pics of TRD strut brace for 09.

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
vibedrivermatt

pics of TRD strut brace for 09.

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Hello I bought a TRD strut brace for 09/10 and put it on my car today. I've been wanting to get this thing for a while and finally got it. I figured I should post some pics of it in case anyone else is interested in it. Here they are!view from bottom you can see how the parts are joined together it has an aluminum TRD emblem. looks nice. comes with protective plastic covering.among the various stuff that gets removed so you can fit a torque wrench it there. its the wiper motor and linkage assembly!what it looks like after done. kinda disappointed it had to get partially covered by all the plastic cowling pieces but oh well. Still looks good.
dgekiere

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09. (vibedrivermatt)

Post by dgekiere »

thats purrrrdy have you driven with it yet
2003 VIBE GT, CONVERTING TO RALLY CAR. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=463112004 vibe gt magnaflow catback exhaust (bought totaled 9/06 with 1600 miles, fixed it and in love ever since2004 HONDA CBR1000RRASE Master certified mechanic
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

With all the handling modifications, have you noticed a difference?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibenvy

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09. (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibenvy »

Wow! That looks nice! Did you have the factory strut brace thingy or no?If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the TRD one and where did you get it from?I like the looks of this one more than the factory one.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Wow! That looks great! Nice addition to the engine bay.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
vibedrivermatt

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09. (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Wow! That looks nice! Did you have the factory strut brace thingy or no?If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the TRD one and where did you get it from?I like the looks of this one more than the factory one.There was no factory strut brace in there before I put this in. Im unaware of a factory strut brace if there is one available but my guess is that in isn't one. This cost $176 or about $188 after tax and shipping. It seemed kinda pricey for what what it is which is why I held off on buying it for so long.After getting it though I wasn't disappointed with the quality. Seems like its pretty high quality.
hskater26

Post by hskater26 »

nice looks good
-2003 Base Vibe-2002 Ducati ST2
vibedrivermatt

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09. (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Quote, originally posted by ou.grizzly »With all the handling modifications, have you noticed a difference? you know there has been. The only other thing I have installed is the TRD rear sway bar though. I can honestly say there's a difference. Just feels more solid. To me its quite apparent that the front of the car is stiffer.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »There was no factory strut brace in there before I put this in. Im unaware of a factory strut brace if there is one available but my guess is that in isn't one. This cost $174 or about $184 with tax and shipping. It seemed kinda pricey for what what it is which is why I held off on buying it for so long.After getting it though I wasn't disappointed with the quality. Seems like its pretty high quality.Oh okay. It must be a GT thing than? Here's what I'm referring to:The factory bar is kind of goofy looking. The TRD one would definitely add some more color and a sportier look to the engine bay. You got me considering getting one now !How hard was it to remove all the things you had to remove to install it? Could you possibly do a how-to for everything you had to remove?On a bit of a side note, the rear sway bar you also have installed will not work on an '09-'10 GT correct?Thanks in advance.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

ohhh look at that! there is a factory strut brace. Yup your right, the TRD rear sway bar wont fit the GT. Sure I can do a how-to on it. If anything maybe some helpful info could be shared and I have a lot more pictures. Just give me a few days. Its pretty simple to do.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It must be a GT thing than. Well that certainlys sucks about the rear sway bar . Oh well, less $ to spend I guess I am definitely considering getting the strut brace to "dress up" the engine bay a bit though.A how-to would be great! Thanks a ton!
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

I kind of have mixed emotions on a strut brace. Since your tien in the strut towers will it eventually cause undue stress on other body components.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
bull77

Post by bull77 »

wow looks really good under the hood Quote, originally posted by vibedrivermatt »among the various stuff that gets removed so you can fit a torque wrench it there. its the wiper motor and linkage assembly!i guess its not a straight bolt on like the older gen vibes. I can't see in the pics where theres an issue gettign a wrench in.
vibenvy

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09. (bull77)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by TONY TAT2 »I kind of have mixed emotions on a strut brace. Since your tien in the strut towers will it eventually cause undue stress on other body components.People use strut tower braces all the time with no ill effects. They don't put that much stress on anything else.Quote, originally posted by bull77 »i guess its not a straight bolt on like the older gen vibes. I can't see in the pics where theres an issue gettign a wrench in. Even a wrench is a tight fit. It might not look like it, but it is. I was going to remove the factory "strut tower brace" when I installed my K&N intake so I had more room to move around and such, I could barely get a wrench in there to loosen the bolts. I got the bolts loosened, but wasn't able to actually remove it because I guess you need to remove all the stuff that Matt removed .
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

yeah right J-to envy. I also removed all that stuff because I wanted to torque the nuts to spec and didn't even try to get them with an open ended wrench. From what you said looks like to get them out you have to remove all that stuff anyways.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Awesome! Can't wait for the how-to. Now I just need to decide when to order the strut tower brace .
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yeah, I had discussed the factory one with some friends and that's what we were talking about was that it seemed like it compresses and such. So, do you think the factory one actually performs better than the solid TRD one would?
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Well good question really. The oem strut bar may be better from an engineering standpoint meant to get long life out of a car because the OEM strut bar is flexible and could be easier on the car over a long period of time. This sorta brings into question what Tony Tat2 was saying about the strut brace causing undue stress on body parts of the car, which I'll be honest wasn't one of my considerations when buying the strut brace.from a performance standpoint though its accepted that you get better performance from a stiffer chassis, which is what the TRD strut brace is meant to do, so I guess its up to the owner really whats most important.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yeah, I think for now anyway, I am going to stick with the factory one. If I have to take it to the dealer for any reason I don't want them giving me a hard time about it. If it was easier to put on and take off I would get it and switch it out if I had to take it to the dealer, but it obviously takes a little more work so that would be a PITA.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

Yeah I just warn people about the warranty coverage thing in the how-to because our 09/10 cars are still so new. That would be lame if somebody ended up having warranty troubles without expecting it.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yeah. The warranty is what's stopping me from getting it. If it were simple to install and un-install like most cars, I would go ahead and get it and just remove it if I had to take it to the dealer, but since it's more complicated I think I'll just stick with the factory one for now. Maybe two years from now when my warranty's up I'll get one .
vibenvy

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09.

Post by vibenvy »

I replaced the OEM front strut brace on my 2009 Vibe GT with a TRD front strut brace today. The installation was alot easier than I thought it would be. It's tedious because of all the parts and bolts that have to be removed, but it's definitely not a hard installation. I didn't encounter any issues and the entire installation went really smoothly and only took about an hour from start to finish, including doing some cleaning under the cowl pieces before re-installing them. I also decided to removed the TRD badge as I'm not a fan of badges, logos, etc.

The TRD front strut brace not only looks much better than the goofy looking OEM one, but it weighs about half as much and since it's one piece as opposed to the three piece OEM one, it should provide much more ridgidity and thus better handling.
vibenvy

Re: pics of TRD strut brace for 09.

Post by vibenvy »

I drove the Vibe today and could immediately tell a difference in the handling. It feels much more "solid" and the body roll is greatly reduced when turning or going through a curve. Definitely a huge improvement in ridgidity over the OEM damper-style strut brace.