06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
My06Vibe

06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem

Post by My06Vibe »

Hi everyone,I owe 06 Vibe, auto transmission, with about 22,000 miles. I bought it new less than a year ago. 2 days ago, I noticed when I was taking off from a stop, my car was "bumping" through the gears. I looked down & saw the check engine light on. Took the car to my dealer & they told me the car had bad pressure control solenoid.I googled "P2716" & came up with few sites. I guess there have been same problem with Corolla & Matrix. Anyone out there can tell me more about this problem? (In plain English, please!!!)Thanks.
lovemyraffe

Re: 06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem (My06Vibe)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Well, I have some bad news for you. My f-i-l (who owns a tranny shop) went to a transmission expo in Vegas a few months back, and this was brought up. The solenoids will go bad. It is a wonderful thing for anyone in the transmission industry, cuz it is very expensive to fix. The Corolla & Matrix will experience the same problem since they have the same drivetrains as the Vibe. There really isn't much you can do to prevent it, but with 22k on it, shouldn't it still be under warranty?
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
My06Vibe

Re: 06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem (lovemyraffe)

Post by My06Vibe »

Very funny....Yes, my car is under warranty & will be for another 77,000 miles. I have the GM major guard coverage.My previous car was 2001 Honda Odyssey, known for the bad transmission. My Odyssey's transmission died less than 1,000 miles out of warranty. Honda was no help. I dumped the Odyssey & got the Vibe. So, when I bought my Vibe, I made sure I was covered. And, I can't complain. The dealer gave me Buick Lucerne to drive around & I am not paying a cent. (Except for extra gas money I have to spend. Lucerne is only doing about 15 miles per gallon.)BUT...I hope Pontiac can fix this for me. I love my Vibe. I miss it already. The ironic part...my daughter's '94 Toyota Corolla with over 225,000 miles is still going strong. Thank you for the information, lovemyraffe.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I wish there was something to do to prevent this happening. 22k is really young though. Mine is an 05 Base, and I have 48k on it with no problems.
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

If all they are doing is replacing that solenoid it is not a difficult job. I see your car is under warranty. If not I'm sure someone like Rostra controls will make an aftermarket solenoid - these cost around $60.No big deal.
'07 Vibe
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »went to a transmission expo in Vegas a few months I guess that would be the ATRA powetrain expo. I recall getting a card about that. I've bought so many transmission related things now that I even get invites to these things. LOL
'07 Vibe
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »... The solenoids will go bad. It is a wonderful thing for anyone in the transmission industry, cuz it is very expensive to fix. The Corolla & Matrix will experience the same problem since they have the same drivetrains as the Vibe.This sounds unduly pessimistic considering the reliability record that the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla have been experiencing to date. Consumer Reports records based on their subscriber data show that these models have had a much better than average record of both minor and major transmission repairs in almost all years from 1999 on (obviously not that long for the Matrix/Vibe which came in as '03 models). In contrast, the Honda Odyssey shows a *much worse* than average record for major tranny repairs through 2002, then improvement for more recent models.BTW, solenoid replacement is classified by CU as a minor transmission repair.Certainly even the most reliable model will have some problems, and there will even be some samples that are real lemons (see CP's Vibe). But if solenoid failures were really as common as seemed to be suggested, then I'd expect it to stand out in the data for the '03 and '04 Vibes/Matrices and the even older Corollas - all of which have now been on the road long enough for many of them to have lots of mileage.
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

i had that problem a few months ago, then i changed the oil and it was fine...?i got lucky lol.
My06Vibe

Re: 06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem (prathman)

Post by My06Vibe »

Thank you everyone.It's nice to hear it is a minor transmission repair. prathman is right. Even the most reliable model will have some problems. Hopefully mine is just "one of those things". I was just laughing because I didn't want to hear the words "transmission problem" after what happened to my Odyssey.The dealer said the part is coming in tomorrow & should be able to get it done. Stay tuned.
lovemyraffe

