COLOSSAL! AMAZING! GenVibe SUMMER MEET IN INDIANAPOLIS!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jkm311

COLOSSAL! AMAZING! GenVibe SUMMER MEET IN INDIANAPOLIS!

Post by jkm311 »

Now that I have your attention...After Kevzaz kicked off the idea of having a BIG meet here... http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=1...an Indianapolis meet has begun to gain some real head-way. We (well, ponta2147 and I) wanted to start this new thread to grab everyone's attention and get a better gauge of interest.Here's what we have thus far: Where? Wolfman213 was generously offering POSSIBLE access to a large enough parking lot, close to most major highways that lead into Indy (69/65/74/70, etc.) However, it looks like the dates just aren't lining up. There are parks/places in the 'burbs, just outside Indy that may work, and Wolfman has volunteered to check into a place or two closer to Anderson, IN. I called the Speedway, and they hung up on me (j/k!). Any Indy natives, please offer alternatives when you respond, so we can get a list going. I know the Avon and Greenwood areas have larger shopping areas/lots. Greenwood has been suggested, and is a strong possibility. When? Some time in June or July, but that will be contingent upon interest, so suggest/mention what weekends in DO NOT work. A pattern of dates to avoid/consider may begin to form... EDIT Our date/time is Saturday, July 17th @ 2 p.m. EASTERN at Sahm Park in between Fishers and Castleton, Indianahttp://visitindy.com/indianapolis/web/jsp/whattodo/detail.jsp?c=8090101:static&p=1Who? The coolest kids around. Matricies (Matrixi?) welcome, of course! "Aww, prairie $hit, everybody" (bonus points if you can name the movie).EDIT 6/21/10: Here is the direct link to the Quality Inn hotel where we have begun to book rooms: http://www.qualityinn.com/hote...AB.11It is located directly south of the park, not even half a mile away. 5+ GenVibers will be staying there. To see their $$$ totals for their bookings, click on the 17th page of this JUMBO thread. EDIT 7/13/10: Those who have expressed interest thus far:jkm311tpollaufWolfman213ponta2147J_TO_ENVYKevzazRussiavillePsychoMartyraudiovibehouseofbugskotsbylifes tuffLavaIlliniVibeBlueCrushB14CK_H4WKHarleyQuinnMr Magoojackie879scherry2enfield577arelesDaveGmidnightthunder89 (a "maybe")ramenboy... (a "maybe")cp_stunna_2011 (a "maybe")Weather forecast (automatically updates): Let's do this. The Sandwich meet was a success, and I wish I could have gone! The May Matrix meet in Ohio (mentioned in the link up top) may work for some of us, but Indy may bring in a wider spread of GenVibe members. I, and many others on here, have never been to a meet, and with everything that has transpired in the past 6 months (Pontiac dead, NUMMI being shuttered, Vibe/'trix no longer in production) we have many, MANY reasons to keep this community alive in celebration. Let's fill this post with ideas/thoughts/suggestions. In my best Cartman: "I love you guys."
Steelies to the rescue.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Hey now. =pI could maybe attend this.
Russiaville

Post by Russiaville »

I'd be interested.
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

i can definitely come if i'm free that day!
vibolista

Re: COLOSSAL! AMAZING! GenVibe SUMMER MEET IN INDIANAPOLIS! (jkm311)

Post by vibolista »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Who? The coolest kids around. Matricies (Matrixi?) welcome, of course! "Aww, prairie $hit, everybody" (bonus points if you can name the movie).One of the all time funniest movies... Blazing Saddles.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
jkm311

Re: (jkm311)

Post by jkm311 »

How about it, Vibolista? You can't just take the Blazing Saddles bonus points and walk away!And Psycho Martyr, you are in the lead, potential mileage-wise! Anyone want to challenge?! Come one! Come all!
Steelies to the rescue.
A Psycho Martyr

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

If it's mid-July I can probably do it. My B-day gift, if you will....
A Psycho Martyr

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 » 7/17-18I'm leanin towards this one because ny b-day is the 13th so I may get some cash
jkm311

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »I'm leanin towards this one because ny b-day is the 13th so I may get some cash I have edited the first post to reflect July 17th-18th as the front runner. Keep 'em comin' folks!Also, anyone who has fun/interesting ideas for the meet, please share. Anything that's a tradition or well-liked from past meets?
Steelies to the rescue.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Whats the address? I might be runner up in distance.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (Kevzaz)

