New Member! New (Old) Vibe!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DCViber

New Member! New (Old) Vibe!

Post by DCViber »

Hi - I just bought my first car ever which happens to be the first Vibe ever! I picked up a 2003 salsa Vibe with 75,000 miles that was seriously doted on by its first and only owner (before me). It's waiting for me at the dealership. Though soon enough I'm going to drive it 1,100 miles in two days in the winter. Umm, it will make it, right?
epcIII

Re: New Member! New (Old) Vibe! (DCViber)

Post by epcIII »

Welcome and congrats! If you drive safely, the Vibe will treat you well in the winter. In the colder climates, a lot of members put on snow tires for it to handle better. At 70,000 miles you shouldn't have the original tires, but if you do by chance--get rid of them 'cause they really suck. I've taken my Vibe across country a couple of times with no problem.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by DCViber »Hi - I just bought my first car ever which happens to be the first Vibe ever! I picked up a 2003 salsa Vibe with 75,000 miles that was seriously doted on by its first and only owner (before me). It's waiting for me at the dealership. Though soon enough I'm going to drive it 1,100 miles in two days in the winter. Umm, it will make it, right? Congrats!So you've got chassis number 00000001 ??
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
L5K

Post by L5K »

It better make it. There's someone here who has a Vibe with like over 300k miles on it...
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
DCViber

Re: New Member! New (djkeev)

Post by DCViber »

I don't even know what a chassis number is. But let's just say sure - why not. My vibe is the first vibe of all the vibes! I will name it Adam, or maybe Eve?
808 Vibes

Re: New Member! New (DCViber)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Welcome and congrats! Quote, originally posted by DCViber »I don't even know what a chassis number is. He means the VIN #. If not, what do you mean by the "first Vibe"???
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
ajb812

Post by ajb812 »

Congrats and welcome!

2009 Pontiac Vibe GT Jet Black Metallic
GenVibe Garage
joatmon

Re: New Member! New (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by HawaiiPontiacLover »Welcome and congrats! He means the VIN #. If not, what do you mean by the "first Vibe"???I took it to mean that its a 2003, which was the first model year ever.fwiw the last five digits of the VIN are like a counter, the 2003 vibe with those last five as 00001 would have a claim to be the first production vibe ever.
djkeev

Re: New Member! New (joatmon)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »I took it to mean that its a 2003, which was the first model year ever.fwiw the last five digits of the VIN are like a counter, the 2003 vibe with those last five as 00001 would have a claim to be the first production vibe ever. Brings up an interesting search. WHO does have the FIRST Vibe closest to 00001 that frequents this site?? Only 2003 owners can play this game but it would be interesting.
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
DCViber

Re: New Member! New (ajb812)

Post by DCViber »

I meant the first model year. My last five on the VIN would make it more like 60,500.
joatmon

Re: New Member! New (djkeev)

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Brings up an interesting search. WHO does have the FIRST Vibe closest to 00001 that frequents this site?? Only 2003 owners can play this game but it would be interesting.The first part of that is easier to figure out, on page 4 of http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=824 eh_clark says he has Vibe # 00167. The second part is harder, limiting it to those that frequent the site. I'll leave that to you as homework There's also http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=2479DCViber - welcome to genvibe. You said it's waiting for you at the dealer, when do you get to drive it home? Are you in the city proper? Just want to make sure you have a place to park it It should do fine in the winter. By now it should have a replacement battery. How well it does on snow and ice depends to a huge extent on the tires. What options does the car have? If you drive a lot in the city, an auto tranny would come in handy.
DCViber

Post by DCViber »

It's at the dealership until Christmas. I bought it in Nebraska and will be driving it to DC after the holiday.The dealer still has it online here with all the specs: http://www.plazaomaha.com/VehicleDetail ... 3Installed features:Featured EquipmentAutomatic TransmissionAir ConditioningCD Player in DashPower Door LocksPower WindowsTachometerCruise ControlCloth UpholsteryDeluxe Wheel CoversRear Window WiperBucket SeatsFog LampsDaytime Running LightsAuto Express Down WindowRemote Trunk ReleaseRoof RackPower MirrorsKeyless Entry SystemIlluminated Entry SystemDual Air BagsI am concerned about not having ABS - though I guess it's not like it snows and gets icy that much in DC. I've only ever owned a car in Nebraska, where it's icy 4-5 months a year.I'm not sure on the battery - I will have to check that when I get back. It does have newer tires and I assume ones that were good for snow since the owner lived in Nebraska.I do live in DC proper, meaning I'll be street parking. I'll also have a 24/7 garage at work where I can park it as needed.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Congrats and welcome!
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

cool...your inaugural drive will be 1100miles! at least its already broken in welcome to the family
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
03VibeOttawa

