Front end growl, not bearings.

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
jetmech727

Front end growl, not bearings.

Post by jetmech727 »

I have a 2003 AWD Vibe. I just changed both front end bearings due to a growling noise thats reminiscent of a bearing failure. Anyway the growl is still there, it's not quite as pronounced as it was but it's still there and very easy to here. Any idea as to what else may be causing this? Could it be the CV joints or shaft?
joatmon

Re: Front end growl, not bearings. (jetmech727)

Post by joatmon »

first thing I''d do is rotate the tires front to back. I've had a lot of stressful noises turn out to be tires on my Vibe. might be brakes, but if you replaced the bearings you had to see the brakes and would be able to see if there was unusual wear. Could be a CV joint, but CV noise is supposed to be more pronounced during a turn than when going straight.I once had a really bad mechanical tapping or knocking, only had it above 35 mpg, and then it seemed to be speed related, higher speed louder and faster. I thought something terrible had gone wrong. Turned out to be a few of the little retainers for the splash guards under the engine compartment had disappeared, and that thin plastic was flapping in the wind. Wouldn't be causing your growl, but it did make me realize I lack the ability to locate and diagnose vibe noises
jetmech727

Post by jetmech727 »

It was doing this when I had the snow tires on so its not a tire issue thats for sure. Before I changed the bearings it was a real loud an low growl sound, almost like hockey cards in bicycle spokes lol. It does this in neutral and it follows speed i.e it gets louder the faster I go. Its quieter with the new bearings but its still there. Its the same sound in a straight line as it is when I turn.
Lavalash

Re: (jetmech727)

Post by Lavalash »

Sounds like the sound I had before I changed my belt tensioner. Have you checked that? I could hear it if I was standing in front of the engine while revving it up and listening to the passenger side. I figured it was the tensioner, so I swapped it out, and the sound is gone.