2004 broken antenna base

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
cthomasparr

2004 broken antenna base

Post by cthomasparr »

Hi, I am brand new to this forum. Just picked up a 2004 Vibe yesterday. The owner said the radio worked on and off. kind of mysteriously. After taking it home I noticed that the antenna was broken.Anyway, after looking at this forum, I realize that my base is broken (there is no chrome thing to screw a new mast into. I know that I need to remove the headliner to replace the entire unit. I will be looking for used antennas as well as a front license plate bracket, but I was wondering....If I need to get get a new one from a dealer and am paying big bucks for the base and mast, is there a better aftermarket alternative. Maybe one that works as well or better and is hinged??? Thanks,Chris
Raven

Re: 2004 broken antenna base (cthomasparr)

Post by Raven »

I just replaced my base a couple of months ago. I got a used antenna and base for $20.00 on Ebay. The base has an amplifier built into it and only OEM will work although it may be cheaper from a Toyota (Matrix) dealer if buying new. I tried using aftermarket "shorty" antennas but found I lost the signal must more quickly in outlying areas. The antenna is very common and is used on Toyota, VW etc.P.S. Welcome aboard.
Herb

Post by Herb »

I accidentally snapped off my antenna at the base a few years back:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=5967
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
cthomasparr

Re: 2004 broken antenna base (Herb)

Post by cthomasparr »

Raven,Thanks for the advice about the amplification on teh OEM unit. Do you know if the VW actually uses the same part? If that's true, it would help with finding a used one. Hopefully I will get lucky on Ebay or in a junk yard.Herb,I found your post here earlier and that was a great picture of the broken base. Mine looks very similar but without the wire. I found another link with pictures of the headliner out. If you know of a step by step to remove the headliner with pictures, please pass that along. Otherwise I will have to put one togehter when I do it myself.Thanks for the quick responses. I was kind of cursing the engineers that put the antenna there until I read that it can be removed.
Herb

Post by Herb »

For removing the headliner, I used the instructions posted here:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=4600There wasn't a step by step photo directions, but the text instructions were sufficient for me to figure it out. I even posted some photos after I removed the headliner in that thread. I wish I had thought about taking photos as I was doing it though.Good luck!
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Raven

Post by Raven »

I was referring to the mast being common, I'm not sure about the base.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

You don't have to drop the whole headliner. When I installed my Sirius antenna, I just dropped the back of the head liner so I could reach in and disconnect my stock antenna. Then I routed my Sirius antenna down the stock antenna hole.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

Thanks K-Nine. I will definitely start with the headliner from the rear forward.
cthomasparr

Re: Replaced Antenna Last Night

Post by cthomasparr »

I replaced the antenna mast last night. I was able to get the new part in and finish up in under two hours. The pictures I took came out kind of crappy, so I will just list the steps that I took to replace the part. My goal was to remove the headliner as little as is possible to get the job done.First things first. I suggest that you buy or borrow a cheap set of moulding removal tools. I picked one up from harbor freight for about $5. They are an assortment of plastic pry bars. Some have a notch like a tool to pull nails. That works great on the cheapo plastic buttons. I also had a mirror that I could use to see the antenna nut... It was not visible with the little amount of headliner that I removed. I am pretty comfortable working on touch alone, so if you are not, you might want to consider dropping the entire headliner as you will need to remove at least half.Secondly, the headliner material is not much better than a thin sheet of styrofoam. Go slowly and never force it or it will crack.Step one ( remove two cheapo plastic buttons to the left and right of rear hatch light. I used the plastic pry bar tool to gently get between the headliner and button and then used my weight to pull them straight down. I don't recommend using the tool to pry them out... or you may crack the headliner.The rear quarter panels were next. Each has an upper and lower section. It looks like the original assembly order was upper was put on first and then lower. I was able to completely remove the upper section without removing the entire lower section.remove the upper cargo bolts on the lower section... I left the lower ones alone. pry the upper part away from the car starting at the part closest to the hatch. Put a pry bar between the headliner and plastic panel and pull straight out toward the other quarter panel. They popped out smoothly. as you pop out this panel toward the front, you will notice that the rear seatbelt mount must be removed. Pry off the front cover with a screw driver. The front cover hinge is at the top and the place where you pry is just above the belt fabric. You will see the seam in the plastic where you pry. As the entire uppper section was loose, but stil connected to the lower section, I removed the storage door on the lower section and used that to gently pull the top of the lower section away from the car. Once the top of the lower section is loose, you can separate the upper section from the lower and place it asideDo the same on the other side of the car. The hand grip for the back passengers also needed to be removed. you can access the screws by driving the flat edge of a screwdriver into the crack on both sides of the handle. The covers are hinged on teh side that touches the headliner and when you drive a screwdriver at the side farthest from teh headliner it pops lose. The two bolts there were 10mm, I think.The only things holding back the headliner now are the rear hatch light and the rear door rubber moulding. The rear hatch light is connected to the body with two metal tabs. They are on either end of the light and diagonally across from each other. You need to pry off the platic cover with a plastic pry bar (should come off easily). Find those two tabs and move them toward the center as you pull down. I got one side to cooperate first and then had some understanding how they worked. The light stays in the headliner as the whole thing comes down.The toughest part I found was the next step. You have to free the headliner from the rubber moulding on the rear doors. I made the mistake of trying to pry back the rubber and get the headliner out. What I found was MUCH EASIER was to pry the rubber moulding away from teh body and remove the part that holds the headliner. The moulding snaps onto the body and removing/replacing was very easy. I removed this moulding by twisting it down from the outside in. It popped lose very easily and I temporaril removed the top of both sides that was touching the headliner and left the moulding hanging for a while.I also removed the passenger seat belt mount and pryed the B-pillar moulding away from the headliner for a little more room. Not sure if that was necessary.Next post about replacing mount.
cthomasparr