Re: 06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem (blue_can)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by blue_can » I guess that would be the ATRA powetrain expo. I recall getting a card about that.It was the ATRA expo.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by prathman »This sounds unduly pessimistic considering the reliability record that the Vibe/Matrix/Corolla have been experiencing to date.I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but when I have access to that information...It does seem bizarre that they don't have that info in the reliability reports, but they also said that there was no timeline on when this would happen to the car.
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »It does seem bizarre that they don't have that info in the reliability reports, but they also said that there was no timeline on when this would happen to the car.This may just reflect the different data sources and emphasis of a consumer-oriented organization vs. a repair-oriented one. CU gets data on the cars owned by their subscribers and reports on the reliability based on how high a percentage are trouble-free in each area. Their data to date appears to indicate that relatively few Vibe/Matrix/Corolla owners have had transmission problems.OTOH, a transmission repair industry group would get data from their members on what specific problems they found on cars brought to them with transmission issues. They may well be seeing that a relatively high percentage of the transmission problems are due to failure of this solenoid.There isn't necessarily any conflict between these two conclusions by the different organizations.
blue_can

Post by blue_can »

I've seen a few posts on this forum about this particular problem on cars with fairly low mileage so I would assume that there is a higher than average probablity of this part failing. I don't agree that they "will" go bad but the possibility seems to be higher than one would expect.
'07 Vibe
My06Vibe

Re: 06 Vibe with P2716 - Pressure control Solenoid problem

Post by My06Vibe »

I got my car back few days ago. I already put over 200 miles & working just fine.
Project06

Post by Project06 »

This is funny, my car did the same but at about 28k! Dealership replaced it and everythings been good since. Good luck!
THE VIBERATOR

Post by THE VIBERATOR »

Lol glad to hear your vibe is goin strong now. My 2003 vibe base has just eclipsed 70,000 miles and i've had no problems
2003 Vibe Base - Sold2005 Corolla LE 5 speedcustom short ram air box6k HID kitIn memoriam of the Vibe, may you rest in peace:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3168634
kndy

Post by kndy »

I just had the same thing with ours...only 55,700 on it and the check engine light came on...experienced the same problem that you had. At first I was thinking if it was because of the hot weather (it was near 105F that day).The following morning, it was gone. Had oil change as one recommended and also had a fuel injection changed and hoping the problem would never come back.Two weeks later, it came back and I had it diagnosed at an auto shop ant it came up as a solenoid. Unfort. no one local can fix something like this but the dealership and since I had a warranty, they have to do a diag. and take everything apart for a thorough inspection. I usually don't get the warranty for cars but this time I did and I guess I'm glad I did (like others, ours is up to 77,000). Warranty insurance was only willing to cover $1,000. The repair for the replacement of the solenoid and wire harness (and new transmission fluid) came to around $996 or something like that.But there is the transmission filter which insurance does not cover and because for the Vibe, they really need to get into things... I was calling around and we were told by other autoshops that the quote for a trans. filter they gave us, which was $165 was reasonable. Uggh...of all times to not have any money but always have something for emergencies. Needless to say, I was very disappointed that this solenoid thing happened. Noticed it has happened to to others and my main worry is that it may happen again. I know nothing about solenoids or how many their are inside a Vibe but with this malfunctioning one, right now it's getting repaired and I hope it doesn't happen again. According to the repair, this repair has a warranty up to 1 year (12,000 miles). Duration without a car - 3 days (in my experience). No rental given because it's considered a "day's work" even though 1-day for diag. and the ordering the part and then getting it on Wednesday and working on it that day.
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

i would check the PCM as well as the solenoid. I had this exact same problem with my vibe, and the PCM just needed to be replaced.
angelais

Re: (sgp2012)

Post by angelais »

The question is, if the diag shows that its the solenoid, how would they know it's the PCM not the solenoid?
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replacing the solenoid....is that something that can be done in your driveway???
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
lovemyraffe

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »Replacing the solenoid....is that something that can be done in your driveway???No.
kndy

Post by kndy »

Oh boy! My car has now been in the shop since last Monday. It took a while for the Solenoid to come in and guess what....After replacing everything, they did a test drive and the check engine light was on and they found out it was the PCM. The PCM is now being replaced as I type this. Man, I hope this fixes the problem.They said the PCM is covered under warranty. What's interesting is after going through threads about people here having PCM problems, I was expecting the same thing. After replacing the Solenoid, the check engine light would come on and sure enough it did.What sucks about the whole thing is the Solenoid problem although covered by our extra warrant is considered a one day minor repair...but being in California, the part and the wire harness come from Michigan and takes five days. So, no rent-a-car for the week because it's a minor repair (Which the warranty is only alotting $1,000 which covers the solenoid and repair). They said they had a PCM in-stock which is good but I wonder how common this PCM problem is.
star_deceiver

Re: (kndy)

Post by star_deceiver »

I've seen it pop up in the forums quite a bit...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)