though, lol..
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Did you put a new clutch in as well?Something new??? (I'd recommend an 09-10 Vibe.... )
Neouka

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by Neouka »

yup, brand new clutch kit. The old one was still good even at 200,000 km, but the new one definitely grabs better.I don't think I'd buy another Vibe, lol.. I kind of want to take a step up from my current car Right now the tops of my list are1. 2012 Ford Focus hatch (mmm, 8" touchscreen navigation, 10 speaker stereo and a bunch of other goodies)2. 2011 VW Golf TDI highline ... really want a diesel but it's lacking in goodies like the Focus3. 2011 Mazda3 hatch .. good car for the money, but worse fuel economy
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by Neouka »1. 2012 Ford Focus hatch (mmm, 8" touchscreen navigation, 10 speaker stereo and a bunch of other goodies) - Looks good! 2. 2011 VW Golf TDI highline ... really want a diesel but it's lacking in goodies like the Focus - Diesel , notorious volkswagen unreliability and cost of parts 3. 2011 MazdaSpeed3 hatch ... There, fixed it for you! If you're contemplating spending the $$$ on the Golf then there's no sense in not getting the uberfast model!!!
Neouka

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by Neouka »

I'm waiting to see if the Focus is going to live up to my expectations of it. I've priced out one with all the options I want, and it ends up being a $30,000 (cdn) car. If it's worth it, I'm all for that. It does sound a bit scary to potentially own a 30,000 dollar Focus though.I'm kinda lukewarm on the VW. The Mk6 Golf looks like a pretty decent car, and no major problems to speak of yet, after browsing VWVortex for a bit. I really, really want a diesel though. How much worse can it be than the Vibe, I did have to replace a manual transmission after 200,000 km! Don't want the Speed3. It ends up being 10 grand more than a fully loaded Golf TDI, eats premium gas, and a lot of it. I want fuel economy ..I'm hoping the Focus will clear at least 40 US mpg hwy. The Golf diesel rocks that easy though.
Bedlam

Post by Bedlam »

lets say i do this to my 2003 5-spd base. With the reverse gear being in a different location; what triggers the backup lights to go on? Is that controlled through the computer so no change is needed and it will just know or is there a sensor that needs to be placed else-ware to pickup the new gear location?
07 1ZZ 5spd Stealth - Sold
03 1ZZ 6spd Shadow w/NAV - For Sale
06 AWD Stealth - Current
07 Magnum SRT-8 - Current
mntn-biker

Re: (Bedlam)

Post by mntn-biker »

Quote, originally posted by Bedlam »lets say i do this to my 2003 5-spd base. With the reverse gear being in a different location; what triggers the backup lights to go on? Is that controlled through the computer so no change is needed and it will just know or is there a sensor that needs to be placed else-ware to pickup the new gear location?No need to worry about that! It all happens behind the scenes. Just rip out the POS 5 speed and put in a 6 speed and everything is happy. I did need to remove the speedometer thingamajiggy from my POS 5 speed and put it in place of the plug on my replacement 6 speed (from a Corolla). Must be they sense the speed differently on a Corolla....
2003 base model
Bedlam

Post by Bedlam »

Quote, originally posted by mntn-biker »No need to worry about that! It all happens behind the scenes. Just rip out the POS 5 speed and put in a 6 speed and everything is happy. I did need to remove the speedometer thingamajiggy from my POS 5 speed and put it in place of the plug on my replacement 6 speed (from a Corolla). Must be they sense the speed differently on a Corolla....great to know, thanks! That was my only concern about the swap, everything else seams fairly standard taking the old out and putting the new in. When my stock clutch or transmission finally go this will be first one the list.
07 1ZZ 5spd Stealth - Sold
03 1ZZ 6spd Shadow w/NAV - For Sale
06 AWD Stealth - Current
07 Magnum SRT-8 - Current
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