I just did mapquest.com and put from my city to indy...Total Travel Estimate: 6 hours 43 minutes / 427.55 miles
jkm311

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by jkm311 »

Cullman, AL to downtown Indy: 430Drums, PA to downtown Indy: 615Now, that's Vibe dedication! Puts my 325 to shame. Better bring the bug and tar remover, and a fresh clay bar kit!
Steelies to the rescue.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Addresses of any self-service carwashes in the area? I am open for both July dates so far.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Indy is a 3-4 hour drive for me I believe so that wouldn't be bad at all, although I would probably consider spending the night since the route I take to Indy has lots of woods and fields and I definitely wouldn't want to be driving through it at night. I don't have anything major planned for the summer so I am open for any dates really. A self-serve car wash will definitely be a necessity!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

That's a pretty fur piece up tha road from here, jkm! I'm giving up a lot of my normal activities this summer to paint my house. We've lived in it over 15 years now, and I haven't done much in the way of "cosmetic" maintenance. If I don't get this done this summer, I'll have to replace a lot of exterior siding and probably all the facia boards! The worst thing is, I really don't like painting. One of the many things I'm giving up this year is a yearly 200 mile, 3 day bicycle ride across the state of Maine on Father's day weekend, that helps raise a huge amount of money for the Lung Association. I'm not even going to ride my bicycle until I get the painting project done. I won't completely rule it out... but right now, I would have to say probably not attending. Sorry... it would be a nice trip. My wife and I travelled to Indy 5 times, 2000 to 2004 to see the Formula 1 cars race there. Really enjoyed the city, too. It all depends on the weather and how soon I can get a start on the whole prep/fix/paint thing. Did I mention that I really don't like to paint?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
jkm311

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Indy is a 3-4 hour drive for me I believe so that wouldn't be bad at all, although I would probably consider spending the night since the route I take to Indy has lots of woods and fields and I definitely wouldn't want to be driving through it at night.So, you don't take 65 all the way from Gary? 57-Rte. 24-65?
Steelies to the rescue.
jkm311

Re: (vibolista)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Did I mention that I really don't like to paint? Maybe once or twice! Well, stay in touch on this thread. We'd love to have you, of course. Would have been nice to show you the Potenza 205/60/16s in person (http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40666)! Maybe I'll get to the "new garage" I promised so many weeks ago. Cashed the rebate check today, though!
Steelies to the rescue.
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

I would love to go, but if it’s after 28 June it’s a no go for me I have to go to Cali to NTC for training. Just throwing a date out their but how about the 12/13 June.
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bastranz

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Bastranz »

Alas, I won't be able to make it from where I'm coming from. However, I can't wait to see the pictures! Great idea!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
star_deceiver

Re: (Bastranz)

Post by star_deceiver »

It would be fun to drive the 3700kms (ish) for the meet, but that's just a little too far for a weekend without a few extra days (week) off.If there was one in the western states I'd try my best to get there... after all, it's only 29.5 hrs from my apartment to the Sunset Strip!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jkm311

Re: (star_deceiver)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by mac99d »I would love to go, but if it’s after 28 June it’s a no go for me I have to go to Cali to NTC for training. Just throwing a date out their but how about the 12/13 June.Thrown into the list-of-possible-dates ring. Thanks. Quote, originally posted by Bastranz »Alas, I won't be able to make it from where I'm coming from. However, I can't wait to see the pictures! Great idea!Bummer. Maybe next time, Bastranz! And if there's a meet somewhere closer to you, PA or OH are not completely out of the question for me in the future.Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »It would be fun to drive the 3700kms (ish) for the meet, but that's just a little too far for a weekend without a few extra days (week) off.Double bummer. That sounds like a mixed drink of some sort...
Steelies to the rescue.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I'll contact the agency that would give the OK for the lot today. I'll give them the dates listed to determine if there are any conflicting events going on.AFA dates are concerned, I'd be down for one of the July dates. I'll be on vacation (out-of-state not just off work) on the June dates listed.
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
A Psycho Martyr

sooo uhhhhh....is there any possibilty thath I may get to test drive someone's 5spd? It would be a dream come true. I miss driving one I promise I don't ride the clutch and I never had to replace mine on my truck. Just for a little bit? pleeeeeez?
jkm311

