CEL Problem....4 different codes showing.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
CaliManDan

CEL Problem....4 different codes showing.

Post by CaliManDan »

I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe (base model). The 'Check Engine Light' is on so I took the car to PepBoys to get it scanned.It came back with 4 different codes:P0440 - Evaporative Emission SystemP0441 - Evaporative Emission System Incorrect Purge FlowP0446 - Evaporative Emission System Vent Control CircuitP0770 - Shift Solenoid 'E'I'm wondering if you guys can tell me more about these codes and if they are serious or minor issues and how I can go about getting them fixed.Thank you very much for the help!
rob454

Re: CEL Problem....4 different codes showing. (CaliManDan)

Post by rob454 »

P0441 - Sounds like a Canister purge valve stuck. I bet that would have a lot to do with the other codes that are showing as well. Also, check your gas cap to be safe.P0770 - Is your transmission in limp mode?? I would get your fluid changed or flushed and clear the code. Hopefully that will solve the issue.
CaliManDan

Re: CEL Problem....4 different codes showing. (rob454)

Post by CaliManDan »

I'm sorry, what do you mean by "is your transmission in limp mode"??Are these 4 codes generally serious problems or just minor issues?
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I'm wondering if P0440, P0441, and P0446 could've simply been caused by a loose gas cap?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
CaliManDan

Re: CEL Problem....4 different codes showing. (star_deceiver)

Post by CaliManDan »

I don't see how that's possible. I just filled the car up with gas about 4 days ago, when I stopped at the gas station the light was already on. And when I unscrewed the gas cap it was on there tight.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by CaliManDan » I unscrewed the gas cap it was on there tight.What's the condition of the rubber seal on the gas cap and filler neck?
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
rob454

Post by rob454 »

limp mode is the "fail safe" feature of your transmission. It will only make your transmission shift in 1 gear only to get you to your destination without ruining any other parts of your transmission during a malfunction. From what the P0770 - Shift Solenoid 'E' code is, it looks like its a stuck solenoid in your trans which means that you are either in Limp mode or your transmission is shifting rough or slipping. A fluid change and cleansing of the trans filter (which is a screen that you can clean with brake cleaner) should solve the problem. Yes, I would recommend dropping the pan and cleaning the residue and magnet as well.Your EVAP codes 440,441, and 446.From what I am seeing, you have a bad evap canister or vent hose assembly(P0446) which would cause the other codes because I bet your canister is saturated with fuel which is sticking the purge valve. Check your evap canister and if that checks out then look into your Charcoal canister, it may be bad. There could be a possibility that charcoal entered your vent hose assembly to your evap canister.Just some thoughts, I would look at the Evap canister, vent hose assy to the evap canister and charcoal canister.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I think Rob has you covered..
CaliManDan

Post by CaliManDan »

Rob454-Thank you for that information. Are these codes serious enough that if the car was being driven around for awhile they could potentially damage the car? The reason I ask is because I wouldn't be able to take the car in to a mechanic for a couple weeks yet. You mentioned that you think I have a bad Evap Canister or a Vent Hose Assembly and possibly a bad Charcoal Canister. Where are these three parts located on the car? And what am I looking for to see if they are damaged or in good shape?
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Dan, I have a link to the COMPLETE service manual in my signature, you should be able to find everything you need int there.. The canister is located in the rear fender well, or under the rear corner of the car.. It could be a cracked hose, a bad solenoid, a cracked canister.. any number of things.. BUT, you should be able to drive it JUST FINE with those codes... I can't say about the transmission code, hopefully someone else will know better...
CaliManDan

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by CaliManDan »

I saw the link in your sig but when I clicked on it, it says "Toyota Matrix Service Manual". Are the service manuals for the Matrix and the VIBE identical?The transmission code worries me a bit. The dealership says that they paid to have the transmission rebuilt...but then there is this code saying Stuck Solenoid "E". But I've put about 250 miles on the car and the transmission seems to be shifting just fine. So I'm not sure what the problem could be. And if the Evap Canister is saturated with fuel like Rob mentioned...how do I prevent that from happening again if I replace the canister or clean it?
rob454

Post by rob454 »