Re: Replaced Antenna Last Night (cthomasparr)

Post by cthomasparr »

With the headliner hanging, I was able to reach under and touch the nut that held in the base in place. The nut that holds the base is pretty big. My 19MM would not fit. I found a standard oxygen sensor removal tool that fits on a wratchet fit this well. I unfortunately don't have the size for that with me...Before I removed the nut, I followed the electrical wire and saw that it went through 4 plastic wire holder loop things. There were two as it ran toward that passenger side quarter panel that were difficult to see and two more right above the passenger rear quarter window that were visible. The connections for the new base are right above the front of the passenger quarter window and could be pulled slightly below the headliner to make replacement easier. I freed the old wire from the mounting clips, detached the antenna wire and harness clip, loosened the old base's nut and pulled the base and wire out. The base is attached with two metallic clips that pretty easily bent as I pulled it out. I tried to push them in with a screw driver...but could not. The base also got hung up on the wire, which is bent at a 90 degree angle. When that was straightened out.. the wire pulled out easily.The wires for the new base were threaded through the hole. the base snapped into the hole in the roof and did not turn at all. Snap the wires into the clips and attach the antenna wire and harness. bend the wire at 90 degrees just below the roof, so that the nut can be threaded on. I used the oxygen sensor tool to turn the nut tight by hand. This tool has a nub on the side where a socket fits in... so I was able to make it pretty tight. not sure if I would use a wrench, because the nut has a couple of prongs that will enventually mark the sheet metal in the roof.... but I made it as tight as I could by hand with this small tool.Install of the headliner is the reverse of removal. I still have to replace the two cheap plastic pins. I will look for new pins just so I don't worry about those loosening up.Good luck.Thread the new
Capt.Vibe

Re: 2004 broken antenna base

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Ugh, sorry for bumping a 6 year old thread, I think I just broke my antenna base. Someone tried to steal my antenna but it was rusted on so they broke the antenna mast trying to unscrew and left this on the base (see pic) I tried to remove it but it wouldn't turn so I pulled it out. It is still stuck solid. How different is the base for the 2010 from the previous gen? The above instructions seem extremely confusing without photos. Did a search, but couldn't find anything. Has anyone tried this on a second gen? Any help or service manual pics would be very helpful. Not too happy right now..

[url=http://postimage.org/]
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Capt.Vibe wrote:How different is the base for the 2010 from the previous gen?
I had a first gen Matrix and a second gen Vibe. As far as I can tell from exterior appearances, they are identical. To remove the antenna, you need to drop the headliner and use a big socket (21mm IIRC). Alternatively you can rip the old base off and put a sharkfin antenna on instead, at the expense of radio reception.
2009 Vibe Base
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I second the sharkfin suggestion. Our local stations all suck except La Caliente anyway; not sure how your local ones are. I guess it depends on how bad you want to listen to your radio vs. how willing you are to pull the headliner. In the newer camrys, you have to remove almost all of the interior, including seats and all of the side trim. Not sure how bad it is in the Vibe, but I know you'll need to pull the rear side trim, and to remove that, you'll have to remove the spare trim, and it doesn't come out easily without plastic fastener removal pry bars.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Just going to leave a quick update on my broken antenna base. Had to get it done, the radio stations were simply impossible to listen to with constant interference of even small buildings and short tunnels.

Showed it to my mechanic when I was in for an oil change. Told me to buy a new base and bring it in. Picked up part number 19184460 $52.75 (which I was told has been discontinued) and brought it in. All I can say is it took my tech about 40-45 minutes start to finish. It is not as complicated as listed above as I watched the hole thing since he did outside the shop. The instructions above scared me away.

First off were the 2 button on the roof liner, he just pull down enough to see the nut holding the base to the roof. Then the rear courtesy light came off, with a plastic trim removal tool, 2 clips hold it together to pull down the roof liner even further down for more room. Then the trim panel, on the right rear quarter, 2 bolts holding the panel and grocery bag hooks to remove. Then pry off both trim parts top and bottom exposing the connector. He then removed the old base, plugged the new base into it's connector on the top of the quarter panel trim and bolted it down. The trickiest part was getting the nut that holds the base to grab and not cross thread, as there is not a lot of room to get proper grip and leverage, but eventually it hooked up. He then reattached and cleaned everything up and I now have my radio back.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

Dear cthomasparr, apparently the rooftop aerial is subject to rust. It suddenly fell off my Vibe on Saturday! My impression is that if the base is still there, all I have to do is screw in a new mast. Is that correct or is there more to it?
rmacnamara

Post by rmacnamara »

coppens1 wrote:Dear cthomasparr, apparently the rooftop aerial is subject to rust. It suddenly fell off my Vibe on Saturday! My impression is that if the base is still there, all I have to do is screw in a new mast. Is that correct or is there more to it?
If it fell off it is likely the base is trash. Just did one today and the base was junk. It's easy to replace the whole thing. Rockauto.Com has everything and cheap to do the whole job.
2003 Red 5 Speed (sold)
2003 Black Auto (selling)
2004 Black Auto ( sold)
2004 White Auto AWD (wifes daily)
2006 Black GT 6 Speed (sold)
2009 Red AWD (family vehicle)
RockVibe

Post by RockVibe »

Thanks cthomasparr for the excellent write up on replacing the base. Took me about an hour as I was going slow as not to tear my headliner.
In the past I've replaced the antenna with non oem and the only way to go is to stick with GM Delco OEM replacements.
Yeah they cost more but guaranteed to work as new.
Attachments
06 Vibe Ant Base new.jpg
06 Vibe Ant Base new.jpg (173.37 KiB) Viewed 4383 times