Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ou.grizzly

Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission

Post by ou.grizzly »

Over the last few days, when I initially shift the Vibe into Drive or Reverse, there is a slight noticeable jerk. A light groan noise too if that is a precise description. The car seems it wants to "go".Was wondering does anyone experience this and was not sure if it is normal or not.Thanks Again... Seems I missed the "f" in the word "shifting" in the title.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

are you at all on a hill or incline? are the rev's up? is it really cold? I always use the parking brake since owning the vibe. Helps a ton on hills, so when shifting the transmission isnt "forced" into gear because it moved after put in park. So you stop, pull up parking brake, shift into park. and the car wont jerk back/forward as its braked. If you didnt do that, it would be, stop, shift into Park then let off the brake and the car would slightly roll. Then trying to shift into R or D results in a hard shift. Also if its cold the linkage could be hard and cause a "hard" jerk feel...and the fluid is cold.
ou.grizzly

Re: (northvibe)

Post by ou.grizzly »

This is on a flat surface and the vehicle has been running.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
kunkstyle

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by kunkstyle »

Assuming you're not moving at all when shifting, Have you checked ATF fluid? When was the last time it was changed? Could be a little low, dirty, or it could be a stuck solenoid. I've always found the Vibe to be a little 'shuddery' when shifting, but it sounds like yours just started doing this.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
zubbyzu

Re: Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission (ou.grizzly)

Post by zubbyzu »

What was the fix to the Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse problem? Thanks
ou.grizzly

Re: Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission (zubbyzu)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by zubbyzu »What was the fix to the Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse problem? ThanksNever got it fixed as it just seems to be nature of the beast.
zubbyzu

Re: Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission (ou.grizzly)

Post by zubbyzu »

Thanks. I was considering taking it in. I have observed the jerk disappears if I let the GT warm up for about a minute in the morning.
vibenvy

Re: Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission (zubbyzu)

Post by vibenvy »

I have noticed this in my '09 GT as well. I just kind of figured it was the way it shifts. I have noticed if you shift it, but wait a second to actually take your foot off the gas it doesn't do it nearly as hard. It's funny though, it reminds me of how my Sunfires would shift with the B&M Shift Plus installed. It makes it feel sportier .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zubbyzu

Re: Shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse - Automatic Transmission (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by zubbyzu »

The jerk occurs only when I go from P to R and the engine is cold. This can't be normal and I plan to take it in next week.
zubbyzu

Post by zubbyzu »

The shop was able to duplicate and correct the issue as a known downshift bug. The car did not loose its (removed) and I think my MPG improved. I am not sure how the bad downshift and poor gas mileage connect but I will find if the increase MPG is real the next time I fill up. They also replaced my missing wheel caps with ones that is black on the inside, could be the new and improved replacement caps.