Re: COLOSSAL! AMAZING! GenVibe SUMMER MEET IN INDIANAPOLIS! (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by jkm311 »

Thank you, Wolfman! Let us know how the dates line up. Looks like the July dates still have the most support?Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »sooo uhhhhh....is there any possibilty thath I may get to test drive someone's 5spd? It would be a dream come true. I miss driving one I promise I don't ride the clutch and I never had to replace mine on my truck. Just for a little bit? pleeeeeez? Sounds like we might have our first activity! However, as my sig gives away, I am clutchless.
Steelies to the rescue.
midnighthunder89

Post by midnighthunder89 »

If I am not doing anything I may stop by I have grandparents north of indy so I could visit them but currently the drive from where I am is 621 miles..... I will not know until a week before prob. O ya and if I visit you can test drive mine.
2010 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed manual.
jkm311

Re: (midnighthunder89)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by midnighthunder89 »If I am not doing anything I may stop by I have grandparents north of indy so I could visit them but currently the drive from where I am is 621 miles.I'm in R.O. and it's only 325-330 miles for me. You're not in Bloomfield Hills anymore?I'll add you as "a possible."
Steelies to the rescue.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (midnighthunder89)

Quote, originally posted by midnighthunder89 » O ya and if I visit you can test drive mine.GO SEE YOUR GRANDPARENTS!!!! SHEESH!
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

I have contacted the agency that deals with the lot and she is bring it to her manager at this time. July 17-18 will not be an option for the lot because the Black Expo is running that weekend. Please don't take this as a racial thing at all, but as far as downtown Indy, it will be very difficult for that particular weekend because when Black Expo is on, it is PACKED down here!! So those are some updates and I will inform back when I hear something concrete!!
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
jkm311

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »July 17-18 will not be an option for the lot because the Black Expo is running that weekend. And from the Expo's site: http://www.indianablackexpo.com/..it looks like it runs the weekend before (7/10-11), as well. Maybe your lot access is only being used 17th-18th?Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »I will inform back when I hear something concrete!!Yes, please. And thanks for pursuing this. I've put a mention of this on the GenVibe Facebook page, but I think we have a helluva lot more traffic on here. Anyone have a MatrixOwners account to post it there?
Steelies to the rescue.
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

yeah dont plan it on the weekend of black expo. it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to go anywhere downtown during the expo.
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

I am available any weekend.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »And from the Expo's site: http://www.indianablackexpo.com/..it looks like it runs the weekend before (7/10-11), as well. Maybe your lot access is only being used 17th-18th?According to the calendar they have, the 11th is the only day there is something going on and that is a film expo. It's location is a ways away from where the meet will potentially take place.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Hmmmm. Why not, I should be good to go.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
jkm311

Re: (sgp2012)

Post by jkm311 »

The site http://www.indianablackexpo.com/ states it runs from the 8th-18th, but I checked the "event calendar" tab, and there isn't anything planned during the Expo for that Saturday the 10th (July), but there IS for Sunday the 11th. I know larger meets have two days of activities, which would hurt our chances of getting the lot for the second day on Sunday the 11th of July.So, if the 17th-18th continues to be the front-runner, maybe we consider another site?We might also have to consider another locale if the 10th-11th works, due to the Expo still happening on the 11th...June 12th-13th is also still up for consideration, as well.Indy natives, please ring in with suggestions. Thanks!
Steelies to the rescue.
jkm311

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by houseofbugs »I am available any weekend.Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »Hmmmm. Why not, I should be good to go. You're both added!
Steelies to the rescue.
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Indy natives, please ring in with suggestions. Thanks! Yeah def!!! For those of you from Indy or Indiana, I'm from Anderson and know just enough around Indy to get me by. So if the lot falls through, I'm about as helpful as Psycho from Alabama lol
jkm311

Re: (Wolfman213)

Post by jkm311 »