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Welcome! glad to see another '03 Salsa 2tone getting some love...Nice car!!!
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
DCViber

Re: New Member! New (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by DCViber »

So after a month-long wait, I finally picked up my Vibe! Then... it immediately snowed 18 inches. The Vibe has only traveled about 3 miles in as many days. I can't even tinker around in the back because it's in my parents' garage an there isn't room to maneuver.On Monday the Vibe and I start our 1100 mile trek back to the east coast from snowy middle America. Anyone have an opinion on the I-80 northern route v. the I-74/I-70 southern route?
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

congratulations on finally getting itlooks like the I-80 route is about 40 miles shorter, but will also skirt the great lakes, where you are more likely to run into snow (that lake effect thing). I'd say check the weather forecast for a few key cities on each route and decide Monday morning
clbrfan

Post by clbrfan »

About the route I live in springfield mo and my family live in cleveland oh just went up there 2 weeks ago. I have driven 44 to 70 to 71 about 9 times. My only experience with 70 is in between st louis and columbus, basically a really boring drive but you can speed, there are really no big cities in illinois on 70 i averaged betwween 78 to 83 mph(speed limit 65) economy wasnt that great in my 09 vibe but still got around 30mpg. and about the same in indiana but you do have to slow down a bit around indianapolis. If you take this route fill up before illlinios 10 to 20 cents more a gallon than missuroi or indiana. cheapest gas i saw in indiana was at exit 66 off of 70 it would be right before you get to indianapolis. good luck and hope you have cruise control because i didnt and it would have been great to have it still kicking myself for not spending the extra grand on cc pw and pl
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

You made a great car find and it will be a great trip... except for the weather. I-80 or I-70 can get nasty this time of year. Make sure you keep up with the latest weather reports. Just drove our Vibe to the D.C. area for Christmas. Good weather down, but nasty weather, pouring rain, all the way back. Very intense. Found the Vibe a good car to travel long distance trips.Right now (Sunday night at 11 pm) there's an area of snow from eastern Ohio south through West Virginia, into eastern Kentucky, headed our way here in Maine. Hopefully you'll get to slot in behind it, and stay ahead of the next storm. Good luck!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Salsa is such a great colour!!! If Pontiac kept that shade of Red, we would have it instead of a black.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibolista

Re: New Member! New (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibolista »

Salsa is also good with tortilla chips!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
DCViber

Re: New Member!

Post by DCViber »

I'm in Nebraska now and drove all around in the snow yesterday - the Vibe handled it well! I think based on the weather I'm going to opt for the 74 to 70 route - across Iowa on 80 today, cut south across Illinois on 74 and into Indiana for 70, then across Ohio tomorrow, and I'm overnighting in Pittsburgh tomorrow night before DC on Wednesday. Looks like I should have some sun to drive in tomorrow.Thanks for the tips on gas! Will fill up in Iowa.
DCViber

Re: New Member! New (clbrfan)

Post by DCViber »

Oh, and yes on the cruise control - thank goodness!
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Welcome to the Vibedom and good luck on driving the new Vibe home to DC. So you're stopping in Pittsburgh. I LOVE the way Pittsburgh is all lit up at night and all the water views from the bridges.When you stop for gas you might also check the tire pressure since you'll get better mileage if your tires are properly inflated. You might also get familiar with where the hazard button is (on the dash) in case you have to stop suddenly and don't want to get rear-ended.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DCViber

Post by DCViber »

Made it back to Washington, DC! Put 1,100 miles on the Vibe. Took 80-74-70 then 68-70-270-435. Only problem is a small windshield nick thanks to the copious amounts of sand on every road I drove. Getting that fixed today. Also parked on the street and can't quite handle it. I think I love my car too much. First thing I did after unloading was wash it... on the street... in 35 degree weather... without a hose.Seems like I was getting 30-32mpg going about 75 the whole way.
Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

So glad to read that you got the new Vibe home safely and that you are loving it enough to wash it in the COLD weather.Happy 2010.
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;