Any transmission problems I would not continue driving the car. Go to a Toyota dealership and pick up 4 quarts of Type IV fluid. Put a pan underneath your tranny and unscrew the plug until all the fluid comes out. Last time I pulled the plug, it removed about 3.25 qts. I would fill to that amount and check the level when the car is warm. Some new fluid may help the problem for a short time until you can get your car in the shop. Remember to disconnect your battery for about 10 minutes to clear your existing codes. BTW, how many miles on your vibe?EDIT: If I am pretty sure you said that your tranny has been replaced or rebuilt, I would be taking it back to that dealership and tell them to fix it asap.If your EVAP Canister is saturated, its probably due to age and miles. They only last so long and then they fail. Once you replace it (If that is the problem) then you should be good to go.EDIT AGAIN: Now that I am thinking of it. I wonder when your transmission was fixed, if they forgot to clear the old code?? If you say it shifts just fine, that might just be an old code stored in the system. I would try to clear it. I bet the dealership forgot to hook something back up with your EVAP system after they worked on the tranny. **Just a speculation.**
CaliManDan

Post by CaliManDan »

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead.My girlfriend has to get her car smogged to register her car this year. The check engine light is on and obviously that won't pass the visual inspection for smog. I took the car to Pepboys today and they ran the code and came back with the same code from last year "P0770" but none of the other codes that I posted in my first post. I want to take the car back to Pepboys this weekend to have them diagnose the problem and fix it because the check engine light needs to be off to get the car smogged. Do you guys think it's really as simple as flushing the transmission fluid and cleaning the transmission filter? How much do you think Pepboys would charge to fix whatever is wrong with the car displaying a code of P0770 which translates to "Stuck Solenoid E"?
joatmon

Re: (CaliManDan)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by CaliManDan »I saw the link in your sig but when I clicked on it, it says "Toyota Matrix Service Manual". Are the service manuals for the Matrix and the VIBE identical?THey are not idenntical. ASide from serious formatting differences, there are some small differences between the Vibe and the matrix that are good to be aware of when using the Matrix manual to service a Vibe. Two items I know of are that the HVAC system is slightly different, so use the matrix manuals carefully for detailed info on the heater and AC. THe other one is that the Vibe has high and low beam headlight fuses, the Matrix also has left and right headlight fuses, so that circuit is a bit different.However, for most everything elase, (and in this case the engine and transmission, no difference.Some of the content in that softcopy version of the matrix manual doesn't make it into the indexHere is the item related to P0770 from the Matrix manual. Not much help really, says check the lock up solenoid, then start taking the tranny apart. It is possible that a good flush might fix it if soem crud is stuck somewhere, and depending on if/when it was done before, might be good anyway even if it doesn/t fix the problem. If that doesn't, then maybe try the shift solenoid test and if that checks good, then I'd say take it to a tranny shop. Since its a tranny code, maybe the car could still pass smog testing, don't know how they do it out there. If you get the code cleared, how quickly does it come back. Is there enough time between clearing the code and it coming back that you might be able to get the car inspected? If so, then you can do that and keep the car on the road while you continue to chase the CEL

Attached files cip0770.pdf (12.3 KB) 
joatmon

Re

Post by joatmon »

here's another one showing the approximate location of the shift solenoid

Attached files parloc40.pdf (44.1 KB) 
CaliManDan

Re: (joatmon)

Post by CaliManDan »

Here in California, the car won't even be able to pass smog if the CEL is lit up. It doesn't matter what it's for, if the light is on, the car automatically fails. I disconnected the battery yesterday and the light came back on within 15 minutes so I don't think I'd have enough time to clear the light and then take it to the smog shop.You mentioned the tranny might have to be taken apart...that worries me. When I hear that, I start thinking time and labor and of course that means it will be expensive. This is my gf's car and she needs to pay for her new registration tags but she can't until she gets her car smogged but she can't pass smog until this light issue is fixed and now it seems like it might be a big expensive problem
RAYB911

Re: CEL Problem....4 different codes showing.

Post by RAYB911 »

Shift silinoid e is your # 2 overdrive silinoid the fix is drop your pan, pull your filter out and your no 2 shift silinoid check for washer in pan and rebuild silinoid or replace it and install new filter and if its a all-wheel drive your fluid will be T1V that if your tranny is a u341F.