Yup, reverse just seems to work fine, no problems with the lights.I don't think they had to change any speed sensors on mine, but my 6 speed was from an 05 Vibe GT.I still find it funny that the clutch outlived the transmission on my car D:
2004pontvbgt6spd

Re: 2003 Swapped in a 6speed , replaced the 5 speed

Post by 2004pontvbgt6spd »

you guys sound like you know what you're talking about. Single woman working on her car.. my ex husband worked on the cars and I know a little bit about the clutch.
2004 Pontiac vibe GT 6-speed manual transmission. It's on jack stands front tires are up, front wheel drive. Scenario: without touching the clutch pedal I can go from reverse to first through 4th. In any of those gears I can get the RPMs up to 7,000 rpm then I have to engage the clutch to get into 5th and 6th gear. TIA for any information. Is there a separate cable for 5th and 6th gear haven't really looked at it. While it's running I cannot shift it from underneath but I can from the shifter inside. Well in or out of gear the tires turn freely the left side is really tight.
Last edited by 2004pontvbgt6spd on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

2004pontvbgt6spd wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:50 am you guys sound like you know what you're talking about. Single woman working on her car.. my ex husband worked on the cars and I know a little bit about the clutch.
2004 Pontiac vibe GT 6-speed manual transmission. It's on jack stands front tires are up, front wheel drive. Scenario: without touching the clutch pedal I can go from reverse to first through 4th. In any of those gears I can get the RPMs up to 7,000 rpm then I have to engage the clutch to get into 5th and 6th gear. TIA for any information. Is there a separate cable for 5th and 6th gear haven't really looked at it. While it's running I cannot shift it from underneath but I can from the shifter inside. Well in cure or out of gear the tires turn freely the left side is really tight.
There are only two cables connected from the shifter to the transmission. One cable moves the gear selector forward and back, the other moves the gear selector left and right.

When driving the car on the road, are you able to use the clutch and shift in to all six gears and reverse? I don't understand the issue you are trying to diagnose.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
2004pontvbgt6spd

When the tires are on it and it's on the road and it's running I can shift in reverse and first through fourth without depressing the clutch but it won't roll unless I rev up to 7,000 RPMs and then it will barely roll if I'm not going uphill. But I put it on jack stands removed the tires started revving it to 7,000 and trying to shift gears again it will move through every gear except fifth and 6th without pressing the clutch. On the jack stands the tires will roll at 7,000 RPMs pretty good.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Why are you trying to shift without using the clutch?
2004pontvbgt6spd

I wasn't initially. When this all happened I was on the road trying to get out of the way of traffic. Trying to shift it and it was doing the same thing in every gear. I got it parked and tried to get it to go and realized what was going on because it would only move at a high RPM. When I got it home I realized it didn't matter what gear I was trying to get in the clutch was of no importance until I got to 5th and 6th gear at 7,000 RPMs it would let me use the clutch to shift into it.
Last edited by 2004pontvbgt6spd on Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

2004pontvbgt6spd wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:20 pm I wasn't initially. When this all happened I was on the road trying to get out of the way of traffic. Trying to shift it and it was doing the same thing in every gear. I got it parked and tried to get it to go and realized what was going on because it would only move at a high RPM. When I got it home I realized it didn't matter what year I was trying to get in the clutch was of no importance until I got to 5th and 6th gear at 7,000 RPMs it would let me use the clutch to shift into it.
Do you have a mechanic you trust to work on a car? I think you should have an expert look at this. It sounds like you have a problem with the clutch, master cylinder, or the shift forks.

How many miles does the car have on it? Did you get any service records with it?
Shifting at 7000 RPM is fine when using the clutch pedal, but having to do it without the clutch pedal for every shift is not normal, and sooner or later you are going to miss and something bad could happen.
2004pontvbgt6spd

No I don't have a trusted mechanic I did not get service records. I thought it might be something with the fork, cuz it's not normal in any way shape or form that it's not moving in any gear unless it's revved up to 7000 RPMs and then when I do push the clutch in to get into 5th gear it just slows down the wheel. But thank you so much. I will figure it out.