Transmission finally broke, I think

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Whelan

Transmission finally broke, I think

Post by Whelan »

Somethin was bound to happen sooner or later, it's just my luck. Last night at a light, I go to step on the gas and BANG! The ABS light comes on, the TPMS is flashing and the car is still going but feels like it's slipping. As in I am hitting the gas but the car is not giving me the normal pull I should feel at the particular RPM. I pull into a gas station around the corner and the car is grinding now. It sounds like there are just big pieces grinding in my transmission causing it to buck and stagger. I had it flatbedded to my shop to see what the heck happened.Thoughts? It feels like the transmission is dislodged or dropped. Nothing under the car that is protruding or fell off.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
joatmon

Re: Transmission finally broke, I think (Whelan)

Post by joatmon »

hopefully it's a CV joint and not the tranny or transfer case. DId it make those terrible sounds when stopped, or only when moving?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Thoughts? It feels like the transmission is dislodged or dropped. Nothing under the car that is protruding or fell off.Usually when the transmission goes out it looks just fine underneath the car.I hope it isn't the tranny and something much simpler.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Whelan

Re: Transmission finally broke, I think (lovemyraffe)

Post by Whelan »

It makes the sounds only when moving. When I'm stopped and I shift to neutral nothing, park nothing. In gear sitting still nothing happens either. Only when I step on the gas it seems to be the worst.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Hook up a scanner and find the code. That will give us more details.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

no scanner, I had AAA tow it to my family friends shop, he is looking at it today, should have some kind of answer by later.Who knows, it could be time to get a different car. If it is the tranny, the cost to fix it is so high based on what I have left to pay on the car I may just take what I can for it and pay down the loan and carry over to a new car.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

***UPDATE***I'm breathing again, really didn't want to buy a new car. Apparently my Right axle snapped. He was looking for a rebuilt one but they don't have them yet apparently. Has to go to Toyota, so he is getting me the part plus labor under $700. Thank God!!!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Good to hear that the damage isn't fatal.
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Oh well, I was looking into the Mazda 3 hatch. Either the MS3 or the S Grand Touring in white w/ black leather. Mmmmm. I'm impressed the new 3 comes standard with 167hp. That's a good # compared to competition.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Oh well, I was looking into the Mazda 3 hatch. Either the MS3 or the S Grand Touring in white w/ black leather. Mmmmm. I'm impressed the new 3 comes standard with 167hp. That's a good # compared to competition.I was going to look at the MS3 before I purchased the new 09 Vibe AWD. Chech em out. $700 does seem a bit high for an axle; do you know what else it entails?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Whelan

Re: Transmission finally broke, I think (ou.grizzly)

Post by Whelan »

Axles goes for $500 from Toyota, unfortunately they cannot be found much cheaper because no rebuilts are near enough to me. So they are getting the part from the dealer across the street from them and installing tomorrow. That total cost is with labor. So it most likely is under that amount.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Man, what a bummer...What could cause an axle to break?
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Axles goes for $500 from Toyota, unfortunately they cannot be found much cheaper because no rebuilts are near enough to me. So they are getting the part from the dealer across the street from them and installing tomorrow. That total cost is with labor. So it most likely is under that amount.That has to be list price, not cost. It can be obtained for a lot less than that! I just checked AutoZone's Website and a Cardone Reman is going for $135 including the core.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

was it a front or rear axle?If you didn't have the AWD, a broken axle or CV would have left you unable to move at all
northvibe

Re: Transmission finally broke, I think (joatmon)

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »was it a front or rear axle?If you didn't have the AWD, a broken axle or CV would have left you unable to move at allhahah I was gonna say the same thing. good thing you had awd to limp you to a gas station.Ms3 ftw!! :D dang I miss that car. Nothing like 250whp 260wtorq in a luxury wagon, stock
Whelan

Re: Transmission finally broke, I think (northvibe)

Post by Whelan »

I guess I could say AWD FTW again!I'm getting it back today I believe right before we are supposed to get somekind of worthwhile snowfall. Can't wait!He said I may have cracked it sometime in the last few months and the cold temps may have contributed to it's failure after that. Can't recall when it would have happened though, don't know of any curbs or rough hits I encountered lately.As for the rest of the car, he asked my father if it was my car, he replied yes and inquired why. Guy (that is his real name) said that the car was very well maintained. WHOOP!
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

dunno if ive heard of a axle snap on a vibe/matrix...not enough torq hahah jk
Jims08Vibe

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Jims08Vibe »

I was thinking, torque vs. load vs. conditionsie; many sharp turns under hard acceleration ,heavy pay load and bumpy road or curb ? while I like to be spirited in my driving I keep in mind that this is an econo box and it is just not made for this.now my ex car was surley capable and did complete the above,2005Crown Vic P/I 3.73 gear, limited slip,chipped and ecm tweaked,cold air intake,polished and ported GT heads,31spline drive shaft with loop cause it was aluminum,governor disabled (was 118@mph) 159mph track tested, Lime Rock oh yea fuel guzzler
Not just gramma's car K&N air filterCold air intake (using only OEM parts)Xenon headlampsEnkei rims (for the summer)