Reinterment (reburial) of unknown Civil War soldier in Tennessee (warning: picture heavy)

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
epcIII

Reinterment (reburial) of unknown Civil War soldier in Tennessee (warning: picture heavy)

Post by epcIII »

Today I got to go to the reburial of a Civil War soldier that was accidentally dug up during construction in Franklin, TN (the Battle of Franklin was one of the last major battles of the Civil War). There was no gravestone or marker and was not known which side he fought for, so re-enactors of both sides helped in the burial. Here's a link with good pictures and explanation: http://www.tennessean.com/arti...tten+ The great thing was that there were 2 actual sons of Civil War soldiers from the North and South there--and they were sitting together. The whole ceremony was done very reverently and was pretty moving. Here's some pictures:The cemetery where he was buried: His monument: His casket with both flags on it, which were both folded and presented (really neat how they did it). Here's a link to the video of it also:http://s969.photobucket.com/al...2.flv : The two old men sitting down together are actual sons of soldiers from the war (I think one was 97 and the other 91): The kids were cute and the re-enactors were neat: Cub Scouts representing!: Gun salute: Lowering of the casket (they used a pine casket). Amazing Grace was played by a bugler: Okay, I know a lot of pics--sorry. It was really neat to be there and to be reminded how great our country is, how we haved healed from such a messy war, and how many people have died in the armed forces for us.One of the coolest things they did, since they didn't know what state he was from, was to have actual Civil War descendants place dirt from each state involved in the conflict on the casket. Here's a link to the video: http://s969.photobucket.com/al...2.flv
Kari

Post by Kari »

Really cool...I'm sure it was a very moving experience. Thanks for sharing.
GenVibe Global Moderator
keithvibe

Re: Reinterment (epcIII)

Post by keithvibe »

Great post!now contact your state reps and have your voice heard so they don't continue to take away all the rights that these men fought for.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

It is good to rebury this soldier in a manner worthy of his service.I find it curious how we've romanticized the most horrifying period of our Nation's existence! My ancestors fought in all the major wars waged on American Soil, in this war for they fought for the North, New York State to be exact, and from the relics I have and from what I've read, this was a really nasty and terrible war.How come we don't dress as Native Americans, English Settlers and the French then hunt each other down throughout the Northeast like animals?Is there a day coming when we will dress up as Viet Cong and American soldiers and pretend to destroy each other?? Relive the "glories" of the 60's and the Johnson era?It is good to remember the past and be aware of it so we don't repeat it. To be obsessed with it and recreate it? hmmmmmmmDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Kari

Re: (djkeev)

Post by Kari »

You do raise an interesting point...and I wanted to point out that I do believe there are Revolutionary War re-enactors as well, so it's not just the Civil War.
GenVibe Global Moderator
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Dave---I get what you're saying. There's no doubt that the Civil War (any war) was a nasty affair (I'm reading my first book about it). I don't think re-enactors are trying to relive the 'glory' days of war, but try to get us to remember what the wars were fought for. Many of the re-enactors were actual descendants of soldiers from the war, and they probably feel it's a great way to draw closer to them. The neat thing about this ceremony is that is showed how we moved on as a country--how it has healed. This was very evident to those there when we saw the two sons of actual CW soldiers sitting together at the ceremony.
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, I do love that era of US history and life, I just don't get it. People invest big money and a LOT of time into doing this. I know some that participate.To each their own I guess.Probably not too different than a group of people owning the same car and forming a club. (who would do such a thing!!?!??)Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...I hadn't remembered the "muzzle down" position until your picture...Thanks!ex-USN ('63-'71)
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »Probably not too different than a group of people owning the same car and forming a club. (who would do such a thing!!?!??)DaveOnly crazy people I guess.... lol.