My family used to live in Zionsville, so I know Carmel (north-side) and Avon (west-side) have shopping (big lots!), and hotels.Other than that, I'm not terribly helpful either!
Steelies to the rescue.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Guys/gals... At this point all dates mentioned will work for me I'll probably be heading out from Port Clinton instead of Toledo (summer place on Lake Erie ) which puts my trip at 260 miles @ 4.5 hours drive time. An all day Saturday would work best for me as I would drive to the meet, socialize with all Genvibers, then head home that evening. Another question about this possible site. Would there be any Wi-Fi available for us to tap into?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

greenwood is also a good place to host an event. it is very accessible from interstate, and there is shopping, hotels, restaurants, etc.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf » Another question about this possible site. Would there be any Wi-Fi available for us to tap into? Good question. Maybe this suggestion of Greenwood will lend itself to a retail/hotel locale with Wi-Fi...Quote, originally posted by sgp2012 »greenwood is also a good place to host an event. it is very accessible from interstate, and there is shopping, hotels, restaurants, etc. Not to mention, 15-20 miles shorter of a drive for A Psycho Martyr! South of town, right off of 65!
Steelies to the rescue.
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

i think greenwood is a very good choice to have a meetup. but i think it will be hard to find a place that will be empty for us.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »So, you don't take 65 all the way from Gary? 57-Rte. 24-65?Heck no! I would be taking Route 47 (country road through a bunch of small towns) to I 74. It's a nice ride. No traffic whatsoever. Heading to Gary would be way out of the way for me, plus who needs all that traffic.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by sgp2012 »i think greenwood is a very good choice to have a meetup. but i think it will be hard to find a place that will be empty for us. Well, if Wolfman comes back with bad news about the lot downtown, sounds like Greenwood will be our next target.How familiar are you with the area, sgp2012? Just like you said, plenty of shopping and hotels (the Holiday inn Express on Wilson Dr. has good reviews). Looks like the majority of the restaurants are on Rte. 31, just west of 65. There's a Max & Erma's, Fireside Brewhouse, etc. (trying to think of places that can accommodate us).I was also trying to find a park or two, in case we want to do a BBQ-type setup. Westside Park is located close to Rte. 31 and Main. Facilities: basketball courts, grills, two nature trails, park benches, picnic shelter with tables, restrooms, softball diamond and tennis courts (24.5 acres). Playground facilities were replaced and enlarged in 2003.
Steelies to the rescue.
sgp2012

Post by sgp2012 »

i'm from the eastside of indianapolis, but i know the area pretty well. we could meet up at a park, but i'm not sure of any down in greenwood. and yes, most businesses are on US 31 in greenwood. there are literally restaurants for miles.
kostby

Post by kostby »

I'm 30 minutes northwest of downtown Indianapolis, so count me in for any Indy-area location for a few hours at least.Fair Warning: There is lots of road construction in Indiana, so be sure to allow for additional travel time beyond what you might get from the popular mapping sites.Examples in my area:I-65 between Lebanon and Zionsville.I-465 North side of the loop between Meridian and I-69I-465 West side of the loop between W. 38th Street and I-70The last meet we attended was the Supermeet at Joseph Pontiac (now closed --> http://www.mlive.com/news/sagi....html and --> http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/st...58892) in Fenton, Michigan in June 2005. Here's what I remember most of that day:

Attached files

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
jkm311

Re: COLOSSAL! AMAZING! GenVibe SUMMER MEET IN INDIANAPOLIS! (kostby)

Post by jkm311 »

98 degrees! And I don't mean the boy band. A meet place with some partial shade might be more than essential! Especially if some of us do any last-minute detail touch-ups from the drive in! Maybe some smaller E-Z Up Tents, too...Quote, originally posted by kostby »I'm 30 minutes northwest of downtown Indianapolis, so count me in for any Indy-area location for a few hours at least.You've been added!Quote, originally posted by kostby »Fair Warning: There is lots of road construction in Indiana, so be sure to allow for additional travel time beyond what you might get from the popular mapping sites.Examples in my area:I-65 between Lebanon and Zionsville.I-465 North side of the loop between Meridian and I-69I-465 West side of the loop between W. 38th Street and I-70Good to know. Thanks for the heads-up.
Steelies to the rescue.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I also vote for a park or forest preserve if possible... it was great to have a meet at the forest preserve up here in Chicago, and there's more of a chance of having shade (plus the backdrops for pictures are nicer lol)
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Wolfman213

Post by Wolfman213 »

Yeah, the lot is... well... simply a parking lot lol. Nothing scenic about it. AFA anything scenic, I really only know places in Anderson which is about 45 miles NE from downtown. So anyone else with suggestions in the Indy vacinity that meets the afore mentioned suggestions?