Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
mhcgjl

Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR

Post by mhcgjl »

The windshield on my Vibe is freezing on the INTERIOR of the car when it is cold outside. Has anyone had this occur..and if so, what did you do about it?Thanks!
ou.grizzly

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (mhcgjl)

Post by ou.grizzly »

What year vibe, how many miles, any issues with any leaks or the hvac sysetem? Where are the vent settings at when exiting the vehicle for the night?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Do you mean when you come out in the morning the frost is on the inside?If you you've got the ice forming after you get home and the windows are closed, you've got moisture problems IN the car. The floor mats are sopping wet or there is a puddle somewhere inside that is raising the inside humidity up high and then at night it frosts on the inside, the same process that causes frost on the outside on cold nights. Condensation forming and then temps dropping.Find the wet spot / spots and fix them. Leaky windshield? wet floor mats / carpet, bad heater core or bad heater connection, plugged AC condensation drain hose, whatever.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
patrickogrady

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (djkeev)

Post by patrickogrady »

What Dave just said. Find the moisture and eliminate it if possible. I have the same thing when I leave too much snow/ice on the mats, it evaporates when the car is warmed up and re-freezes at night. Dump your mats regularly (you aren't using carpet floor mats in the winter are you?!) I also leave my window open a crack to let moisture escape, so long as it's not raining/blizzard outside.
Whelan

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (patrickogrady)

Post by Whelan »

Get yourself some lava rocks or one of those little foam filled containers. That should help out.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jake75

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (Whelan)

Post by jake75 »

I think it would of great help if all members listed their year, model, and options as part of their signature.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
MrsGart

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (Whelan)

Post by MrsGart »

Or run your Defroster. This uses the AC which can be used in colder tems. I've got a 2005 in WI and never had this problem, but I run the AC (with the temp up) to dry out the air in the car.Best of luck. In the olden days, we'd keep a credit type card in the car to scrape the inside window while driving. That was in my old car without air conditioner
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I have no A/C in my Vibe. The windshield will only fog up when it's really cold (-15C) or when I sit in it idling too long right after starting it. Once driving, fan setting 3 and foot/defrost setting quickly remove any fog/ice that may form.You can't use the recirc setting when on defrost or foot/defrost. Older Vibes might be able to and I've learned from past autos that any setting with cold/rain and recirc = fog!Oh yeah, don't breath too hard on the windshield...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

when mine start frosting up badly i try and make sure the mat doesn't have a lot of snow on it. i also try and clean the windows. i find that the dirty ones fog and frost a lot more than clean ones.
None. Vibe is gone.
Blueridge9

Re: Windshield Freezing on INTERIOR (tribalman)

Post by Blueridge9 »

Here's another possible cause of moisture:My Vibe's floor was getting wet fogging up the interior and we looked EVERYWHERE until our friend found that some debris had plugged the drain lines above in the front of the SUNROOF!
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mixer

Post by mixer »

I found that my sunroof seal leaks a little which allows for water to collect on the black plastic tray. This tray is there for this reason. It directs the water to the drain tubes that are literally plumbed out of the vehicle. This collected water (ice in winter from thawing and freezing) also contributes to interior moisture. The Pontiac dealership said this is actually a common problem on many cars. I did get some time on a nice "warm" day to clean the seal and where it seats at and took a little vaseline and coated the seal. It does help but you will have to retract the sunroof back to get the front half. Close it and raise it up to get the rear.
04 Vibe "SS" (Pontiac Dealer/Owner project),"SS"/TRD GraphicsTRD Tuned by Toyota (Dealership)Vibrant Strutbar,Polished Stainless Muffler Spectre Modular CAI- Body ColorBody Color Engine Cover w/Grafxwerks reflective overlayStellar Alarm System, Sony Xplod "GIGA PANEL" Blacked Out Z-24 15" rims w/ Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

Another possibility is an anti fog agent has been applied to the glass or it could be similar componant in a glass cleaner. These agents work by adsorbing moisture in the air but at below freezing becomes frost. My girlfriend G3 came from the dealer with this stuff all over the glass and needed to be stripped with IPA then soap and water. Stopped after that.Also dirt and airborne road grime built up on the inside of the glass surfaces can also attract any moisture in the air.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

If the moisture seems to start in one area of the windshield and spread out from there, I would have to guess that you have a leak in the butyl caulk the glues the windshield glass in. I have seen and heard about this before. Either a bad installation originally, or since the glass is actually structural to a vehicle these days, it might have come loose over time as the car flexes over uneven road surfaces and bumps.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Frost on the inside of the windshield has been a recurring problem in Vibes, not one everyone has run into, but it seems to have been coming up in the forums every winter since genvibe's first winter http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=1943
MountainMax

Post by MountainMax »

My 09 does this since I had to remove my floor mat, the carpet is soaking up all of the snow/water off your boots now, they might end up replacing my carpet when it's all done when they finally fix the recall problem
.Fully Loaded 2009 Black Vibe 1SC with 2.4 Litre Manual TrannyCheck her out at My Cardomain page link below:http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3157869